Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Favorite Movies

Here is a new thread that I hope will bring some interest.

I have quite a few favorite movies. My favorite is still Waterworld with Kevin Costner.

Today's review is about a movie called The Core.

If any of you bus family want to tell of your favorite movies, go to wikipedia, where you can get a description to the plot. Copy and paste here so that we may know what the movie is about.

Thanks in advance for participating.

Here is the plot for The Core.

Plot

A series of disturbances caused by instability in the Earth's electromagnetic field lead geologist Dr. Josh Keyes (Aaron Eckhart) and scientists Serge Leveque (Tchéky Karyo) and Conrad Zimsky (Stanley Tucci) learn that the Earth's molten core has stopped rotating; within a year, the Earth's electromagnetic field will collapse, irradiating the planet. The three develop a plan with the United States government to bore into the Earth's core and plant a series of nuclear charges at precise points to restart the core's motion and restore the field. A former colleague-turned-adversary of Professor Zimsky, the rogue scientist Ed "Braz" Brazzelton (Delroy Lindo), has created a substance he calls "Unobtainium" that gets stronger with heat and pressure. They decide to design a multi-compartment nuclear powered vessel Dr. Brazzelton fittingly names Virgil using this new Element. Dr Braz has also developed a laser capable of quickly boring through solid rock. Keyes then enlists the help of computer hacker Theodore Donald "Rat" Finch (DJ Qualls), to keep news of the potential global disaster off the Internet and stem a worldwide panic.
Virgil is piloted by space shuttle Commander Robert Iverson (Bruce Greenwood) and Major Rebecca "Beck" Childs (Hilary Swank). When the team accidentally drills through a geode structure, it drops a considerable distance. When molten lava begins pouring into the hollow from the hole they created, Iverson has to go outside to restart the ship's laser before the lava reaches them, making repairs impossible. After he finishes the repairs, a falling crystal shard hits the top of Iverson's helmet and pierces his skull, killing him instantly.
As Virgil continues, it clips a huge diamond, breaching the hull of the last compartment. Leveque sacrifices himself to save the nuclear launch codes before the compartment is crushed by extreme pressure. Virgil eventually reaches the molten core. The new data they gather there reveals a flaw in the plan. The outer layer of the Earth's Core is less dense than anticipated, and the explosions cannot generate the needed power. After some calculations, they decide that by splitting their nuclear weapons into the remaining compartments and jettisoning each at specific distances, they can create a "ripple effect", where the power of each bomb will push against the blast of the next, generating the needed energy wave. However, because Virgil was not designed to jettison undamaged compartments, the plan requires someone to deactivate a safety switch that is in an area exposed to the extreme temperatures. Brazzelton volunteers- and deactivates the switch, dying shortly afterwards.
Meanwhile on the surface, the public becomes aware of problems after super storms start to cover the world. Finch is unable to stop worldwide panic but instead learns of the top-secret project "DESTINI" (Deep Earth Seismic Trigger INItiative), which is to be deployed if the Virgil mission fails. Finch relays his information to Keyes, who discovers that Zimsky was one of DESTINI's lead scientists. DESTINI, according to Zimsky, was designed as a weapon to propagate earthquakes through the Earth's core, but it has unintentionally stopped its rotation instead. Zimsky reveals the government will use it again to attempt a restart of the core. Keyes is convinced it will have disastrous results, so he has Finch hack into DESTINI's systems- to try to buy time. While working to set up their detonations. Keyes and Zimsky realize they have miscalculated the necessary yield, but Zimsky gets trapped in a detaching compartment. He reveals that they need to use the ship's nuclear fuel Pod to achieve the sufficient yield, which will save the planet but leave Keyes and Childs without power.
Because of the unique properties of the Unobtanium shell of the ship, Keyes and Childs are able to use the planet's heat and pressure to power the command section of the ship, escaping as the nuclear charges successfully restart the core. They break through the crust underwater, leaving them adrift. They believe themselves lost, until Finch finds them by tracking whale songs from a nearby pod circling the vessel. A week after the mission, Finch logs onto a computer at an internet cafe and releases the information about Project DESTINI- the Crew of Virgil- and their mission onto the Internet.
[edit]Cast

Old 05-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Favorite Movies

Kinda sounds like "Journey to the Center of the Earth"
Old 05-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
Kinda sounds like "Journey to the Center of the Earth"
Well, they did go to the center of the Earth.

So, Greyeagle, please post one of your favorite movies. Remember, you can get a description of it on Wikipedia.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

All of the following plot briefs come from the Internet Movie Database (http://www.imdb.com) except for Sky High, which I just wrote here myself. Actors' names and square-bracketed comments inserted by me. Blue text designates my comments. The following are my favorites that immediately come to mind in approximate descending order. Sky Hi is not way up on my favories but I include it here becase the heroes' vehicle is a school bus.

Groundhog Day (1993) Bill Murray, Andie MacDowell
A weather man (Murray) is reluctantly sent to cover a story about a weather forecasting "rat" (as he calls it). This is his fourth year on the story, and he makes no effort to hide his frustration. On awaking the 'following' day he discovers that it's Groundhog Day again, and again, and again. First he uses this to his advantage, then comes the realisation that he is doomed to spend the rest of eternity in the same place, seeing the same people do the same thing EVERY day. [Or is he?]
The key to the plot resolution is the Ebenezer Scrooge-like evolving of the weatherman's character from narcissist to decent human being.

Spaceballs (1987) Mel Brooks, Bill Pullman, Daphne Zuniga, Dick Van Patten
King Roland (Van Patten) of the planet Druidia is trying to marry his daughter Princess Vespa (Zuniga) to Prince Valium, but Vespa is kidnapped by the evil race of the Spaceballs [led by President Skroob (Brooks)]. The Spaceballs ask Roland a tremendous ransom: all the air of Druidia (you see, the air of Spaceball had serious pollution problems...). The King decides to offer a generous amount of money to a space rogue, Lone Starr (Pullman), to persuade him to save Vespa. What follows is the parody of a _LOT_ of famous SF movies.
Of course, I like Eagle One, Lone Starr's winged Winnebago converted to a spaceship.

Back to the Future (1985) Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Crispin Glover
Marty McFly (Fox), a typical American teenager of the Eighties, is accidentally sent back to 1955 in a plutonium-powered DeLorean "time machine" invented by slightly mad scientist (Lloyd). During his often hysterical, always amazing trip back in time, Marty must make certain his teenage parents-to-be (Thompson & Glover) meet and fall in love - so he can get back to the future.
OK, I can appreciate the DeLorean, but wouldn't it have been funnier (comical contrast between form and function) if Marty could have asked, "you made a time machine...out of an old school bus (Winnebago, Dodge Aspen, etc.)?"
Also, the writers handle fairly well what in time travel discussions is called the Grandfather Paradox (or in this case the Father Paradox) in the form of a 1980's photo Marty has of his family. In it, he and his siblings start to disappear as the screwed up past makes there future existence less likely. Not covered is the fact that the McFly's would discover that their oldest son turns out to be a dead ringer for that Calvin Klein guy they met back in high school.

Independence Day (1996) Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, Will Smith
On July 2nd, communications systems worldwide are sent into chaos by a strange atmospheric interference. It is soon learned by the military that a number of enormous objects are on a collision course with Earth. At first thought to be meteors, they are later revealed to be gigantic spacecraft, piloted by a mysterious alien species. After attempts to communicate with the aliens go nowhere, David Levinson (Goldblum), an ex-scientist turned cable technician, discovers that the aliens are going to attack major points around the globe in less than a day. On July 3rd, the aliens all but obliterate New York, Los Angeles, and Washington. The survivors set out in convoys towards Area 51, a strange government testing ground where it is rumored the military has a captured alien spacecraft of their own. The survivors [led by the President of the United States (Pullman)] devise a plan to fight back against the enslaving aliens, and July 4th becomes the day humanity will fight for its freedom. July 4th is their Independence Day. [Will Smith plays an Air Force captain and fighter pilot who has the best lines in the movie, like "Welcome to Earth!" before he punches an alien's lights out.]
Among the survivors who converge on Area 51 are some hippies/alien followers in their late 1960's Chevy/Superior school bus

Escape to Witch Mountain (1975), Kim Richards, Ike Eisenman, Donald Pleasance, Ray Miland, Eddie Albert
Tia (Richards) and Tony (Eisenman) are two orphaned youngsters with extraordinary powers. Lucas Deranian (Pleasance) poses as their uncle in order to get the kids into the clutches of Deranian's megalomanical boss, evil millionaire Aristotle Bolt (Miland), who wants to exploit them. Jason (Albert), a cynical widower, helps Tia and Tony "escape to witch mountain," while at the same time Tia and Tony help Jason escape the pain of the loss of his wife.
I've already been given a hard time about liking this one on account of Jason O'Day's 1974 Winnebago Minnie Winnie

Sky High (2005) Kurt Russell, Kelly Preston, Kevin Heffernan
Teenage misfits with super powers go to a special high school suspended in the sky to learn how to be super heroes. The unsung hero who saves the day, though, may well be the school bus driver (Heffernan) who is instrumental in getting one of the key characters back to the climactic fight against the super villains. A modified-for-flight Carpenter-bodied International school bus is this movies Eagle One (see Spaceballs, above), or Batmobile.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
Here is a new thread that I hope will bring some interest.
I have quite a few favorite movies. My favorite is still Waterworld with Kevin Costner.
Though panned by anal-retentive critics, Waterworld has a following. My gf and I do like it a lot.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We try to only keep movies that we will watch repeatedly. I watch them repeatedly because I like the movie. David watches them because he doesn't remember the plot. Sometimes I buy a movie that I haven't watched and then get rid of it because it wasn't a "keeper"

Some of my "Keepers" (in no particular order)...

Sneakers (1992)
Martin Bishop is the head of a group of experts who specialize in testing security systems. When he is blackmailed by Government agents into stealing a top secret black box, the team find themselves embroiled in a game of danger and intrigue. After they recover the box, they discover that it has the capability to decode all existing encryption systems around the world, and that the agents who hired them didn't work for the Government after all...

I love the story. I love the actors. I love the music.

Cosmo: I cannot kill my friend.
(to his henchmen)
Cosmo: Kill my friend.
-----------------
Carl: It's fascinating what fifty bucks will get you at the county recorder's office.
Martin Bishop: What have you got?
Carl: Playtronics Corporate Headquarters, the complete blueprints.
Martin Bishop: Not bad. Not bad, Carl.
Carl: Well, thanks.
Martin Bishop: Where'd you get the fifty bucks?
Carl: Took it from Mother's wallet.
Martin Bishop: Good.

Young Frankenstein (1974
A young neurosurgeon (Gene Wilder) inherits the castle of his grandfather, the famous Dr. Victor von Frankenstein. In the castle he finds a funny hunchback called Igor, a pretty lab assistant named Inga and the old housekeeper, frau Blucher -iiiiihhh!-. Young Frankenstein believes that the work of his grandfather is only crap, but when he discovers the book where the mad doctor described his reanimation experiment, he suddenly changes his mind...
I just love everything about this movie. Including the "Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte" also known as Black Forest Cherry Cake.... MMMMMMM!

Igor: What is this?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Schwartzwalder Kirschtorte.
The Monster: (off-screen) MMMMMMM!
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Oh, do you like it? I'm not partial to desserts myself, but this is excellent.
Igor: Who are you talking to?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: To you. You just made a yummy sound, so I thought you liked the dessert.
Igor: I didn't make a yummy sound, I just asked you what it is.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: But you did. I just heard it.
Igor: It wasn't me.
Inga: It wasn't me.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Well, now look here. If it wasn't you, and it wasn't you...
(he asks himself)
The Monster: (off-camera) Mmmmmm!
--------------
(Froederick and Igor are exhuming a dead criminal)
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What a filthy job.
Igor: Could be worse.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: How?
Igor: Could be raining.
(it starts to pour)
----------------------
Inga: Werewolf!
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Werewolf?
Igor: There.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What?
Igor: There, wolf. There, castle.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Why are you talking that way?
Igor: I thought you wanted to.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No, I don't want to.
Igor: (shrugs) Suit yourself. I'm easy.

