Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #1

Getting Started

Hi all,
Hoping to get some serious feedback on this, my friends and I want to start putting together a skoolie fund and getting odds and ends together for our bus. We're working with limited funds so we aren't actually buying the bus yet but can anyone (and everyone) give us some info on what we should be getting. We have a shed and some storage space so we can hold alomost anything.
Also, what is a reasonable price for a decent bus, I've seen prices range from a couple hundred to well over 6 grand... and is anyone in NC or NY doing or having done this already, it'd be great to be able to ask more questions.. Thanks

So I thought I said this the first time but I guess not. We wanna fulltime it, for about a year or two... And all together theres 3 of us. So a bus seemed more space efficient. A motorhome may work though... It would need more than one bed.. At least 2.

* And lornaschinske If your actually posting anything, your posts aren't showing.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Getting Started

--
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

The first question i would ask is, do you want a bus for a specific reason, or just a older motorhome? my reasoning here is that if you just want something fast and inexpensive, an older motorhome would be much easier to obtain cheaply and you wouldnt have to do a conversion.
second, under normal circumstances, you should buy the very best and newest year bus that you can afford. You also need to consider what you actually plan to use it for, which will also determine what length you would need.
There are a lot of good ideas on this site, on the bus conversions magazine site, and others on the internet. As mentioned in the previous post, getting parts out of motorhomes, trailers, etc is a great idea, the newer ones have much better appliances, etc than like the 20 yr or older ones have.
Given what your intended use for your conversion is, you will need to figure how large of tanks you need, number of a/c units and so forth. Things like fasteners, plumbing and electrical supplies,etc can frequently be purchased at discount/salvage places, car swap meets, or even like the habitat for humanity stores.
just a few thoughts...
Old 12-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

--
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Kae, is that the telephone booth that Dr. Who used?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

When looking for your bus, think long and hard about what type of roads you will be traveling. Will they all be highway? Will you ever hit an interstate speed? Will you ever travel dirt roads? Keep these things in mind and be flexible - willing to compromise - on your final "dream machine".

A 40 foot bus sounds awesome with loads of room for living, but you do NOT want to drive one through a small town with narrow streets if you are unfamiliar with a vehicle that long ! And trying to make a sharp turn with a tree, boulder (or another vehicle or lamp post, for that matter) in the way will be a major bummer.

If you hope to stay in campgrounds, consider the size limit some impose because they simply aren't built to accommodate a long vehicle.

Once you're sure what you feel comfortable driving, keep you eyes open on both Craigslist, ebay, and your local trade newspaper. I found my first bus on Craigslist. While I had to sell it, I'm looking for the next one now. In the mean time, plan, dream, sketch, and change your mind a dozen times. Look at the photo gallery here for inspiration. Don't be afraid to think outside the box. Not sure if something will work for you? Build a mock up out of cardboard or scrap wood to get a 'feel' for things. Once you're fairly sure what you would like to do, you can start to gather components now, thus spreading the cost over time while looking for the bus.

Most important of all, remember you'll spend more than you expect. More money, and more time. Life happens. Just don't let it completely stop you.

GOOD LUCK
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

some 40' busses have tighter turning circles than others. for example my brother's amtrans can turn much sharper corner than my thomas even though they are both re
Old 01-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
Kae, is that the telephone booth that Dr. Who used?
Yep its the TARDIS