Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Getting Snow & Ice Off the Roof

As I mentioned elsewhere, I have decided to ask all the dumb questions I have ever wanted to ask but didn't for fear of looking like an idiot. This way, new people will have all the answers with a search instead of having to advertise that they don't know things. Turns out I don't really mind looking like an idiot! So here is another one:

My roof is 9'6" high. Yes, I have a ladder, and yes, I have a broom. I have a scraper, but it's pretty short. I'm 5 feet tall. I cannot seem to get this icy snow off my roof! it is basically relatively soft snow covered with a hard crust of ice. My fear is that if I drive with this up here it's going to crash off the roof onto someone's windshield and cause an accident.

I have this telescoping scraper thingamajig on order with Amazon but delivery is a few days out, and I need to drive today.

firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9, Spicer-5
Rated Cap: 44 Big butts/66 Lil ones
If there happens to be one in your neighborhood, the safest thing for you, may be a truck wash. The better ones have a cat walk down both sides of the bay so you can get up high and spray that roof.
one_eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
If there happens to be one in your neighborhood, the safest thing for you, may be a truck wash. The better ones have a cat walk down both sides of the bay so you can get up high and spray that roof.
Ah, great idea but closest is 15 or so miles. I'll head over there and hope for the best on the way unless I find another idea.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
In your driveway, throw a rope down the center of the bus and tie one end to a bumper. Walk the other end to the sides of the bus and if you can move forward too. That cuts under the snow, minimal damage and most snow will slide off. A few hard brakes will send the rest sliding but on your hood and windshield. It shows you at least made an attempt. Up here it is a fine for not removing snow on vehicles.

John
Old 01-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
In your driveway, throw a rope down the center of the bus and tie one end to a bumper. Walk the other end to the sides of the bus and if you can move forward too. That cuts under the snow, minimal damage and most snow will slide off. A few hard brakes will send the rest sliding but on your hood and windshield. It shows you at least made an attempt. Up here it is a fine for not removing snow on vehicles.

John
Great idea!!!!! Now to find a rope....

There's probably a fine here, too, there's a fine for everything.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:

Can you either: (1) explain what to expect at the truck wash, or (2) post a youtube link?

For example:

Before I ever pulled my bus into a truck stop for fuel the first time, I checked out a youtube video that showed someone doing that in his class A. I'm soooo glad I did. I didn't realize that there were pumps on both sides, and you had to trigger the left before the right would work (my fuel port is only on the right, had to lay the left side nozzle on the ground while I fueled). Had I not watched that video, I would have been forever scratching my head why things weren't working....

Thank you!
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
Great idea!!!!! Now to find a rope....

There's probably a fine here, too, there's a fine for everything.

You'll get the hang of it quick, but stay out of the way too. Can be heavy and icy.
An old clothesline works as well, the one covered in plastic.

Pack it an a bag and carry it in winter.

John
Old 01-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Can you either: (1) explain what to expect at the truck wash, or (2) post a youtube link?

For example:

Before I ever pulled my bus into a truck stop for fuel the first time, I checked out a youtube video that showed someone doing that in his class A. I'm soooo glad I did. I didn't realize that there were pumps on both sides, and you had to trigger the left before the right would work (my fuel port is only on the right, had to lay the left side nozzle on the ground while I fueled). Had I not watched that video, I would have been forever scratching my head why things weren't working....

Thank you!
So the next time pull in from the other direction.

Don't feel bad, I ran into the same issue on one of my first fuels stops.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:20 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
So the next time pull in from the other direction.

ohhhhhh, then it be sure that I'd get a real talking to by the truckers.... From the looks of 'em I don't think I would want that kind of dressing-down - especially in front of my kids....

Quote:
Don't feel bad, I ran into the same issue on one of my first fuels stops.

We're all noobs at some point. I just want to climb out before it kills me (or my wife does)....
Old 01-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
ohhhhhh, then it be sure that I'd get a real talking to by the truckers.... From the looks of 'em I don't think I would want that kind of dressing-down - especially in front of my kids....

We're all noobs at some point. I just want to climb out before it kills me (or my wife does)....
There were many gas stations I stopped at that were not truck stops, but still had the both side filling option. It didn't matter at those places which direction you pulled in from.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
There were many gas stations I stopped at that were not truck stops, but still had the both side filling option. It didn't matter at those places which direction you pulled in from.

Ah, I was thinking of the Flying J truck stop by me, not a car-style pump island....
Old 01-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #12
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9, Spicer-5
Rated Cap: 44 Big butts/66 Lil ones
Quote:

John
Great tip John. Never would have thunk of that one!
one_eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:16 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Just drive it down Storrow Drive, it will take off the snow for sure.....
Old 01-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Great tip John. Never would have thunk of that one!

Thanks one_eyed_jack.

I, even get my grandkids to do it, one down each side with the rope, pulling, falling havinn a great old time while I sit in by the stove. Works for me and them...

John
Old 01-23-2019, 11:19 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
Just drive it down Storrow Drive, it will take off the snow for sure.....
LOL.

Well I did the rope method along with a broom, and did pretty well, too - then I headed out and saw that EVERYONE had 3 inches on snow on their roof. Big trucks, little cars - no one else had bothered. Oh well. At least my side of the street - er, roof - is clean.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:20 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E
Quote:
You'll get the hang of it quick, but stay out of the way too. Can be heavy and icy.
An old clothesline works as well, the one covered in plastic.

Pack it an a bag and carry it in winter.

John

You can take this method one step further, if you employ the clothesline and a couple crimps for each end. Then you simply add 2 carabineers into the mix and viola. now you can quickly clip it on one end, and the other end now has a handle. Plus if the off season you have a fairly simple clothesline that can be setup anywhere, or a siltarp/awning guywire.

As they say in the Air Force, flexibility is the key to air power.

if you want a more stationary tool, look into a "roof rake" they typically come on a telescopic pole, or a sectional pole
https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ords=roof+rake

up here we typically use the $40 one but our snow is light n fluffy. where icing and wet snow are concerned not sure how they would hold up. but they do work better than a broom.

it's one of those catch 22 things, the snow provides insulation while parked, however the more snow on top of the layer touching the bus the more it is also insulated from the outside air temp (OAT) at that point then the heat loss through the roof affects the snow touching the bus even more. then you get a layer of ice....with a layer of wet crusty ice atop that.
So depending once again on how long you'll be parked and what the temps are, and how much heat loss your roof has it may be more beneficial to leave it as oppose to clearing it progressively throughout the snowfall.
trial and error once again till you balance out your level of effort against the desired outcome.

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:13 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive had the truck stop thing.. I just lay the hose on the ground.. when im in the short bus I can fit in the auto-diesel spots most times..

the worst is when I was in a 35 foot gasoline bus.. most truck stops dont have gasoline at their big-boy pumps .. couple places had RV pumps.. but otherwise it was tricky at times..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

If you have things like solar panels, antennae, etc. up there, that could be dangerous.
Roberta's Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta's Man View Post
If you have things like solar panels, antennae, etc. up there, that could be dangerous.
I will eventually have solar up there, but not yet. I'm thinking when I DO have solar, if I'm going to stick around in the snowy states, I will have to find a long retractable ladder so I can get up there and A) Cover them up when I know snow is coming; or B) Brush 'em off after those surprise storms.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #20
Bus Nut

There is a spray silicone stuff that sheds snow off of snowplows- I used to put it on my car (70’s) snow would just slide off with a tap of the brakes- Defiantly do it backing up so you don’t dump a big pile of snow that you now have to drive over.
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote