Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Front engine flat nose
Engine: Cat 3126
Floor weight limit

I have a 2004 Thomas 72 passenger flat-nose, front-engine bus. I was going to install some fairly heavy items under the bus - 8' cargo box (500 pounds or more when loaded?), the generator (150 pounds including mounting frame), 175 gallons of fresh water (1600 pounds including container and frame). So about 2500 pounds total. I will attach to the frame whenever I can, but I would also need to hang some of the weight from the "T" supports that the floor rests on. Most of the weight of the roof and side walls are also supported by these cross supports. I estimate that the weight of the seats & passengers would be about the same load as the weight of my interior build-out.

Is this too much weight to hang on these cross "T" supports?

MadCompSci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCompSci View Post
I have a 2004 Thomas 72 passenger flat-nose, front-engine bus. I was going to install some fairly heavy items under the bus - 8' cargo box (500 pounds or more when loaded?), the generator (150 pounds including mounting frame), 175 gallons of fresh water (1600 pounds including container and frame). So about 2500 pounds total. I will attach to the frame whenever I can, but I would also need to hang some of the weight from the "T" supports that the floor rests on. Most of the weight of the roof and side walls are also supported by these cross supports. I estimate that the weight of the seats & passengers would be about the same load as the weight of my interior build-out.

Is this too much weight to hang on these cross "T" supports?
If you click the "User CP" link up at the top, you can edit your profile and let us know what kind of bus you have and where you're located. Not sure what "T" supports you're talking about, but maybe that's your kind of bus.

Edit: er, I guess I could have read the first sentence of your post. At least I'm not one of those people who only read the first sentence.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Still not sure what T supports you're talking about, though - do you have a pic?
Old 09-19-2019, 04:44 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Metal cross pieces that sit on the frame and the floor is screwed to
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Metal cross pieces that sit on the frame and the floor is screwed to
I know how the structure of my own bus (an International) is formed (from this video: ) and there isn't really anything like a T-support (the stiffeners could maybe be described that way), but I don't know how Thomases are built. Do you happen to know of any links for something like that?
Old 09-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Last week I started my conversion by starting on under body storage. I had the idea that I was going to hang the tool boxes from the floor pan. It became apparent that although the pan could support static weight that there was the possibility that dynamic force over time could pull the bolts through. I decided that if I wanted a box that could carry 4 or 5 hundred pounds (insane outside possibly, but keeping in the overbuilt bus theme) that I would need to rethink Support. What I ended up doing was to install longer unistrut to catch the C channel.

The outside all-thread hangs from the C channel. The inside one hold the box tight to the lower unistrut
Attached Thumbnails
9C9C035D-C44C-4C18-9F96-CFB575E0FED2.jpg   1555A4E2-0600-4823-8BFC-79CCC025E99F.jpg  
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Last week I started my conversion by starting on under body storage. I had the idea that I was going to hang the tool boxes from the floor pan. It became apparent that although the pan could support static weight that there was the possibility that dynamic force over time could pull the bolts through. I decided that if I wanted a box that could carry 4 or 5 hundred pounds (insane outside possibly, but keeping in the overbuilt bus theme) that I would need to rethink Support. What I ended up doing was to install longer unistrut to catch the C channel.

The outside all-thread hangs from the C channel. The inside one hold the box tight to the lower unistrut
Under side pics?
lqdchkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Here’s some pics of the other side that I’m working on now. I’m glad you asked. I haven’t been documenting enough.
Attached Thumbnails
8FD1CD52-22CA-41B4-8A3F-9C5CBED3F5D6.jpg   31EBFA56-45F4-4AFD-BC75-5AA1BEF581AD.jpg  
Old 09-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

That is correct.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:05 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Here’s some pics of the other side that I’m working on now. I’m glad you asked. I haven’t been documenting enough.
That support system looks like the way to go.

What is the diameter of the all-thread and its tensile strength?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:46 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
That support system looks like the way to go.

What is the diameter of the all-thread and its tensile strength?
1/2” all thread. I see a 1100 pound rating for it.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
80 gallon fuel tank mount, 4 years ago, no bending

Old 09-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:

I am being dense... I am not understanding how you are attaching to the bus.

Do you have any pictures that may show the attachment?

Thank you!!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I am being dense... I am not understanding how you are attaching to the bus.

Do you have any pictures that may show the attachment?

Thank you!!
I think this one shows it well. 1/2” holes drilled into the C channel cross members, washer and nut on each side.
Attached Thumbnails
2AA10F1D-A6A6-45D6-95C5-53BE32FCB265.jpg  
Old 12-29-2019, 06:22 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Update:

So after removing the wooden floor covering and exposing the actual metal I was surprised to find how the floor is actually constructed. I was expecting 16- or 18-gauge sheet metal over some sort of cross frame (the "T"s I was referring to). What I found is that the floor is actually a series of 6" X 2" lipped C-Channel positioned side-to-side across the frame. Under the bus, where two of these C-Channels are touching sides, a "T" is formed. That changes things a lot for me since this is a very strong construction. Much stronger than sheet metal over a sparse cross-frame.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:13 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCompSci View Post
Update:

So after removing the wooden floor covering and exposing the actual metal I was surprised to find how the floor is actually constructed. I was expecting 16- or 18-gauge sheet metal over some sort of cross frame (the "T"s I was referring to). What I found is that the floor is actually a series of 6" X 2" lipped C-Channel positioned side-to-side across the frame. Under the bus, where two of these C-Channels are touching sides, a "T" is formed. That changes things a lot for me since this is a very strong construction. Much stronger than sheet metal over a sparse cross-frame.
That doesn't sound like the floor in any bus I've worked on. What bus do you have? Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile with your location and bus info. The floor in my bus is 2' wide flat "C"panels that are welded together
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191229_201124364.jpg  

Tags
floor weight