Old 02-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I don't think so. He knows I have it but he charged me for the last work he did for me. Nothing they use would match my bus. Maybe water tanks.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:22 PM   #12
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
mmmm i love banjos too.
Dueling banjos or the whole "you're about to die in a swamp and become gator food" banjos?

@Dick, you're far from alone. As you said, there is a certain pleasure in building something yourself from scrap and/or free parts, even if it doesn't look like one of those fancy factory built RVs, but that is what makes a skoolie all the better. To me, a skoolie is an ever changing piece of art that just happens to be a home on wheels.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Both!
I grew up in the swamps.
Growing up rural has its advantages!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:17 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
We were filling up in Watson Lake BC and this enormous black and chrome thing pulls up to the pump next to us(swoosh). After a bit the electric steps come down (whiirr) and this older gentleman in coveralls gets out and looks at us with consternation. He pulls a rag from his pocket and starts walking around his machine wiping dust off the chrome all the while giving us and our bus strange looks. Now we had just spent a week in northern Alberta and the NWT (lots of gravel roads) and the bus was more than a little dirty. The man just kept looking at our bus and dusting his spaceship the whole time we were there. Finally as we were getting ready to leave he comes over and asks "Where did you get all that MUD?" Poor guy was worried, might scratch the paint.
I would much rather be free to go where I want in my hillbilly bus than have to worry about hurting the resale value of something that cost more than my farm.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:41 AM   #15
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan N View Post
I would much rather be free to go where I want in my hillbilly bus than have to worry about hurting the resale value of something that cost more than my farm.
^This. Also, do you have any pics of NWT? I've only been to BC and have only seen pics of NWT in National Geographic.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
Twenty years ago I made the trip to Anchorage three times in a semi, at that time there was still 200 miles of gravel road. (It wasn't always the same 200 miles) I only wish I had taken pictures. I was hauling new van campers. I was the first to haul them up they used to drive them. They said I was the first to deliver one with out a cracked windshield. My truck however had 13 cracks in the windshield. Before I washed them you couldn't tell what color the vans were.
I hope to make the trip someday in the bus, taking a bit more time. From Nappanee IN to Anchorage is 8888 miles and I did it in 14 days. That's over 600 miles a day, some days it took 8 hours some took 14 or so. Best trips I ever made.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I have never cared what others think. Not in school, not now.

If I'm free to come and go, spend time with my few loved ones, Live debt free, ect, that's all that really matters. No debt = more time with the few I love.

I let my first wife convinced me to run up $200,000 in debt over the 10 years I was with her. I never wanted to, but she always had her own ideas. I was nothing but a slave. I worked 80 hours a week, 51 weeks of the year just to make the payments.

Paying that mess off is why my current bus is not done. I'm down to my last few $5000 payments and I'm debt free. I will never go into debt again.

Moving into my tool shed and living with almost nothing has helped speed up the process. $100 a month for rent vs $1600.

All in all who cares what others think. As long as you and your loved ones are happy.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
I look at the pictures of those fancy RVs (I think the "graphics" are ugly). I could not be comfortable in one. Too shiny, too "hard", too many mirrors, to many lights. Look like living in a nightclub. We had visited the kids for their birthday a few weeks before David died. After we had been back a couple of days, we were sitting watching TV and David looks over at me and says "I want to thank you". I asked for what and he said "For making this a home that is so comfortable to be in". And that is what self-converting is to me. I am not making a recreational vehicle. This bus is my home. I want to be comfortable and able to relax in it. It's not to impress anyone. I do have some nice things. But they would have been (and in some cases were) in my sticks-&-bricks home. It's mine. It may not be much by other peoples standards but it is free and clear and all mine. I owe nothing on it. Yes, it will end up costing a little more than I had hoped for. But I could not have bought a comparable manufactured RV for what I have in it. I'm home.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
NWT pics (I think)

alaska in a school bus; canada 074.jpg

alaska in a school bus; canada 075.jpg

alaska in a school bus; canada 088.jpg