Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2017, 08:27 PM   #61
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Congratulations!

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk

Old 07-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Thx Raul!

So- today I only did a little work so I had time to check out the van some more. Still waiting on the title to come in the mail so I can't register it or anything yet.
But its confirmed, the power steering pump is bad. $50 part, not too hard to put on. I'll do that and she should be ready for service. All the fluids and filters are nearly new. All were replaced less than a thousand miles ago in march of this year. I'll change them out in a month or two once I put a couple thousand miles on it.
Tires even look really good. Probably brand new four or five years ago. Crazy that in 14+ years, its only been driven 43k miles!!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #63
Bus Geek

The van came with some really nice, sturdy shelves in the rear. I had to get rid of the big two on the driver's side of the van. And I took out the propane rack. I keep 5 bottles of the stuff at all times, so the rack will be put to good use. HOT today, and I had to bust out the sawzall to get the last bolt holding the shelves in place. It turned and turned but wasn't coming out without FORCE!

Before^

Pretty clean, still has that Dodge smell I remember from our 92 Caravan. Same seats, I think, too.

Anyone got any use for these?

The lock box/center console had to go. No key to it. I may get a new lock and key for it, its REALLY nice and has a clipboard built into the underside of the lid and a sliding tray inside. But I really needed it gone, at least from between the seats.

A feral cat we've been feeding. He disappeared for six months and now he doesn't leave our doorstep much. We're taking him in to get neutered next week. He LOVES the van!
Old 07-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Hope he doesn't read your last post--just sayn'

Jack
ol trunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #65
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Those shelves will work great in RYO when you build it out for temporary storage of the hundreds of bits of hardware, tools etc. Helps keep you organized. Eliminates CRAFT disease partially,

John
Old 07-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #66
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
I can confidently say I'm in the .1% on that one. While I've never had the opportunity to do any track days, I feel my sub-11 minute pass on the Dragon qualifies me.
I don't know my Dragon time but I have had the crotch rocket guys get in my way...

In a Dodge Dakota...

4 door...

V6...

4x4...

Automatic.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #67
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I don't know my Dragon time but I have had the crotch rocket guys get in my way...

In a Dodge Dakota...

4 door...

V6...

4x4...

Automatic.

Yeah, there're definitely a lot of posers up there.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:59 AM   #68
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
dang I missed this thread!! what a great looking van!.. looks like its in really good shape!. definitely keep the shelves for utility around the house or garage. even the seats look like they are in good shape.. come to think of it they have used those same seats in dodge vans forever..

what a score!!!!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #69
Bus Geek

Quote:
Something you crotch rocket guys could learn from the peg draggers is taking a better line. The crotch rocket guys have a tendency of having their wheels on their side of the yellow but not their heads. My bumper doesn't really care if you're wearing a helmet or not.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #70
Bus Geek

the thing that seems to happen to the rocket guys here in ohio.. is they take the whole "outside-inside-outside" thing way too far on corners.. and up in a lean (I dont ride so maybe wring term) and front tire ends up in the paint on either the double yellow or the edge line and down they go.... seems motorcycle tires dont like road paint..

-Christopher
Old 07-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #71
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Ya...paint can be a bitch. Especially if you are running slicks and already pushing the edge. Watched a friend washout hard at maybe 20 mph with almost zero lean on a wet ped x-ing with big, wide stripes.

Paint sux.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #72
Bus Geek

Ohio in my opinion isnt the greatest place to live anyway if you are an avid rider.. the roads here are often damaged from winter salt and such.. asphalt that has the top layer eaten apart may not be glass smooth but the gravel can come out easily and lay on top ofthe road esp near the edges.. and these guys ride FAST!.

on the freeways they run grooved pavement.. people complained about the noise and roughness of perpendicular grooves, so now they run parallel grooves (still supposed to help you from sliding in spotty ice in a car) but sure looks like it makes the bikers work..

-Christopher
Old 07-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #73
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yeah a ton, and the ones from down here in FL are some of the WORST!
My buddy went up there and shortly after starting his ride went right off the side of a mountain on his CBR1000.
I bet I'm faster than him on my mopeds!
Old 07-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Quote:
Something you crotch rocket guys could learn from the peg draggers is taking a better line. The crotch rocket guys have a tendency of having their wheels on their side of the yellow but not their heads. My bumper doesn't really care if you're wearing a helmet or not.
That's a total squid move. Good riders don't do that. I started to say watch the assumptions about me being a crotch rocket guy, but I guess some people might consider my bike a crotch rocket since it isn't a cruiser. I don't though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/779037.../shares/h2PBS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the thing that seems to happen to the rocket guys here in ohio.. is they take the whole "outside-inside-outside" thing way too far on corners.. and up in a lean (I dont ride so maybe wring term) and front tire ends up in the paint on either the double yellow or the edge line and down they go.... seems motorcycle tires dont like road paint..

-Christopher

Yeah, paint offers nowhere near the same amount of traction as asphalt. Especially when it gets even the tiniest amount of water on it. If you hit paint in a corner, it's super easy to wash out the front end or spin up the back tire and end up high-siding.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #75
Bus Geek

Quote:
I started to say watch the assumptions about me being a crotch rocket guy,
I was going solely on 11 minutes. I don't know bikes AT ALL. With an 11 minute time, you damn sure ain't a Harley with saddle bags and pegs with a 6 foot wing span.

Yours isn't quite a crotch rocket but you aren't scrapping any pegs either. Given only 2 classes, you're closer to a crotch rocket than a Gold Wing.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #76
Bus Nut

Quote:

Yours isn't quite a crotch rocket but you aren't scrapping any pegs either. Given only 2 classes, you're closer to a crotch rocket than a Gold Wing.

Oh yeah?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/779037.../shares/wcNX63

At least they designed they bike with hinged pegs, as you can see. There're companies that make sliders that bolt to the bottom of Hypermotard pegs because even though they aren't all that low, dragging them is still well within the capabilities of those bikes.

Speaking of Gold Wings, there used to be an older guy that was up on the Dragon all the time with a yellow Gold Wing. Not sure if he's still around up there or not, but that guy was an insanely good rider, and could really hustle that land barge through the twisties. Over the years, there were a lot of very competent riders up there that were shocked when they looked in their mirrors at the end of the pass and saw it right on their tails when it was nowhere in sight going in. Haha
Old 07-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #77
Bus Geek

You ought not be using those as cigarette lighters unless you want to be on the Tree of Shame.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobrog...57644440882086

I stopped going. Not just because of this guy; the whole group turned into drama llamas.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #78
Bus Nut

Oh, I hung a clutch master cylinder reservoir in it on my first trip up there.

Stupid mistake. I was following too closely to somebody that was holding me up. For some reason he touched his rear brake in the middle of a corner just enough to get his brake light to flash. I saw the light in my peripheral and before I could even think about what I'd done, I'd grabbed just enough front brake to wash it into a ditch. Very little damage. The bike I had at that point had clip-ons with carbon fiber bars. It snapped one of the bars right at the clip-on, and broke the barb off the master cylinder pee cup. No big deal. Just pulled the broken piece of the bar out of the clip on, flipped the remaining portion of the bar so I was using an unbroken end and remounted the switch cluster and master. Doubled over the hose and put a zip tie on it to keep any crud from getting into the master cylinder and enjoyed the rest of my weekend. Hung the cup in the Tree of Shame on the way back home.

Good times. Definitely not as shameful as shooting a CBR down into the woods though. Haha
Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #79
Bus Geek

Quote:
Good times. Definitely not as shameful as shooting a CBR down into the woods though. Haha
He replaced it with one of the fancy crotch rockets. ... starts with an A. Can't remember and too lazy to look it up. Italian or European I think? Not a Dutaci (sp).
Old 07-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #80
Bus Nut

Quote:
He replaced it with one of the fancy crotch rockets. ... starts with an A. Can't remember and too lazy to look it up. Italian or European I think? Not a Dutaci (sp).

That would be an Aprilia.

Proper spelling is Ducati. That's the only brand of road bike I've ever owned. I'm on my third one. But I think I'm getting ready to defect and buy an old Honda CB.