To Be Or Not To Be (1983)
A bad Polish actor is just trying to make a living when what should intrude but World War II in the form of an invasion. His wife has the habit of entertaining young Polish officers while he's on stage which is also a source of depression to him. When one of her officers comes back on a Secret Mission, the actor takes charge and comes up with a plan for them to escape.
You gotta just love "Heil Myself"

Promo for the movie..

Then of course there's
The History of the World Part 1
From the dawn of man to the distant future, mankind's evolution (or lack thereof) is traced. Often ridiculous but never serious, we learn the truth behind the Roman Emperor, we learn what REALLY happened at the Last Supper, the circumstances that surrounded the French Revolution, how to test eunuchs, and what kind of shoes the Spanish Inquisitor wore.

Of course then there was Jews In Space AKA SpaceBalls (see above with )
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Groundhog Day is a fun movie.

Here is a movie starring Martin Lawrence that I can watch over and over. It is called The Black Knight.

Jamal Walker (Martin Lawrence) is an everyday slacker with a job at a crummy theme park called Medieval World, which is about to receive big competition from another theme park, Castle World. While cleaning a moat surrounding the park, he finds a medallion in the moat and when he tries to retrieve it he gets sucked into the past. He awakes in an alternate universe version of England, 1328, where he is first met by a drunkard named Knolte. He then searches for Medieval World, but he finds a castle that he thinks is Castle World, so he decides to check it out. The tenants of the castle believe him to be a French Moor, from Normandy, because he tells them he is from Florence and Normandie, a famous intersection in South Central Los Angeles.
Jamal is soon taken in by the reigning king, King Leo (Kevin Conway). He is assumed to be a messenger from Normandy who the king believes to be bringing news of an alliance between England and Normandy. Although at first Jamal thinks that all the people around him are just actors in a theme park he changes his mind when he witnesses a beheading. He gives his name as Jamal "Sky" Walker after his high school basketball nickname, and, after gaining trust from the king by accidentally preventing his assassination, Jamal is made a lord and head of security. While all of this is going on, Jamal finds out about the ruthless way the king came to power by overthrowing the former queen. He learns from Victoria (Marsha Thomason), a chambermaid, and Sir Knolte (Tom Wilkinson), a former knight of the queen who has become an alcoholic and whom he met when he first awoke there. Through their help and his own realization of the situation, Jamal soon understands he must help overthrow King Leo and help restore the queen to her throne. He manages to convince decimated rebels to gather their forces and overthrow the king.
After the Queen's reign is restored, Jamal is knighted by her and during the dubbing he awakes back at Medieval World surrounded by his co-workers and a medical team who saved him from drowning in the moat. After being saved Jamal's whole attitude changes and he helps his boss to make Medieval World better so that Castle World will not run them out of business. Later on, Jamal takes a walk around the new Medieval World and he meets a woman named Nicole (Marsha Thomason) who looks just like Victoria. They talk a little and he asks her out to lunch. Unfortunately, Jamal forgets to get Nicole's number and when he tries to catch up to her, he accidentally falls back into the moat, and wakes up in Ancient Rome, where he is about to be devoured by lions.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Thanks to you who have responded to this thread. Here is the plot to my favorite movie called Waterworld. The most favorite thing of the movie, for me, was that way cool boat that he had.

