Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #461
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
too funny.. and I had never heard of sawdust.. (or pouring in lucas for that matter.. just seems everyone solution to any engine/trans/driveline.. was pour in lucas or STP..

it was 14 degrees here this AM... the oil was thick enough in everything that there was no noise goin on... or i just couldnt hear it over the Noisy 7.3
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #462
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
You get that witchcraft out of here. I'm with Robin. I've only heard of sawdust and that was from my old man's days.
I don't use Lucas products for anything.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:13 PM   #463
Bus Geek

liucas stop leak does a really good job when mixed with rotella.. thats the only one I ever use.. and iots never given me issues in anything ive put it in.. but most of the stuff is a pain.
-Christopher
Old 12-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #464
Bus Geek

after some reading, I'm convinced that either you're right about him setting the gears a bit off. The other possibility is, apparently, worn gears.
If he's cool and can fix the noise in good faith I'll have him do the engine and tranny mounts. They're a major pita on this thing and he's got everything to do the job. You CAN'T lift these engines by the oil pan. If you do you risk causing a leak and you do NOT want to change an oil pan on one of these.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #465
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
after some reading, I'm convinced that either you're right about him setting the gears a bit off. The other possibility is, apparently, worn gears.
If he's cool and can fix the noise in good faith I'll have him do the engine and tranny mounts. They're a major pita on this thing and he's got everything to do the job. You CAN'T lift these engines by the oil pan. If you do you risk causing a leak and you do NOT want to change an oil pan on one of these.
I dont advocate lifting any engine by the oil pan.. ive always put a hoist on any engine. to move it... even small warpage in the oil pan from the weioght / pressure can easily cause leaks.. and yeah in a van from what im familiar with if you get an oil pan leak you will be hoisting the engine to get the pan down... I dont lnow your motor mounts but from my experience ive had to go 2-3 inches which usually means yanking the fan shroud and sometimes the top radiator hose..
-Christopher
Old 12-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #466
Bus Geek

So I took the van back to the guy who "rebuilt" the rear end.
He's telling me it needs a new ring and pinion. Funny, as I'd specifically told him I wanted a new ring and pinion back when he did the bearings and seals. But he said the gears were in perfect shape so he reused them.
He now wants $1000 to install new gears! lol I told him no thanks.
Mechanics are such crooks.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #467
Bus Geek

Quote:
So I took the van back to the guy who "rebuilt" the rear end.
He's telling me it needs a new ring and pinion. Funny, as I'd specifically told him I wanted a new ring and pinion back when he did the bearings and seals. But he said the gears were in perfect shape so he reused them.
He now wants $1000 to install new gears! lol I told him no thanks.
Mechanics are such crooks.
oh yeah thats total BS!!! sounds to me like the dude didnt know how to set it up right.. sure its possible the ring and pinion is worn and making the noise, but he couldve easily seen that when he had it apart.. if in fact he set it up right and its still super noisy, then there wouild likely be visible wear on the gears that he souldve seen when the ring and pinion were on the bench... and to replace the bearings, those gears were out of the carrier!.

time to write his ass to the BBB if he is any kind of shop..

-Christopher
Old 12-11-2017, 09:20 AM   #468
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
oh yeah thats total BS!!! sounds to me like the dude didnt know how to set it up right.. sure its possible the ring and pinion is worn and making the noise, but he couldve easily seen that when he had it apart.. if in fact he set it up right and its still super noisy, then there wouild likely be visible wear on the gears that he souldve seen when the ring and pinion were on the bench... and to replace the bearings, those gears were out of the carrier!.

time to write his ass to the BBB if he is any kind of shop..

-Christopher
I'll be leaving a very honest review of his shop.
I thought he seemed like a really honest, legit guy. Was I ever wrong!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #469
Bus Nut

Gnome most cars sink in the front. My 73 bonneville rose up on me and I slide head on into a tree that's why I like the mopars with that negative caster. Front end always sinks.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #470
Bus Nut

Air brakes are equipped with front and rear relay valves which requires the rears to apply first and the trailer first so the rig doesn't jackknife. It's done by having a different "crack" rating for the rear and trailer relay valves. That explain it?

Old 12-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #471
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 View Post
Air brakes are equipped with front and rear relay valves which requires the rears to apply first and the trailer first so the rig doesn't jackknife. It's done by having a different "crack" rating for the rear and trailer relay valves. That explain it?

where is that relay valve typically located? is it part of the treadle valve or will it be somewhere underneath? if I just have to change or adjust some valves for a better balance im all for that.. I agree on wanting rear to apply first, but just not to the point where my rears are skidding and my fronts still have lots of untapped power..
-Christopher
Old 12-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #472
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:

Clean, low-mile, no-frills cargo van for work. SCORE!

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...55&acctid=5534

Impeccable maintenance, 43k miles, unmolested dogiban!
I had one like that. I sold it last year because I needed money more than the van. I miss it. I like the Dodge B-series vans (my dad's favorite vehicle) and wouldn't mind another. Great for hauling stuff and keeping it out of the rain.
Skunky Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #473
Bus Nut

I don't think my 92 TC2000 has them but haven't looked yet. Wonder if the tone wheelie and sensors could be retrofitted? Oh btw caddy I looked at what the nice lady at bluebird sent me :Smurf happy dance: : passing out drinks:
Email has full line ticket and the CD has 3 folders with operator manual service and parts catalog and 6 files of wiring diagrams; coach , chassis, frame and body. Woohoo!

Old 12-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #474
Bus Nut

Tango you could just find one in the salvage yard and get it. Are you gonna do vacuum or p/s boost?

Old 12-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #475
Bus Nut

I'm just happy that mine stops. Probably will have to replace the s-cam bushings. It's old enough but at least the cams didn't roll over when I adjusted them

Old 12-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #476
Bus Nut

The abs for air brakes uses a tone wheel on each hub and a pickup. All transmit to the brain box where the thinking happens. Oh and the weigh stations have been testing thermal imaging to detect brake problems on the roads.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #477
Bus Nut

Chris it's done with setting on the relay valves. There's a number on the valve that tells what it's set at and has. Pigtail from center of each hub with a slotted ring at the base of the drum.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #478
Bus Nut

Treadle bvalves either leak or sieze up usually pretty much bulletproof the ones I've replaced were leaking audibly and still would stop the truck

Old 12-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #479
Bus Nut

My Toyota ran better times with the traction control on and would still.hole shot good.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #480
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 View Post
The abs for air brakes uses a tone wheel on each hub and a pickup. All transmit to the brain box where the thinking happens. Oh and the weigh stations have been testing thermal imaging to detect brake problems on the roads.
Replaced the passenger front ABS sensor and it still shows bad. I haven't taken the wheel off to see if I'm missing teeth or something.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote