Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #1

Getting a bus

Are there places willing to help getting a bus or people wanting work in exchange I am 6 months away from being a certified building technician and I'm looking to convert a bus for a permanent home I have most of the materials do to my job and everything I need for essentials I just can't afford the bus right now as my rent is to expensive no wiggle room to save no credit for a loan I've tried so if anybody has info on getting a bus free or in exchange for my expertise please let me know

srw4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw4454 View Post
Are there places willing to help getting a bus or people wanting work in exchange I am 6 months away from being a certified building technician and I'm looking to convert a bus for a permanent home I have most of the materials do to my job and everything I need for essentials I just can't afford the bus right now as my rent is to expensive no wiggle room to save no credit for a loan I've tried so if anybody has info on getting a bus free or in exchange for my expertise please let me know
The only close to free buses i have found would need more money put in them to get running. Gonna be tough without a budget. Good luck. You might try and find others in your area that want to build a Skoolie that might be able to pay you for your skills.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Prevost
Chassis: H3-45
Engine: Detroit DDEC III
Rated Cap: A LOT
I don't know if there are places willing to let you work in exchange for a bus or whatever. But I read your post and sort of can identify and so, wanted to chime in with a little encouragement maybe.

I've been also looking for a bus to convert. I've looked EVERYWHERE! ...ebay, Craiglist, asked around and even run ads in the local Trader's Post and Penny Trader. Here's the important thing. I have viewed literally dozens of YouTube videos of folks doing their own conversions. They all have similar stories and invariably they end up getting a good bus candidate for a really low price! But in every case, it took them a considerable amount of searching and it took time. They were patient.

I also have been patient. I've had my heart set on a Blue Bird All American RE (rear engine) with some basement storage. I used to be a school bus driver and this is what I drove. I knew that it was a really good bus adn I knew I would love it. But I've also tried to keep an open mind. Out of the clear blue, I found the bus I just bought this week and it blows the BlueBird away.

I bought a 1998 Prevost H3-45 with 164,000 miles on it for $6000. I realized that, if I had gotten impatient and made too early of a jump, I would never have found this bus. So please take heart and hunker down for a long search. There are deals out there and good buses all over. You just need to connect the dots so to speak.

My Prevost's name is "Miss Gloria."
WoodenYouKnowIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

What's a 'certified building technician'?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #5

Thanks wood much appreciated and a building technician is just a fancy way of saying property maintenance pretty much jack of all trades so I do hvacc plumbing electric drywall carpentry landscaping anything that's in need of repair maintained on grounds so a bus project is literally perfect for me and the certified part means state certificate special training or schooled
srw4454 is offline   Reply With Quote