In the future (year 2500), the polar ice caps have melted due to global warming, and the sea level has risen hundreds of meters, covering every continent and turning Earth into a water planet. Human population has been scattered across the ocean in individual, isolated communities consisting of artificial islands and mostly decrepit sea vessels. It was so long since the events that the humans eventually forgot that there were continents in the first place and that there is a place on Earth called "Dryland", a mythical place.
A drifter, known only as "the Mariner", sails the seas in his trimaran. He enters an artificial atoll city in the shallower part of the ocean seeking to trade dirt, which is a precious commodity. He is instantly asked how he found it, but he refuses. It is later revealed that he is not a human, but a mutant with webbed feet and gills, an evolutionary step in some of the humans to accommodate the changes in climate. The fearful atollers vote to "recycle" him by drowning him in a yellow sludge brine pool. At that moment, local sea pirates, known as "Smokers", raid the atoll, having been tipped off by a Smoker spy posing as a trader, known as "the Nord".
The Smokers are searching for an orphan girl named Enola, who has what appears to be a map and directions to Dryland tattooed on her back. The girl and her guardian, Helen, the atoll's shopkeeper, plan to escape with Gregor, the atoll's expert inventor, in the hopes of finding Dryland. Unfortunately, Gregor's escape method, a hydrogen-filled balloon made of old rags, launches too early with him on it, leaving Helen and Enola stranded. They instead escape with the Mariner, who agrees to take them with him because they saved his life, though he is ill at ease with their company, as he prefers solitude, and finds them to be a nuisance. Chasing them is "the Deacon", who is the captain of a derelict oil tanker, the Exxon Valdez, and the leader of the Smokers, who are armed with old military weapons and jet skis. He wants the map to Dryland to arrive and build a first city in which he will rule and has a number of skirmishes with the Mariner while trying to get Enola. After Helen's naive actions during a battle with the Smokers result in significant damage to the Mariner's boat, he angrily cuts their hair very short. After this incident, the Mariner gradually warms up to them and teaches Enola to swim in case of an emergency.
Helen convinced that Dryland exists and she demands to know where the Mariner finds his dirt. The Mariner, able to breathe underwater, puts her in a diving bell and swims down to the ruins of Denver, where he collects the dirt and other items from the bottom of the sea for trade, with Helen realizing that this is the former civilization (she believed that the humans always lived on water, not on the land). While they are underwater, the Deacon and his Smokers board the boat, burn it, and capture Enola while the Mariner and Helen barely escape. Since Helen cannot breathe underwater, the Mariner breathes for the both of them, resulting in an underwater kiss of life. They resurface and board the wreckage of the Mariner's trimaran, where they are later rescued by Gregor. He takes them to a new makeshift atoll where the survivors of the first atoll attack have regrouped.
Using a jet ski, the Mariner chases down the Exxon Valdez and boards it. There, the Deacon is having a celebration, tossing gifts of cigarettes and Smeat (a Spam-like canned meat) to the crew, proclaiming they have found the map to Dryland. After they have all gone below decks to row, the Mariner walks out onto the deck and threatens to drop a flare into the oil reserves unless the Deacon releases Enola. The Deacon, into believing that the Mariner is bluffing, refuses, so the Mariner drops the flare into a vent of the oil reserve tank. The ship explodes, and the Mariner escapes with Enola by climbing a rope up to Gregor's balloon. The Deacon, still alive, makes a grab for Enola, but Helen throws a metal object which strikes him in the forehead, causing him to fall into the water. He pulls out his pistol and shoots at the balloon, hitting one of the lines, causing Enola to fall into the sea. The Deacon and two other Smokers, all on jet skis, converge on Enola. The Mariner ties a bungee cord around his ankle and jumps down to grab Enola, pulling her out of the water just as the jet skis collide and explode.
Gregor deciphers the map, translating the Asian symbols using an old and tattered China Airlines magazine. He realizes that they are latitude and longitude coordinates, and steers his balloon in that direction. The group finds Dryland, which turns out to be the peak of Mount Everest, still above sea level and no longer a snowy peak, where they find horses and other wildlife. Gregor, Enola, Helen and the others land and find the remains of Enola's parents in a hut. The group prepares to settle, but the Mariner decides he must leave, explaining to Enola that the ocean, his only home, calls to him. He sails away, taking a boat left by the former inhabitants.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Man of the House (2005)
Texas Ranger Roland Sharp (Tommy Lee Jones) is assigned to protect the only witnesses to the murder of a key figure in the prosecution of a drug kingpin -- a group of University of Texas cheerleaders. Sharp must now go undercover as an assistant cheerleading coach and move in with the young women.

Favourite quote: "This is my happy face".

The Fugitive (1993)
A well respected Chicago surgeon Dr. Richard Kimble has found out that his wife, Helen, has been murdered ferociously in her own home. The police found Kimble and accused him of the murder. Then, Kimble (without Justifiable Reason) was tried, convicted, and sentenced to death. However, on the way to prison, Kimble's transport crashed. Kimble escapes and is now on the run. Deputy Samuel Gerard from Chicago takes charge of the chase of Kimble. Meanwhile, Kimble makes up his own investigation to find who really killed his wife, and to lure Gerard and his team into it as well.

Aside from the fact that I like watching Tommy Lee Jones act.... the train wreck, chase to the dam and the leap from the dam are all filmed in an area I used to live near. You can even see the sign pointing to "Murphy" that is outside of Almond, NC. The train scenes were filmed in Dillsboro, North Carolina. The engine used (which was not destroyed) now pulls a dinner train. During a ride on that train, props from the making of the film can be seen, including the prison bus and the shell of the engine that crashed into the bus. The wrecked train and bus remain a tourist attraction in Dillsboro, North Carolina. They may have moved all that to Bryson City since the train no longer runs as far as Dillsboro. Dillsboro is next to the town of Sylva, where the local hospital was used for filming the hospital scenes in the beginning of the film and the ambulance get-away. The dam used in the exterior shots is Cheoah Dam, Tapoco, Graham County, North Carolina, USA. The dam can be viewed clearly from North Carolina State Highway 129, just north of Tapoco. I thought it was Fontana Dam until I looked it up. This is one of the movies I watch when I get to missing the mountains too much.

US Marshalls (199 The sequel to The Fugitive
When a prisoner transport plane crashes, one prisoner, Mark Sheridan, skillfully escapes and save lives at the same time. Deputy Sam Gerard and his team of U.S. Marshals pursue relentlessly, but Gerard begins to suspect that there is more to the exceptional fugitive than what he has been told. Meanwhile, Sheridan struggles to avoid capture while seeking answers of his own. Until the final scene, both Gerard and Sheridan are in jeopardy of the unknown.

Last of the Mohicans (1992)
British and French troops do battle in colonial America, with aid from various native American war parties. The British troops enlist the help of local colonial militia men, who are reluctant to leave their homes undefended. A budding romance between a British officer's daughter and an independent man who was reared as a Mohican complicates things for the British officer, as the adopted Mohican pursues his own agenda despite the wrath of different people on both sides of the conflict.
I like the book (J.F. Cooper) but it's not much like the movie. I don't care much for Daniel Day-Lewis but I do like Wes Studi. This is my other "I miss the mountains" movies as it was shot mostly on the Biltmore Estate (Asheville, NC), about 1 hour east of where I used to live and also at Chimney Rock.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Wag The Dog (1997)
After being caught in a scandalous situation days before the election, the president does not seem to have much of a chance of being re-elected. One of his advisers contacts a top Hollywood producer in order to manufacture a war in Albania that the president can heroically end, all through mass media.

Runway Jury (2003)
Wendell Rohr is a torts lawyer taking on the gun lobby. Rankin Fitch is the jury consultant for the Defendants and between them the battle is for the hearts and minds of the jury. But there is someone on the inside. Nicholas Easter is a juror with a girlfriend, Marlee, on the outside. they have a past ..... and their own agenda.
The much anticipated bathroom scene in Runaway Jury, where Rohr confronts Finch is the first ever dialog in a movie between Dustin Hoffman and Gene Hackman. It was written while the rest of the movie was being filmed, after someone on the crew found out that the two, though they had been friends since 1956, had never starred in a movie together. It was finally shot on a single day at the very end, weeks after both Hackman and Hoffman had finished their other work.

