Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
If you don't put it on the front row windows, you're golden. Otherwise, the polizei will be on you like white on rice.

CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:38 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 466e
I was under the impression that if it were anywhere on the vehicle you would be in hot water. The issue being the potential to blind other motorists.
naes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemadTurk View Post
reference mirror reflective film: Mine worked great on the 3 back windows that did not have any tint to them but on the side glass that has a slight tent, the film did not provide the mirrored look. Its like the 2 tints are working against each other.

I wonder if there is still an advantage, from a heat standpoint of having both factory tint and gila reflective on the inside. I’m not going for a look. Did you happen to take temp readings with and without reflective film?
Thx, Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by naes14 View Post
Does anyone know how reflective the Gila or 3m film is? My state doesn't allow more than 20 percent reflectivity for autos.
Is it 20% REFLECTION, or 20% light transmission? I don't know of any law against reflective window tints. I have seen chrome cars on the road.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:00 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

I'm sorry, I just realized I never replied to this thread. Here is the text on window tint for NC.

(b) Window Tinting Restrictions. – A window of a vehicle that is operated on a highway or a public vehicular area shall comply with this subsection. The windshield of the vehicle may be tinted only along the top of the windshield and the tinting may not extend more than five inches below the top of the windshield or below the AS1 line of the windshield, whichever measurement is longer. Provided, however, an untinted clear film which does not obstruct vision but which reduces or eliminates ultraviolet radiation from entering a vehicle may be applied to the windshield. Any other window of the vehicle may be tinted in accordance with the following restrictions:

(1) The total light transmission of the tinted window shall be at least thirty-five percent (35%). A vehicle window that, by use of a light meter approved by the Commissioner, measures a total light transmission of more than
thirty-two percent (32%) is conclusively presumed to meet this restriction.

(2) The light reflectance of the tinted window shall be twenty percent (20%) or less.

(3) Tinted film or another material used to tint the window shall be nonreflective and shall not be red, yellow, or amber.

However since my original question I found a list of exempted vehicles for the side window restrictions and motor homes are listed.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Realizing this post is 2 years old now, most modern SUV's and minivans have almost limo grade tinting on the rear glass from the factory.

I don't see a law enforcement officer actually getting out a meter roadside and testing the tint on one's windows.
Unless its on the windshield, or driver/passenger front seating areas...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:10 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
does anyone make low E "smart" glass that is automotive grade? the Andersen windows in my house are such that they are 95% clear, and only let heat in when the sun angle is low and then block it when the angle is higher.. and it works.. in summer my nearly black table in front of a window is only a few degrees hotter than the inside when the afternoon sun hits it.. in winter the afternoon sun actually warms me when I sit in front of the window as the angle is lower .. something like that for my bus would be awesome if they made it..
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:30 PM   #28
Almost There

Year: 2003
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP EF
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 29 (Perimeter Seating)
Has anyone tried solar screen:
SunScreen®: Solar Window Screen Material | Phifer.
im not able to properly test it right now but running this OUTSIDE the windows could make a big difference. in the small test i did i just hooked some up outside with a magnet to cover one window, then measured enormous differences in temp between the screened vs no screen.

the toughest part to me seems like attaching to the outside of a bus that will be truckin along at 60 mph. any ideas?
stlthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:41 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Apparently some high end sports cars come with it now. I just found out that they make low e window film that have lower emissivity than traditional solar control films! This could be huge for those of us with a lot of single pane glass.

I'm thinking this could be a great thing for our windshields! Visible light can pass but heat is reflected out in the summer and in in the winter.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:12 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlthe View Post

the toughest part to me seems like attaching to the outside of a bus that will be truckin along at 60 mph. any ideas?
The ad says it's woven fiberglass, and also keeps out insects......why not just install it as you would a bug screen? Plenty of folks here that have done that without failures.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote