Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Have you considered putting in a skylight? I'm wondering how you're going to get your household frige in there since you're using what you have. You absolutely will make sacrifices during a bus build.

Even I've read from the beginning. You seem to forget that this is a place of discussion rather than a database for information. You'll have to read 50 opinions about what you don't want to find the info for what you do want. The point of the discussions is not to provoke anger in you, but to provoke thought on your part about alternative choices. At worst it's humor rather than mean spiritedness. Think of your plans as a seive. Most plans need adjustment, and we're all trying to be economical.

Good luck.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Have you considered putting in a skylight? I'm wondering how you're going to get your household frige in there since you're using what you have. You absolutely will make sacrifices during a bus build.

Even I've read from the beginning. You seem to forget that this is a place of discussion rather than a database for information. You'll have to read 50 opinions about what you don't want to find the info for what you do want. The point of the discussions is not to provoke anger in you, but to provoke thought on your part about alternative choices. At worst it's humor rather than mean spiritedness. Think of your plans as a seive. Most plans need adjustment, and we're all trying to be economical.

Good luck.
.. and you didn't suggest a hammock

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:58 PM   #23
Bus Geek

I found I can rest in a hammock but I can't sleep in one of them. No recommendation for hammocks from me unless it's between two trees.

Other than contacting David Copperfield for mystical help that box spring isnt going through those doors, Sorry. Also consider how you might tie down a boxspring and mattress. In the unlikely event of a rollover everything loose inside the bus is additated like a washing machine. I'm very cautious about wood stoves or refrigerators hitting me in the back of the head, but then I spend lots of time on rough roads.

Sacrifices have to be made to live in a bus, otherwise I'd have a hot tob in mine.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:

Sacrifices have to be made to live in a bus, otherwise I'd have a hot tob in mine.
No sacrifices at all need to be made for a good bed in a bus.

Europeans ditched box springs 40 years ago, and they sleep pretty well at night. Mattress construction is very slightly different for a platform, or hard-base bed, but not so different that a good mattress of any kind won't work well.

It sucks that the OP has an expensive item that won't fit, but there are excellent alternatives.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Agreed, I don't use a box spring and I'm quite comfortable. The sarifice isn't comfort, it's letting go of items that either won't fit through the door or that are simply not practical to use in a bus coversion. It's a different lifestyle than living in a house. Comfort levels are quite similar though, even without a boxspring. I'd give up the boxspring simply to allow more storage space. If you've lived in a bus for a period of time you'll understand the storage issue. If you've kept your windows and you're using a boxspring it's highly likely some summer morning you'll wake up realizing other people can see your chuds through the window while you're sleeping.

Some people are ok with that. Personally I've got nothing to hide but I try to avoid inducing nausea to passers by.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:30 AM   #26

Thanks for all the information. I'm going to tear the box springs down and repurpose the lumber into the bus.
Later, I'll probably order a mattress from Casper or similar company and get rid of the innerspring I have.

There were a lot of snarky comments and I'd like to quickly address them...

I don't currently have a fridge and will use an apartment size one that will fit through the back door.

A blow up mattress and a futon defeats the purpose.

The 94 Chevy I'm looking at is within my budget. I'd love a diesel but funds are limited.

I don't want to raise the roof. The standard interior height is fine by me.
Mallsup2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #27
Bus Geek

I apologize since you seem to have taken my comments as snarky. We do enjoy a sense of humor on this site but the intent is not meant to make anyone feel bad.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Class...no more snarky comments or havinn fun!

John
Old 12-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I built my bed into the bus and made my own mattress and now I have a California king plus that I can't buy anything to fit and it's just as if not more comfy than my bed in the house
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #30
Bus Geek

The sofa on the right I the picture is actually split in the foot rest and base so it can be used as raised footrest/recliner idea on either half of the sofa and still leave some room to walk through while traveling or lounging and then they slide all the way out to the seats across the isle from them. The sofa seat and back cushion then has room to lay down flat next to what is/was the footrest to create a full bed.
And when momma is mad at me she can/has slept opposite wise with the armrest of the love seat on the left in between us.
Multi purpose use is what I was going for? And it works great.
Good luck. Have fun.
Be safe.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallsup2112 View Post
I don't currently have a fridge and will use an apartment size one that will fit through the back door.
I've got as 15 cu ft fridge in my beastie. I just had to measure the width to make sure it would fit through my back door.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
I've got as 15 cu ft fridge in my beastie. I just had to measure the width to make sure it would fit through my back door.
A full size fridge would be nice but it's not a necessity. A apartment size affords me room to build a pedestal drawer underneath. I don't want upper cabinets but I have a design in mind for the dishes to be stored directly over the sink so they'll drain into the sink in their designated storage spot. I'm pretty handy with wood and power tools and I'll do most of the build out. Technically, i'll only need help with the electrics and solar.

I also want to build in a bigger bathroom with a "hallway" on one side. Maybe a 4X5 room with an rv tub/shower, a tall rv throne, and a small sink. I've seen a lot of splits with the shower on one side and the throne room on the other. Has anyone built a single head/shower combo with a hallway on one side?
Old 12-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallsup2112 View Post
Thanks for all the information. I'm going to tear the box springs down and repurpose the lumber into the bus.
Later, I'll probably order a mattress from Casper or similar company and get rid of the innerspring I have.

There were a lot of snarky comments and I'd like to quickly address them...

A blow up mattress and a futon defeats the purpose.

The 94 Chevy I'm looking at is within my budget. I'd love a diesel but funds are limited.

I don't want to raise the roof. The standard interior height is fine by me.
There are a lot of bed boards in my build.
Most are repoursed as cabinet trim.
My main framing is from some bunk beds I built for when my kids were young and I mainly used those for there beds on the bus and even placed some of there scribbles where they could see them.
Could go on all night?
Built a family camper and did good. But now the kids are grown and ready to go?
So time to repourse the area?
Old 12-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #34

Quote:
I found I can rest in a hammock but I can't sleep in one of them. No recommendation for hammocks from me unless it's between two trees.
LOL, no hammocks....I'm a fat boy
Old 12-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
There are a lot of bed boards in my build.
Most are repoursed as cabinet trim.
My main framing is from some bunk beds I built for when my kids were young and I mainly used those for there beds on the bus and even placed some of there scribbles where they could see them.
Could go on all night?
Built a family camper and did good. But now the kids are grown and ready to go?
So time to repourse the area?
It's just going to be me and my girlfriend/fiance', the savannah cat and the dogs. The animals sleep where they land...not an issue there. So, the rest of the build out is for our purposes. I cut a 42" round drop leaf table in half to create a prep table for my mom's kitchen and I have the other half of the top in the basement. I figured i'd mount it on the wall as a drop top table with a gate leg. Since it's already a drop leaf, I can make the gate leg shallow to allow the leaf to be in a down position as a laptop station when we're not prepping food or eating.