Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 01:08 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Generators

I am sure there are a dozen plus post about generators in the forum. but they are all on the high end i got money to burn spectrum. I want to run the following on my bus and need to know the generator size that i will need.

For the sake of my kitties i will need an AC unit (I personally like heat lol)
will i really need a 15k btu dome unit? 1,023 ft to cool and heat (by volume), 157.5 sq feet to live in lol

it says it needs 1900 watts to run, so does that mean i need a 6k genny to run this unit safely?
http://www.coastdistribution.com/PDF...uct%20Page.pdf

In addition to the AC unit, i want to be able to run a computer(800 watts surge)/ monitor(60 watts), a tv & ps4 combo (150 watts and about 5 watts on standby) and some led lights.

I plan to cook on an LP stove top for the majority of my food making.
So with all that in mind what generator would you suggest? What could i get away with if i only ran the AC and lights? or anything else i might need to know.

Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:29 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
I'd go with a little used yanmar 3kw. Your led's are 12v. You would have that tied into your battery bus bar I'm sure. Generator of course is 110v ac. Do you plan on running everything at once all the time?

I'd also talk to cadillackid. He has some way more efficient hvac system recommendations than those roof top units. They draw less amperage too!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:55 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
I'd go with a little used yanmar 3kw. Your led's are 12v. You would have that tied into your battery bus bar I'm sure. Generator of course is 110v ac. Do you plan on running everything at once all the time?

I'd also talk to cadillackid. He has some way more efficient hvac system recommendations than those roof top units. They draw less amperage too!

i was planning to actually wire those into 120 but mayhaps not so much lol. if that is the case i already have the wiring for like 6 lights in the harness for the previous lights i pulled.

Yeah, i am not keen on the whole rooftop unit, i have a window unit from wally world but its only 6k btu and that just wont due sadly.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuleslight View Post
i was planning to actually wire those into 120 but mayhaps not so much lol.
Why use the excess power to use a converter from 12vDC to 110vAC? You could literally run a 36 led light board off of a 50Ah 12v battery for 2 or 3 months straight without recharge. Your system would be way more efficient this way. Lots of people use led lights for that exact reason alone. Plus you don't have to run specialized wires and boxes for them like you do 110v, so now you've saved time and money!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote