Old 01-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #1

Finding a location to work on a Skoolie

Hello everyone!

New to the Skoolie community but I have been reading a bunch on the forums already trying to understand everything needed into a flip and I've learned so much already!

A question I had in mine to help me get further with the planning process is that I am curious to find out where I should store my bus while I'll be working on it. I live in an apartment complex currently and I don't really have any land or storage space that I could work on it as of now.

More or less wanted to see what you guys have done. I know almost all the RV storage places in Orange County don't alllow you to do any major construction on vehicles and what not. Maybe find someone renting out a lot on Craigslist? Move out to the boonies? Just need some direction as where I should look. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks y'all!
Jasonbrown177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonbrown177 View Post
Hello everyone!

New to the Skoolie community but I have been reading a bunch on the forums already trying to understand everything needed into a flip and I've learned so much already!

A question I had in mine to help me get further with the planning process is that I am curious to find out where I should store my bus while I'll be working on it. I live in an apartment complex currently and I don't really have any land or storage space that I could work on it as of now.

More or less wanted to see what you guys have done. I know almost all the RV storage places in Orange County don't alllow you to do any major construction on vehicles and what not. Maybe find someone renting out a lot on Craigslist? Move out to the boonies? Just need some direction as where I should look. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks y'all!
Well...you are kinda close to slab city...because of that art collective fire they really ain't too keen on this kinda DIY project huh?...

Try industrial areas...there's gotta be some vacant lots...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
If you're willing to go to an industrial area you may actually be able to find a paying or free place to park for providing a bit of security just by being there.

I don't know what size bus you're talking about yet, but I'm living proof that you can live in a bus and work on it at the same time. Front half, back half. Yeah you might get a little insulation in your everything but it all works out. One day you finally stop finding rivets from your demolition phase too.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3L T444 Navistar Diesel Automatic
Hello Jason,

Welcome to the wonderful world that is the skoolie life.

What part of Orange County are you in?

I'm sort of in the same situation that you are, except that I am attempting to live on the bus at the same time.

Right now I have it parked at the end of a long private driveway in an apartment complex that is owned by a friend of mine.

You wouldn't believe how much flak I have been getting from people by being here. Even though I have done an excellent job of keeping to myself and trying to be a positive influence in the small apartment complex that I am now a part of, people are bitching left and right.

I will probably have to move soon. I had a place lined up in Fallbrook but, evidently, the tenant on that property doesn't want me there either.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why. I'm a normal enough guy, I'm 42 and white and I don't do drugs or drink. I just can't figure it out.

I'm in Costa Mesa, btw.

Maybe we could brainstorm some ideas together and find a solution that would work for everyone.
mikej42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:06 AM   #5

Hey We Live in Irvine

My Fiancee and I also are converting in our bus and living in it

Contact us @ 323-239-7885
OntheroadCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:21 AM   #6
Skoolie

I'm in Riverside County, CA. Let me know what you figure out.

This thread might help you....

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f20/wh...tml#post298659
Old 11-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Having similar issues finding a place in my area that will allow one to work on the vehicle and that is reasonably priced. There are some indoor contractor areas for rent but they cost as much as housing rentals.

I considered teaming up with someone doing something similar and split the rental cost but it appears there is not much interest here.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:17 AM   #8

I’m in the same situation. Had a place lined up but now it’s looking like it’s not going to work out. If anyone in the Seattle area has any tips/leads it would be much appreciated
tfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Tfred,

I know of a number of lots (1/4-1/3acre) with full hookups in the Granite area for $300-350a month.

They are pretty tolerant of bus work and camper living.

When they come available you can find them on CL.

There are a number of folks that have lots there. One that I know is Mr. Grafstra 425 334 9512
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #10

Thank you for the info PNW_Steve!
tfred is offline   Reply With Quote