Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2022, 10:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
I bought mine from a heavy truck salvage yard. Pay attention to the spline count of the axles... Mine had two different possible counts I had to confirm what axles I had so that I got a differential with the correct side gears.

I had choices of open or limited slip and two different axle spline counts.

some of the bigger rear ends you have open diffs, limited slip, and lockable.

In my case I had to pay attention to a "tone ring" -- in mine it is used for vehicle speed sensor -VSS and is also used for the rear axle anti lock braking.

When I started, I was told it was not possible to buy 3.73 rear gears with a tone ring-- this is a ford F450... I found the same axle in international terra stars with a tone ring, and the ratio I wanted....

To give you an idea in a 14,000 lb rated rear axle... I found 3.73 3.91 4.10 4.30 4.54 4.88 5.10 5.38 5.88

I went from 4.88 down to 3.73 but the transmission, change had a much lower 1st gear also.
I paid $800 for the diff inspected, pinion seal changed, 90 day warranty, and shipped from florida to kansas

william
Well, in the mean time, I found a company that does insurance chopshop, and they have what I need. It is called Vander Haags, and it is around Midwest.
I also figured that J1708 and J1939 are just plugs to connect into. I have the J1939 plug and now I just need to know/find the software to connect to ECM.

Thanks for the reply!

radujohn is offline   Reply With Quote