Labyrinth (1986)
Young Sarah is left home alone by her parents and she has to babysit her little brother Toby. But the baby keeps crying and Sarah, while telling him a story to make him sleep, inadvertently conjures from a fantasy world the Goblin King who steals the child and brings him to his castle in the middle of a labyrinth. Sarah has to rescue him before midnight, or the baby will became a goblin.
Like many of Henson's "non-muppet" movies, this is a film that older kids as well as adults can watch and each will come away with a different perspective of the same story. And I really like David Bowie's singing. The book (The Labyrinth) explains the background of the story quite a bit more.

Fav Quote:
Jareth: "Fear me, love me, do as I say and I would be your slave!"

Another grownup Henson film:
The Dark Crystal (1982)
Another planet, another time. 1000 years ago the mysterious Dark Crystal was damaged by one of the Urskeks and an age of chaos has began! The evil race of grotesque birdlike lizards the Skeksis, gnomish dragons who rule their fantastic planet with an iron claw. Meanwhile the orphan Jen, raised in solitude by a race of the peace-loving wizards called the Mystics, embarks on a quest to find the missing shard of the Dark Crystal which gives the Skesis their power and restore the balance of the universe.
If you have small children, you may want to either watch this first before letting them watch it or have them watch it on a very sunny day in the afternoon. It may give them nightmares

Mirror Mask (2005)
In a fantasy world of opposing kingdoms, a 15-year old girl named Helena who works at the family circus with her father and mother, who wishes--quite ironically--that she could run away from the circus and join 'real life'. But such is not to be the case, as she finds herself on a strange journey into the Dark Lands, a fantastic landscape filled with giants, Monkeybirds and dangerous sphinxes. She must find the fabled MirrorMask in order to save the kingdom and get back home.
If you like surreal, dark fastasies with happy endings, then you might like this one. The girls & I liked it, but we are a bit odd.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
Bus Nut

At the risk of some members questioning my manhood...

Letters to Juliet (2010) Amanda Seyfried
An American girl (Seyfried) on vacation in Italy finds an unanswered "letter to Juliet" -- one of thousands of missives left at the fictional lover's Verona courtyard, which are typically answered by a the "secretaries of Juliet" -- and she goes on a quest to find the lovers referenced in the letter.
It only scored an average of 6.5 out of 10 points among those writing reviews on imdb.com, but my gf and I found it a delight.

The Mirror Has Two Faces (1997) Barbra Streisand, Jeff Bridges
Rose (Streisand) and Gregory (Bridges), both Columbia University professors meet when Rose's sister answers Gregory's "personals" ad. Several times burned, the handsome-but-boring Gregory believes that sex has ruined his life, and has deliberately set out to find and marry a woman with absolutely no sex appeal. Greg thinks he's found what he's looking for in Rose, a plain, plump English Lit professor who can't compete with her gorgeous mother and sister. More out of mutual admiration and respect than love, Greg and Rose marry. Greg assumes that Rose understands that he is not interested in a sexual relationship. He's mistaken, and their marriage is nearly destroyed when Rose tries to consummate their relationship. While Gregory is out of the country on a lecture tour, Rose diets and exercises to transform herself into a sexy siren in a last-ditch attempt to save her marriage.
Comment: same as Juliet above.

And for the opposite side of my personality:
The Terminator movies (especially T2: Judgment Day). Lazy me figures these are well-known enough to need no introduction.

