Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2016, 07:50 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Im not planning on riding out a blizzard or visiting ND in January. I just need something to knock the chill off of a cool SW dezert morning or morning in the mountains. Furnaces draw to much battery power for boondocking.

mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #22
Bus Nut

I picked up a Mr. Heater Big Buddy for 138.00 as a backup propane heater. It says to use it outside only so it will be used during the conversion and if I have to do maintenance in the cold. Could not pass up the deal regular cost up here is 250.00
JMO Gordon

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
It says to use it outside only
Heh THAT makes sense..... label a heater "Outside use only".... like anyone is gonna heed that.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
I wonder if one of these "heat powered fans" would do any good sitting on top of that heater you are thinking about?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012U9E3JW?psc=1
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:20 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Those heat powered fans help to circulate the hot air but don't expect it to push high volumes of air.

Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:22 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i know you said no wood burning but here is a cool stove if you got an extra $4k sitting around.

The Kimberlyâ„¢ Wood Stove |
Old 11-25-2016, 06:58 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
...here is a cool stove if you got an extra $4k sitting around...
Ten dollar horse and a twenty dollar saddle?
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:03 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Nice! I haven't heard that one in a while.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
Those heat powered fans help to circulate the hot air but don't expect it to push high volumes of air.

Of course they are not going to push big air.
But if they at least push the warmer air away, the cooler air will fill the void.

Don't know if they would work sitting on a propane heater.
They might be too efficient to get enough heat to make the fan run.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:32 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
I always like "five dollar whore in a ten dollar dress"
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Or 10 gallons **** in a 5 gallon bucket
Old 11-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
i know you said no wood burning but here is a cool stove if you got an extra $4k sitting around.

The Kimberlyâ„¢ Wood Stove |
That sure is slick with the attachments and all, but sadly no wood burners.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:57 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

You should look into the Webasto Airtop 12 volt diesel fired forced air heater. It uses very little fuel and even less electricity, and should be enough to take the chill off those Arizona mornings you describe. (For that matter, you could leave it on all night on low, and never have a chill to worry about when you wake up!)

It can be set to recirculate interior air or to bring fresh air. Given that you're dealing with respiratory issues, it should be a fairly simple mod to rig up a HEPA filtered outside air intake on the underside of the bus. I'd probably use the coffee can shape shop vac HEPA filter (or two, stacked).

Plumbing propane is a hassle, an expense and it adds a significant safety concern. I'd be relieved to have the little Webasto, which is able to use the existing diesel fuel tank.

FWIW, the Kimberly wood stove is ridiculously overpriced and incapable of delivering the claimed BTU output and burn times. (And yes, I'm an expert...)
BlueBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:34 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBirdman View Post
You should look into the Webasto Airtop 12 volt diesel fired forced air heater....
$3K+? I hope to not spend that much for the whole bus. Though looking at it together ($6K for a warm bus), might yet be a good deal. But... a bit of sticker shock.

Webasto Air Top 55 17,000 Btu Forced Air Marine Heater with Surewire

Quote:
...Plumbing propane is a hassle, an expense and it adds a significant safety concern. I'd be relieved to have the little Webasto, which is able to use the existing diesel fuel tank....
Good point. Lotsa value there!
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:00 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
You should look into the Webasto Airtop 12 volt diesel fired forced air heater. It uses very little fuel and even less electricity, and should be enough to take the chill off those Arizona mornings you describe. (For that matter, you could leave it on all night on low, and never have a chill to worry about when you wake up!)

It can be set to recirculate interior air or to bring fresh air. Given that you're dealing with respiratory issues, it should be a fairly simple mod to rig up a HEPA filtered outside air intake on the underside of the bus. I'd probably use the coffee can shape shop vac HEPA filter (or two, stacked).

Plumbing propane is a hassle, an expense and it adds a significant safety concern. I'd be relieved to have the little Webasto, which is able to use the existing diesel fuel tank.

FWIW, the Kimberly wood stove is ridiculously overpriced and incapable of delivering the claimed BTU output and burn times. (And yes, I'm an expert...)
I was wondering how much it costs..but is it regardless of where its mounted? It seems like an excellent heater.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:14 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Hey everyone,

Inspired by Rednic on youtube making wood stoves out of empty propane tanks, i am near completion on my own wood stove project. (empty tanks must be empty, and then have the valve unscrewed and filled with water before any cutting or drilling can take place without explosion risk)

Skoolie heat options - Album on Imgur

I also installed a propane fireplace in the bedroom area of this bus (see picture) and that has been superb, but i am craving a wood stove for nights when i am inside early and will NOT be leaving for awhile and am hanging out watching tv and playing online.

Still need to finish the vent and a few details but am close. Oh AND all the snading and drilling and dremeling was done with the solar power. Wow i sanded for a half hour today and still have plenty of battery power for tv and lights, and this is only a two panel 200w system. Solar is cool. Also super excited to be able to scavange wood from the alleys. Love being resourceful. These tanks will hold a considerable amount of wood.

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:10 PM   #37
Bus Nut

I would be interested to know if the seam where the tank halves were welded together can stand up to the heat that a wood stove going full tilt will put out....

And amen to filling the tank with water before cutting/drilling. The ONLY way to be sure all the explosive vapors have been vented out.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:12 AM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
you would melt the propane tank body at the same time you melted the seam, both are steel and have the same melting temp, and a wood fire in that small of a tank will never get hot enough to melt the steel, might make it glow dull red
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:54 AM   #39
Bus Nut

Yea I guess..... even if it's only glowing dull red that's a lot hotter than I would like an exposed (non-cooking) surface to get.... minimum second, more likely third degree burns if you bump into it, and if something falls against it and you don't see it.....
Old 11-27-2016, 06:29 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
[QUOTE=BlueBirdman;172881]You should look into the Webasto Airtop 12 volt diesel fired forced air heater. It uses very little fuel and even less electricity, and should be enough to take the chill off those Arizona mornings you describe. (For that matter, you could leave it on all night on low, and never have a chill to worry about when you wake up!)

so your not using propane to cook or heat water with?
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote