Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Finally got my bus painted

After 1 week of grinding and sanding loose flaking paint I finally got the bus painted. The past 2 days I spent putting masking paper over the windows and washing the bus with solvent. Then today I painted it.

I have one sore back now but it is finally done. My wife wanted the bumpers white but I think it looks bad. What do you all think about silver or black?

busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
I'm hopin' the last two are 'before' pictures?

I couldn't make up my mind about the bumpers either... the front one's white the back one's gray, they both look OK...

Great paint job!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:54 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 366 Gas
I too have a white chevy bus and I painted the bumpers black....You can see what it looks like in the Gallery page 9 Bus name is Road Trip. Nice work on your bus.....
Old 10-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
I too have a white chevy bus and I painted the bumpers black....You can see what it looks like in the Gallery page 9 Bus name is Road Trip. Nice work on your bus.....
i think this is the right bus?

I like the black bumpers
Old 10-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Wow you have a nice lookin bus. Since I am going to sell this one I am not going to do much to customize it. The other half wants the bumpers to be silver. I think black would loog good, but she knows better.

Thanks for all the kind words. I will never buy a bus again that was painted by somebody that did not know how to paint. The prep work killed me. I am still hurting from holding that big ole grinder.

I should have rented a sandblaster to save my back. I am sure it would have gone much faster. Now tomorrow I need to put the lights and mirrors back on. Then I will rebuild the master cylinder, change all the fluids and be ready to sell her.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
Bus Geek

i've considered buying an extra bus or 2 per year from the local school district, gutting it, painting it and seeing if i can make a little profit selling it on ebay. I've yet to act on this idea, but i have considered it.

I don't think there is much money in selling buses converted to RV's as the amount of time required to create the masterpiece is worth far more than people are willing to pay.

however, If i got a bus for $1,000 and put $100 worth of paint on it, plus the $50 i'd get paid from the scrap yard for all the seats it seems likely i could sell it for nearly double what i paid for it. If the weather cooperated i think i could do the entire project in a week.

Perhaps i'll try it this spring. I would immagine that a 92 or newer bus with an international dt360 or 466 and auto trans would go for more than 1K on ebay. I think it would be pretty difficult to loose money on the project.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #7
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
I think there's a lot of people who don't get into the bus conversion simply because they have no way to paint the bus quickly. If you bought them, stripped the seats and painted them I bet you could make a few bucks each for sure. That would be a lot of saved time and effort.
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote