Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #241
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Life's good when you've been hoarding all the RIGHT supplies for a couple years!!
Subtle change but an important one otherwise I'd be all aces.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #242
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
She hates my hoarding, but its in my blood.

Next mods I'm thinking of are a pair of rain/wind deflector things for the front windows. Chrome if I can find em, but I'd settle for the standard WeatherTech set.

Also, we're planning on putting some bedliner down in the cargo area, and maybe some rubber floor covering to replace the carpet back there.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #243
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
I have an ancient SS set on my '95 Cherokee and went looking for some for my 4Runner. Only found plastic, then read there were lots of issues with the plastic wrecking power windows. Apparently the thickness of the plastic that is shoved into the frame screws up the window mechanism. Might check it out before investing. Never did find "steelies" for the Toyota.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #244
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I have an ancient SS set on my '95 Cherokee and went looking for some for my 4Runner. Only found plastic, then read there were lots of issues with the plastic wrecking power windows. Apparently the thickness of the plastic that is shoved into the frame screws up the window mechanism. Might check it out before investing. Never did find "steelies" for the Toyota.
I don't have power anything lol. But I'll make sure they attach in some way that doesn't interfere with anything.
I've had good luck with WeatherTech products, although they're pricey.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #245
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my roomate has weather-tech mats in his car and loves them.. my new pickup truck came with heavy duty weather-tech slush-liners.. (long story.. turned in my chevy lease a year early.. they handed me a brand spankin new one... Horns and a Hemi for $80 LESS per month (and $10 less insurance).. couldnt pass it up)..

what do those deflectors on the windows do?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:34 PM   #246
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my roomate has weather-tech mats in his car and loves them.. my new pickup truck came with heavy duty weather-tech slush-liners.. (long story.. turned in my chevy lease a year early.. they handed me a brand spankin new one... Horns and a Hemi for $80 LESS per month (and $10 less insurance).. couldnt pass it up)..

what do those deflectors on the windows do?
-Christopher
They allow you to keep the windows cracked while driving in the rain.
They also make smoking while driving a little easier. Especially in the rain.
Plus I just think they'd look great on Grapey McCreepervan.
Windows will be tinted when I can afford it, too.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #247
Bus Geek

McCreeperVan!!! yes!!! Love the name!!
-Christopher
Old 09-18-2017, 04:59 AM   #248
Bus Geek

CreeperVan has been performing wonderfully. Hauls my tools and supplies perfectly.
The new power steering pump and belt sure made parking lot cruising a lot easier and quieter. The roof vent has been amazing- best van mod ever!
About a week ago I started getting a strange, annoying rattle from underneath the front passenger side of the van. Sounded like the cat was on its way out for sure, which would be odd as its brand new-ish. It would only make the noise at idle and lower rpm's and was intermittent. I figured I'd end up going to an exhaust shop or something.
But after looking at it several times, and getting roxy to give it little stabs of throttle to make the noise, I was able to track down the source. It was the heat shield on the cat. Its on top of it, I guess to keep the heat away from the floor. There are 4 tabs on the heat shield that they tack weld to the cat at the factory. They only welded 3 of them on this cat!! I got out my mig and fixed that.

I gotta say- it felt awesome being able to do that.
LOVING this van.
Selling our house and our subaru this year. Doubling down on VAN, BUS, and LAND!
Old 09-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #249
Bus Geek

Quote:
Selling our house and our subaru this year. Doubling down on VAN, BUS, and LAND!
I need to do the same.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #250
Bus Geek

I ordered some more parts for the van this morning.
Its getting new Idle Air Control Valve, breather AND pcv, Engine mounts and tranny mount, and the drivers side valve cover gasket has a very slight seep so I ordered a new set.

I'll be putting that stuff on next week.

After that its ball joints, tie rod ends, swaybar end links, wheel bearings and brakes.

If you stay ahead on this kinda stuff its not so bad.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #251
Bus Geek

Quote:
I ordered some more parts for the van this morning.
Its getting new Idle Air Control Valve, breather AND pcv, Engine mounts and tranny mount, and the drivers side valve cover gasket has a very slight seep so I ordered a new set.

I'll be putting that stuff on next week.

After that its ball joints, tie rod ends, swaybar end links, wheel bearings and brakes.

If you stay ahead on this kinda stuff its not so bad.
You're going to make the buses jealous. Bad joo joo there. Equal time or one of them is going to bite you!! Do NOT trifle with the automotive gods.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #252
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Funny story-

On Monday, was bidding on some of those 2010 buses in Iowa and had a bunch of tabs open for auctions I was looking at. You know how a group will have 3 auctions end at the same exact time (stupid), so was jumping back and forth...You know the rest.

I ended-up hitting wrong tab & bidding on a pickup truck I didn't need...thought, oh it's low, somebody will take-me out of this trade. Nope. won a stupid Ram quad cab 4x4 for $1200.

Got it out front with For Sale sign on it now. Luckily, County left title open.

So, watch what you are bidding on!!!
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #253
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
So what is wrong with a ram quad c ab 4 by 4?
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #254
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
You're going to make the buses jealous. Bad joo joo there. Equal time or one of them is going to bite you!! Do NOT trifle with the automotive gods.
Well- the van is a work vehicle. I use it EVERY day. The buses are pleasure machines.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #255
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Funny story-

On Monday, was bidding on some of those 2010 buses in Iowa and had a bunch of tabs open for auctions I was looking at. You know how a group will have 3 auctions end at the same exact time (stupid), so was jumping back and forth...You know the rest.

I ended-up hitting wrong tab & bidding on a pickup truck I didn't need...thought, oh it's low, somebody will take-me out of this trade. Nope. won a stupid Ram quad cab 4x4 for $1200.

Got it out front with For Sale sign on it now. Luckily, County left title open.

So, watch what you are bidding on!!!
What year is the truck? GOt pics?
Old 10-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #256
Bus Geek

nothing wrong with a RAM truck.. someone would snag that up here in ohio..truck prices are high..

but this sounds like when I was "practice" bidding on redbyrd in texas.. "oh no one will let an air-conditioned rust-free operable bus with good tires go for $1800..."

-Christopher
Old 10-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #257
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
nothing wrong with a RAM truck.. someone would snag that up here in ohio..truck prices are high..

but this sounds like when I was "practice" bidding on redbyrd in texas.. "oh no one will let an air-conditioned rust-free operable bus with good tires go for $1800..."

-Christopher
I like Ram trucks, just want a diesel quad cab 4x4 for cheap, it's a 4.7 gasser. I don't need another vehicle, was a fat fingered error, as we used to say on the trading floor.

I powerwashed it and stuck it at the end of the driveway for $4K- if it sells, my bus gets new tires!!!!

It needs brakes and those $40 rust repair panels for bed wheel well. I got too many projects....
they said it din't run, yada yada yada, but fired right up w./ new battery.

b4 wash
Click image for larger version

Name:	gov.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	16300
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #258
Bus Geek

Since I replaced the power steering pump and reservoir a month or two ago, I figured it was a nice afternoon to flush all the fluid out and fill it with fresh new stuff. I did that when I changed the pump, but figured this was cheap insurance. Besides, there's no filter so its prudent to keep the fluid pristine.
The engine came filled with 5w20 when I got it. Makes sense up in NE I guess. I changed it when I got the van and went with 5w30 and half a bottle of seafoam. I put a thousand miles on that, and when I finished the PS fluid change today I went ahead and changed the oil and filter again. This time I went with 10w30. Seems a little quieter, MAYBE, idk. The manual calls for 5w30 in really cold climates, and 10w30 everywhere else. Since I'm in FL and tow with it regularly the 10w30 is a no brainer. Went with some semi-synthetic that was on sale with a free filter.

I've got a new pcv valve, breather valve, valve cover gaskets, engine mounts, and a transmission mount on the way. I'll probably go ahead and have the rear u-joint replaced and the slip yoke greased up, too. I usually let a shop do driveshaft stuff. They're good at it and set up to do that stuff all day.
In a couple weeks I'll look into replacing the exhaust behind the catalytic converter. The muffler is split and the tail pipe is pretty rusty. A direct replacement cat-back is $160. I may see what a local muffler shop can do. Maybe go from the 2.5" out pipe at the cat to a 3" rear with a cheapo "turbo" muffler. Would sound a lot better than a tired exhaust with a split in the muffler either way!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:37 AM   #259
Bus Geek

Quote:
This time I went with 10w30. Seems a little quieter, MAYBE, idk. The manual calls for 5w30 in really cold climates, and 10w30 everywhere else. Since I'm in FL and tow with it regularly the 10w30 is a no brainer. Went with some semi-synthetic that was on sale with a free filter.
Phffft, because FL, use 20W50. Maybe not this time of year but summer, just straight 50 if you can find it.

I've no idea what size the oil passages are in your engine but if they are large, the above is serious.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:40 AM   #260
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Phffft, because FL, use 20W50. Maybe not this time of year but summer, just straight 50 if you can find it.

I've no idea what size the oil passages are in your engine but if they are large, the above is serious.
I haven't seen a vehicle this new call for 10w30, i was surprised.
It came with 5w20 in it, I was surprised at that.

Waiting for the parts and then I'll do the valve cover gaskets, plugs, cap, and rotor, and put the new brether and pcv on.

I love how basic and simple this van is!