Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Hard to find a bus with so many bus flippers

This bus buying thing is driving me nuts. I am in search of a mid sized bus 7 to 9 windows. 40' is too long to navigate smaller forest service roads that i'd like to use. I have been reading and lurking on here for a while. I have things all planned out in my head, all I need is a bus. I notice that there are several buyers that jack the price up and try flipping them for huge profits. I have been outbid by several people. I will later find the bus online for massive markups. I just want a bus. I wanna be cool like you guys. There is no real point to this post other than i needed to vent and see if it also bothers you guys. the hunt and bidding on a few different buses has been going on for over 6 months. I have gotten close, but still working on it. okay. back to searching.

Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
This bus buying thing is driving me nuts. I am in search of a mid sized bus 7 to 9 windows. 40' is too long to navigate smaller forest service roads that i'd like to use. I have been reading and lurking on here for a while. I have things all planned out in my head, all I need is a bus. I notice that there are several buyers that jack the price up and try flipping them for huge profits. I have been outbid by several people. I will later find the bus online for massive markups. I just want a bus. I wanna be cool like you guys. There is no real point to this post other than i needed to vent and see if it also bothers you guys. the hunt and bidding on a few different buses has been going on for over 6 months. I have gotten close, but still working on it. okay. back to searching.

Keep trying.

If the "flippers" are paying more, they have a limit because they need to make a profit, but you have to outbid them.

Most of us who bought at auction pretty much paid what dealers would pay for the same vehicle. In my case that was just under $4k, which is at the higher end of the prices people here paid, but it's a helluva lot of bus.

We are approaching peak season for bus sales, so there should be lots of choice out there.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:41 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Here's one I would love to have....available now.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/19...-md-22058.html

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:28 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Keep trying.

If the "flippers" are paying more, they have a limit because they need to make a profit, but you have to outbid them.

Most of us who bought at auction pretty much paid what dealers would pay for the same vehicle. In my case that was just under $4k, which is at the higher end of the prices people here paid, but it's a helluva lot of bus.

We are approaching peak season for bus sales, so there should be lots of choice out there.
Is there a peak bus sale season? is it June when school lets out for the summer? flooded market could get the price lower!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Here's one I would love to have....available now.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/19...-md-22058.html
Too far away but very cool. good price too. I really worry about the overhang from the front bumper to the tire. gotta watch the approach on driveways and anything at an angle. I like the TC1000 but that is my biggest concern. with a flat nose you really maximize your living space.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
Is there a peak bus sale season? is it June when school lets out for the summer? flooded market could get the price lower!
Most schools are out by end May.

At that point the school districts will assess what they have and clear space for new buses arriving over the summer.

Some they will keep as spares. Others, and previous spares, will go to auction.

They may feed them out, or list a whole bunch at once because they need the money.

Build Thread
Old 04-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #7
Bus Geek

The International (IC) factory is just a few miles down the road from here.

The other day I noticed they had rented some storage space for new buses ready to go to customers. The lot is full. There must be 200 buses there.

Every one that goes out over the next 3 months means a bus somewhere will be for sale.

Build Thread
Old 04-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If you consistently see your bus going for more than you want to pay, your expectations might be too high and you'll need to up your ante. How far in between the Flippers buying and flipping price can you push to and start bidding that price. Reminds me of the sign in the shop that says "We offer the following:
Quick Service
Quality Work
Cheap Pricing
You can have 2 of the above."
You can narrow your search if you widen the search area to the whole country. Your bus is out there in your budget.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:29 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
If you consistently see your bus going for more than you want to pay, your expectations might be too high and you'll need to up your ante. How far in between the Flippers buying and flipping price can you push to and start bidding that price. Reminds me of the sign in the shop that says "We offer the following:
Quick Service
Quality Work
Cheap Pricing
You can have 2 of the above."
You can narrow your search if you widen the search area to the whole country. Your bus is out there in your budget.
I based what I believe I think is a fair find based on what other users here post about what they payed. I will just be patient
Old 04-16-2018, 11:30 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Keep head up, it will come along. May have to work your top dollar a little. As said in post, schools should dump there extra amd help boost markets. But that dont meen flipping guys won't be hitting it also. Best of luck give it a little time.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote