Last fall someone donated this lovely generator to the bus project.
I didn't do a real good job at intigrating the new beast into my skoolie. I mounted it, and ran the electrical, but never permanently mounted the fuel tank or added an access door to allow me to get to the generator for maintance ect.
I only used it twice last fall....and it's just an object that's been attached to the bus ever since. Two weeks ago i tried to start it, and nothing happened. UGGGGGG First she needed to be removed from the bus. Then I did a lot of work, including rebuild the carb and now she seems to run fine.
I'ts an ugly 1970's single cylinder kohler 1,800 rpm 120 volt 4kw generator with really low hours. It's really quiet, since "full speed" is just a bit faster than idle.
Most generators spin at twice that speed, which = twice as many exhaust strokes and lots more noise. There is also a handy built in squirell fan that moves tons of air across the cooling fins, allowing the geni to be mounted inside a cabinet without fear of overheating. Being in an insulated enclosed structure makes for even more sound deadening.
I just did a test today to see how long she'd run on a gallon of gasoline. I plugged in the block heater for the bus (1,500 watts) and a 500 watt halogen worklight which forced the geni to put out half of it's rated power or 2,000 watts. She ran for 1 hour and 57 minutes. Half a gallon per hour is perfectly acceptable for a free generator!