Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2005, 10:38 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Glass Block

I'm preparing to install some glass block in my bus. I know it's not the lightest material, but weight is not that big of a concern to me.

There is far more flexing involved in this application than there is in a house. I'm concerned that regular glass mortar will crack. Pre-assembled glass windows seem to be put together with a much more rubbery material. Anyone know what that is? It doesn't seem that calk would be strong enough to hold the wall together. Perhaps some sort of epoxy?

Anybody have any info on alternatives to plain ol' glass block mortar?

Thanks.

the glass block wall after being illuminated should look pretty shwanky!

Old 01-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Maybe a clear silicon would look great, it bonds to glass very well.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:04 AM   #3
Bus Nut

You might also look at the plastic glass blocks. They are polycarbonate and very durable. I don't know what the price is like but they would be much lighter and never shatter if they get hit. When I lived in Denver I was building a fish tank and bought the lexan panels from Regal plastics. They had a bunch of them in the showroom. You could probably get a price quote from them. HTH Mike

http://www.regalplastics.com/
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:26 PM   #4
Bus Geek

i looked at the plastic blocks. They're more than double the price. Sounds like silicone is the way to go, a few people have suggested that now.

I'm also considering etching a design into the glass......just not sure what that design should be.

The glass wall should look awsome with some colored lighting behind it.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Glass Block Inserts

I put a small glass block "window" together for some folks here in Colorado. They picked up these plastic inserts which were designed to slide in between the blocks and nicely hold them in place. We cut them to length depending on how many blocks per row.

Your dealer may know of these - you might also be able to add caulk with these - check with your dealer
firedancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Skoolie

Acrylic glass block available

I've seen acrylic "glass" block at masonry supply places here in Boston, check your local phone book.
Acrylic is MUCH lighter than glass. You can drill it and put in lighting, kinda funky.

I've also been sticker-shocked by replacement glass block units intended for replacing basement windows....basically, some guy assembles glass-block units with the plastic spacers and silicone RTV.
OUTRAGEOUS prices, so I made my own. Used a nice flat piece of ply to assemble the units, waited for everything to cure THOROUGHLY before moving/installing!

Assemble yours outside the bus if need be, then bring in as a unit and install. You can use GALVANISED angle brackets, installed while building the block unit. You need galvy, as the acetic acid from the RTV would otherwise start corroding plain steel brackets immediately.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:03 PM   #7
Bus Geek

the block wall is in the bus and it looks great!

i used some "solar seal" super adheasive calk instead of mortar. It's been in the bus for a couple months now and seems to be just fine.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:32 PM   #8
Skoolie

Going through some papers, I found an installation booklet from Pittsburgh Corning on glass block, specifically their "Kwik'n EZ rigid track silicone system for Thinline (TM) series glass block".
I think it's publication GB-226 100M (1/03).

http://www.pittsburghcorning.com
1-800-624-2120

Basically, it outlines the requirements and cautions of building glass block walls.

I've made up replacement basement windows from glass and acrylic block, using silicone RTV. I've done a divider wall from glass block with conventional glass block mortar (what a pain in the ass).

Check your Yellow Pages on glass block or masonry suppliers, I'm sure there will be more out there on this stuff.

BTW, the price for most glass block replacement windows here in Boston? Outrageous! Near $200! Made my own, and passed the price down to my customer (made them very happy).