Demolition Man (1993) Sylvester Stallone, Wesley Snipes
Frozen in 1996, Phoenix (Snipes), a convicted killer is "thawed" out for parole well into the 21st century. Revived into a crime free society, Phoenix resumes his murderous rampage, and no one can stop him. Spartan (Stallone), the cop who captured Phoenix in 1996 has also been cryogenically frozen, this time for a crime he didn't commit. In desperation they turn to Spartan to help recapture Phoenix.
These violent movies have some great bits of dry humor sprinkled through them. I got a kick out of Demolition Man's satire of corporate America gobbling up other companies like a Wall Street Pac Man: all restaurants are Taco Bells, regardless of cuisine. DM is also a great movie for Oldsmobile fans. A cool red 1970 4-4-2 coupe is this movie's counterpart to the General Lee, minus the moonshine. Oh yes, I also like the 2005 Dukes of Hazzard movie...one of the best things to come out of 2005. My gf likes these too except for Hazzard.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I really enjoyed Groundhog Day, and have seen it at least twice - I would see it again. I remember really liking Escape to Witch Mountain as well when it first came out in the 70's. Waterworld is another cool movie for sure. How about that scene where Costner pees into this contraption that filters the pee and when it comes out the other side he drinks it again. Oh no he DIDN'T!

Some of my favorites are:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon:
Two warriors in pursuit of a stolen sword and a notorious fugitive are led to an impetuous, physically-skilled, teenage nobleman's daughter, who is at a crossroads in her life.
Director: Ang Lee
Stars: Yun-Fat Chow, Michelle Yeoh, Ziyi Zhang
[I just love the vibe of this movie]

The Princess Bride:
A classic fairy tale, with swordplay, giants, an evil prince, a beautiful princess, and yes, some kissing (as read by a kindly grandfather).
Director: Rob Reiner
Stars: Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, Chris Sarandon
[What can I say, this is a cult classic!]

Lord of the Rings Movies: No description needed, I think.
[Just pure awesomeness]

Memento:
A man, suffering from short-term memory loss, uses notes and tattoos to hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
Director: Christopher Nolan
Stars: Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano | See full cast and crew
[This one is such a mind-bender. The plot plays out in reverse order, and it's really challenging to follow. I had to watch it twice just to understand it, but once I did, it was fascinating].

Pride and Prejudice:
Sparks fly when spirited Elizabeth Bennet meets single, rich, and proud Mr. Darcy. But Mr. Darcy reluctantly finds himself falling in love with a woman beneath his class. Can each overcome their own pride and prejudice?
Director: Joe Wright
Writers:Jane Austen (novel), Deborah Moggach (screenplay)
Stars: Keira Knightley, Donald Sutherland, Brenda Blethyn
[This one took a while to grow on me. I have started to appreciate these Jane Austen adaptations, if for no other reason than to just revel in the quirkiness of the social morays of the time and place represented].

I'm sure there are many more, but I'll leave at that for the time being.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

A fun movie with Christina Applegate is called Just Visiting. It also stars Jean Reno

The backstory takes place in 12th century England, where Lord Thibault is about to marry Princess Rosalind, the daughter of the reigning King. At the wedding banquet, an enemy gives Thibault a potion which makes him hallucinate, and under its influence, he kills his own bride (rather than her father, as in the French version) believing she is a ferocious monster. While under sentence of death, he asks a wizard to give him a drug that will send him back to the moment before he killed Princess Rosalind. The incompetent wizard botches the spell, and instead, Thibault and his servant are sent into the 21st century.
They end up in a museum in Chicago where they are arrested by the police. They are rescued by Julia Malféte (Christina Applegate), a museum employee who closely resembles Princess Rosalind. She thinks that Thibault is her relative who drowned while yachting a couple of years ago. Thibault soon finds out that Julia is descended from his family and realizes he must return to the 12th century to correct the past. Julia introduces them to the modern American style of life where norms from medieval times no longer apply. Before the return to his time, Thibault decides to protect Julia from her money-hungry fiance Hunter (Matt Ross). Meanwhile, his servant Andre falls for a pretty gardener, Angelique (Tara Reid) who presents him with the world of equal rights for all people.
The wizard realizes his mistake and decides to time travel into the future to help Thibault. After he finds him, he successfully prepares a potion for returning to the past. Hunter decides to prevent Thibault by interfering with his plans but Julia finds out his real intentions and breaks up with him. Before he leaves, Thibault tells Julia that she will meet a new and better boyfriend. Then he and the wizard drink the potion and return to the past just before the killing of Princess Rosalind. Hunter finds the remainder of the potion which sends him to the 12th century where he is captured.