Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
Yea I guess..... even if it's only glowing dull red that's a lot hotter than I would like an exposed (non-cooking) surface to get.... minimum second, more likely third degree burns if you bump into it, and if something falls against it and you don't see it.....
You could always surround the body with expanded metal/hardware cloth etc.
spaced out about an inch or so.

DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:13 AM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
[QUOTE=superdave;173066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBirdman View Post
You should look into the Webasto Airtop 12 volt diesel fired forced air heater. It uses very little fuel and even less electricity, and should be enough to take the chill off those Arizona mornings you describe. (For that matter, you could leave it on all night on low, and never have a chill to worry about when you wake up!)

It can be set to recirculate interior air or to bring fresh air. Given that you're dealing with respiratory issues, it should be a fairly simple mod to rig up a HEPA filtered outside air intake on the underside of the bus. I'd probably use the coffee can shape shop vac HEPA filter (or two, stacked).

Plumbing propane is a hassle, an expense and it adds a significant safety concern. I'd be relieved to have the little Webasto, which is able to use the existing diesel fuel tank.

so your not using propane to cook or heat water with?
Im putting in a tankless propane water heater, and am undecided on the fridge. Considering the induction cooking tops.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

I was referring to this unit: Webasto Air Top 2000ST Deisel Truck Bunk Heater 12V w/ smartemp and install kit | eBay

Set on high, it should serve the needs the OP described. Set on low and running all night, as I mentioned earlier, it might keep things warm enough that it didn't need to be set on high in the morning. All depends on how cold it gets where you're parked and how airtight your build is...
BlueBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
We have a Mr. Heater Buddy that we use inside. Have to lock the cats in the other room so they won't catch themselves on fire, but it definitely heats up the bus. It just uses a lot of propane. This year we're going to get one of the 20 lb. hookups for it instead of using one of the little single lb canisters every time we need it. Although honestly we never bother to heat unless it's below about 50 degrees, and that doesn't happen often when we chase a warm winter.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBirdman View Post
I was referring to this unit: Webasto Air Top 2000ST Deisel Truck Bunk Heater 12V w/ smartemp and install kit | eBay

Set on high, it should serve the needs the OP described. Set on low and running all night, as I mentioned earlier, it might keep things warm enough that it didn't need to be set on high in the morning. All depends on how cold it gets where you're parked and how airtight your build is...
Similar here, use a Planar heater. 14000btu, uses .8 to 5 amps. 24 hrs +- per gal diesel from it's own tank. Set and forget thermostat and it does a great job.