Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2017, 10:43 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You just nailed it. Just a bunch of overly eager brokers.
SUPPOSEDLY they're getting it today or have already picked it up. The contact at the university said they called her about pickup so that's a positive sign.
Can't wait to get some louvered rear window covers, a porthole, and some side pipes on it.
Too bad they don't make chain steering wheels for modern, airbag equipped stuff!

https://youtu.be/XtSr-GLFz8s

Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:08 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by oricha1984 View Post
congratz dude.
btw, that ford van here in florida sold for 6.5k OTD.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...=5&acctID=7512
Probably because its better than a new van, and a new one is well over 30 grand.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:59 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post

I love that movie.
And those classic Chevy vans.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #44
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Quote:
Probably because its better than a new van, and a new one is well over 30 grand.
Agreed. It was a nice ban indeed.
I went as high as 6k+. Didn't want to get into a bid war though, so I backed off.

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #45
Bus Geek

Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
naw, but honestly for a cheapo, basic work van the 3.9 will do. Its been meticulously maintained, and I've had one before in a dakota.
When did a Dakota come with a 3.9L??? Mine (3rd gen) has a 3.7. First gen had the 4.0L

And don't you already have enough going on?!? I kinda like the flipping idea. I'd like to buy some FL buses. Part out the storage lockers, doors, whatever else and then literally sell it for scrap. But just across town, how do I move a 40 ft bus that doesn't run much less across country. I don't have a flatbed. I don't have a tow truck. I don't have anywhere to put it anyway.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:54 AM   #46
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'd really like to get my hands on one of the newer Caprice ppv's.
I don't know the VIN codes you guys are talking. I had a '92 Caprice but only the 302/305 whatever engine.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #47
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
.. the cops hated them because they had a tendency to flip over or go airborne on road impoerfections in pursuits.

-Christopher
Most cops can NOT drive for 5hit!! The gf's younger daughter is a DC cop. She hit a gas pump and wasn't even on a call. How do you hit a non-moving gas pump?!!?

If you don't know what it is, google "SCCA Solo II" or autocrossing. 1) damn near every CAR is faster than a Caprice/Crown Vic. 2) damn near every DRIVER at an autocross would be faster than a cop even using the cop car. You might have to eliminate the rookie autoxers and the instructor cops but I would bet money that the average autoxer would kick the ever loving hell out of the average cop's time.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #48
Bus Geek

Quote:
I love that movie.
There's a surprise.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:34 AM   #49
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
When did a Dakota come with a 3.9L??? Mine (3rd gen) has a 3.7. First gen had the 4.0L

And don't you already have enough going on?!? I kinda like the flipping idea. I'd like to buy some FL buses. Part out the storage lockers, doors, whatever else and then literally sell it for scrap. But just across town, how do I move a 40 ft bus that doesn't run much less across country. I don't have a flatbed. I don't have a tow truck. I don't have anywhere to put it anyway.
I have a TON of stuff going on, which is exactly why I NEED a van. I don't have anything to pull my work trailer with. Been sharing the Subaru with the old lady and pulling 3000 lbs with the wheezy little four banger.

My old 1993 Dakota had a 3.9. I've not seen a 3.7.
From the web-
Quote:
The 3.9 was used in the Dakota (base motor), Ram 1500 (base motor), and Ram 1500 van (optional; a 318 V8 was standard). Launched in 1986 (for the 1987 Dakota), the engine was a stopgap, but it was good enough to last 13 years. It was finally replaced in the 2001 trucks, ironically by a 3.7 liter version of the 4.7 liter “Next Generation” V8 engine. (Also ironically, a closely related engine — the 360 V8 — had two cylinders added to make a V10 for trucks and Vipers.)

Creating a new engine from an old one
Willem Weertman, the head engine designer, said, “They wanted to have an upgrade power plant from the 4-cylinder; the V-6 was designed as a way of furnishing a V-6 for the least possible tooling costs. Because of capital investment, we didn’t want to get into a whole new engine. We just wanted see what we could do with what we had and that caused us to look at the V-6 version of the Mound Road Engine. That was the way it was done.

“The engine had to be shorter than the V-8 to fit into the compartment. It was only in later years that enough space was found in order to be able to put the V-8 into place. ... We had a challenge on the V-6 because the crank-pins had to be split in order to get away from the very unequal firing if we had only 3 crankpins, each crankpin having two of the connecting rods as is V-8 practice. The reason is that the engine would be rather badly out of balance and would have not been acceptable even in a truck engine. So we had to do some redesigning of the bottom end in order to split the crank pins and make the firing order a little more uniform and it seemed to have worked out ok.”

machining V8 engines

Head of engine tuning Pete Hagenbuch remembered, “The 3.9 which was built in Mound Road, on the machining equipment which included a 90 degree bank angle. It was another one of those boom-boom, boom-boom type engines. I had two of them, both automatics, and it didn’t bother me a bit; but the manuals were awful, especially if you lugged them down in speed.. It set off all kinds of sympathetic vibrations, just an awful way to build an engine. And Chrysler at that time had principles; we didn’t build engines that way.

“I’m confident that it went through the top and came back down with the message that ‘no way, you can’t do that — it’s not commercial.’ Then years later we had already admitted that automatic Tempests and F85s were acceptable as long as you didn’t watch them idle under the hood, where they were just thrashing around. With the vibration absorption you get in a torque converter, they were okay as far as driving was concerned.”

The 3.9 in use
In 1987, its first year, the 3.9 used Holley 6280 two-barrel feedback carburetors. This setup may have lasted into 1988 on Dakotas, but then Dodge slapped an EFI intake and induction on the 318 and the 3.9. They shared a Holley throttle body, until the Magnum versions, and used a non-vacuum advance distributor. One engineer wrote, “I remember they had an awful time with the fuel/air distribution. We were all asked to help out if we had a glimmer.”

From then until the 1991 models, they used single-point fuel injection— relatively inefficient, but easier to control and maintain than a carburetor. The 1992 trucks used a multiple-port injection system instead; the heads and other parts were upgraded at the same time, with more parts interchanging with the 318. The result was a hefty power boost.

In the 1987 Dakota, the 239-cubic-inch V6 pushed out 125 horsepower at 4,000 rpm, and 195 lb-ft of torque at 2,000 rpm, with a 9.2:1 compression ratio. That was far above the 1987 slant six’s 95 hp and 170 lb-ft of torque. Both the 318 and 3.9 gained lower-friction roller hydraulic tappets with this model year.

The Magnum versions, with many changes (see the 318 page), leaped up to 180 hp, and torque jumped from 195 to 220 lb-ft. Gas mileage was roughly 2 mpg better than the Magnum 318.

3.9 liter V6 power

On the 1994 Dakota and Ram, the exhaust manifolds were shrunk to 1 5/8" and the exhaust was reduced to 2.5" from 3", eliminating 5 horsepower but no doubt saving some money. The greater efficiency of the system led engineers to drop EGR on the 1996 trucks.

In 1997, the 3.9 received sequential multiple-port fuel injection, where each injector fires as the cylinder is drawing in air (in the older multiple-port injection systems, the injector often fired against a closed valve). Aided by a larger spark plug gap, the system increased responsiveness, though horsepower and torque ratings remained the same as in 1996: 175 hp @ 4,800 rpm and 225 lb-feet of torque @ 3,200 rpm. At the time, the 318 was producing 230 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque.

Displacement 239 cubic inches / 3906 cc
Bore and stroke 3.91 x 3.31 (90 degree V6)
Valves Overhead - 12 valves, roller followers, hydraulic lifters
Fuel injection 1987: None, Holley carburetor
1988-1991: Single-point electronic
1992-1996: Multiple-point
1997-end: Sequential, returnless multiple-point
Construction Cast iron block and heads
Compression ratio 9.1:1 (1997)
Redline 5,250 rpm (1997)
Fuel 87 octane unleaded regular
Oil, coolant 4 quarts oil, 14 quarts coolant
Emissions 3-way catalyst, two heated oxygen sensors (1997)
EPA mileage
(1997 Dakota) 16 city, 22 highway (2WD, manual transmission)
15 city, 18 highway (4WD, automatic transmission)
Common repairs
Allpar forum member Dean C. found that his 2002 3.9 van would stumble and idle poorly, a few minutes after a warm restart. When the throttle was blipped, it popped; when given a lot of throttle, it revved and ran normally. The stumbling lasted up to a couple of minutes; if driven, it would hesitate, sputter, and pop for several minutes unless given full throttle. After a couple minutes, it would be fine until the van was shut off for 5-15 minutes. Cold starts were normal.

Bob Lincoln wrote that the the 3.9L V-6 often had a vacuum leak at the “belly pan gasket” on the intake manifold, which could cause stumbling and poor idle after a warm restart, and “pops” when the throttle is “blipped.” Bob wrote that another indicator of this problem is oil consumption; the owner can check for black residue, either wet or dry, at the bottom of the throttle body.

“Whitevanguy” added that there can be problems with weak or intermittent grounds causing “weird electrical issues.” Bad MAP sensors can also cause similar problems.

(repair tips | performance tips | the men behind the 3.9 V6: Willem Weertman | Pete Hagenbuch)

Pushbutton automatics Launching the K-cars Little Red Express: Li’l clones
Is there an error on this page? Let us know and you could win a prize!

Home • Engines • Reviews • Chrysler 1904-2017 • Upcoming • Trucks • Cars

Spread the word via Tweet or Facebook!

We make no guarantees regarding validity or accuracy of information, predictions, or advice — see the terms of use and privacy policy. Copyright © 1994-2000, David Zatz; copyright © 2001-2017, Allpar LLC (except as noted, and press/publicity materials); all rights reserved. Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, Ram, and Mopar are trademarks of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

The true story of the Demon’s blue wheels
MSHS 2017: Hemis head to Maple Grove 2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn Black
New Big Horn/Lone Star Black Rams
More Mopar Car
and Truck News

Old 06-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #50
Bus Geek

Quote:
I don't know the VIN codes you guys are talking. I had a '92 Caprice but only the 302/305 whatever engine.
Did you not see the pics and link?
The new Caprice PPV is made by Holden in Australia. 370hp 6.0.
Sort of a low key G8, kinda.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #51
Bus Geek

Quote:
Most cops can NOT drive for 5hit!! The gf's younger daughter is a DC cop. She hit a gas pump and wasn't even on a call. How do you hit a non-moving gas pump?!!?

If you don't know what it is, google "SCCA Solo II" or autocrossing. 1) damn near every CAR is faster than a Caprice/Crown Vic. 2) damn near every DRIVER at an autocross would be faster than a cop even using the cop car. You might have to eliminate the rookie autoxers and the instructor cops but I would bet money that the average autoxer would kick the ever loving hell out of the average cop's time.
Kinda like how 99.9% of motorcyclists can't tap into the real potential of even a 600, yet they're buying 750's and liter-class bikes.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Kinda like how 99.9% of motorcyclists can't tap into the real potential of even a 600, yet they're buying 750's and liter-class bikes.

I can confidently say I'm in the .1% on that one. While I've never had the opportunity to do any track days, I feel my sub-11 minute pass on the Dragon qualifies me.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:26 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Quote:
Did you not see the pics and link?
The new Caprice PPV is made by Holden in Australia. 370hp 6.0.
Sort of a low key G8, kinda.
I did but you were also talking about buying old cop cars off of auction sites so I didn't know if the code was new or old.

Australia does a lot of neat stuff with their V-8s (racing series). It's what NASCRAP should be.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Quote:
I did but you were also talking about buying old cop cars off of auction sites so I didn't know if the code was new or old.

Australia does a lot of neat stuff with their V-8s (racing series). It's what NASCRAP should be.
I'd respect nascar more if they actually raced CARS. But they race v8 go karts made to vaguely resemble real cars. What's the fanfare all about>>??
I just don't understand it. I mean, they used to actually race "stock" cars. Now its just rooting for an M&M's or Tampax logo.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'd respect nascar more if they actually raced CARS. But they race v8 go karts made to vaguely resemble real cars. What's the fanfare all about>>??
I just don't understand it. I mean, they used to actually race "stock" cars. Now its just rooting for an M&M's or Tampax logo.
NASCAR hasn't been "stock" in a very long time. It's been a VERY very long time since they raced stock cars.

I'm not big on ovals in general but they like throwing full course cautions too much and for far too long. Dude spins a car 360° and keeps going is a full caution for 3 or 4 laps. I get the oval and the speeds so it has to be full course but throw the flag and 10 seconds later it's green again when the guy continues on. If he hits something, by all means go out and pick up the pieces.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:38 AM   #56
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
I can confidently say I'm in the .1% on that one. While I've never had the opportunity to do any track days, I feel my sub-11 minute pass on the Dragon qualifies me.
I'm not THAT good, but I've been on two wheels since 1985 or so. New bikes are kinda boring and soulless, imo. Older two strokes are my favorite.
The newest bike I've had was a 2002 ZRX 1200 I bought back in 04'. I put a ton of miles on that bike. The raw power was addictive. Now I'm just into my mopeds. They're like stray cats, I just find them and feel sorry for them. HIGHLY addictive and cheap.Hitting 45+ mph on one feels really rewarding. Passing the rolling roadblocks of harleys is so FUN!

On another note- I got a call from the truck driver last night! Said he'll be here hopefully around 10 or 11 this morning!
Old 07-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Look what showed up this afternoon!

Old 07-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #58
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
safe and sound!! Woohoo!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
YES!!! Great lookinn rig there CB..enjoy

John
Old 07-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #60
Bus Geek

Yeah, its a pretty sweet lil van. Feels like a TINY bus sort of.
Seems pretty nice. The sliding door needs a bit of adjustment to close all the way, but it works really well and was re-done a couple years ago with all new parts.
The power steering is a bit whiny, I'll look into that.
This thing is PERFECT for what I needed! I just love those auctions!!!