Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Heating with wood.

Just wondering what those who heat with wood, especially those who travel, do for firewood? I heat my small 520 sq ft workshop with wood. It is very well insulated with spray foam. This pile of wood probably won't last till spring. In below 0 weather it takes about a tree a week.

I am fortunate in that I have a lot of dead ash trees and a wife who likes to help split and stack. Well, actually, she likes to pull the handle on the log splitter. Are you buying it, seems expensive? Scrounging for pallets, supply seems iffy and more work pulling pallets apart than cutting and splitting would be. If you are stationary and have a supply it kind of makes sense you can amass a large pile. If you are mobile I just don't see how you can carry very much.

I will be the first to admit that my homemade stove heating arrangement is very inefficient and I like to keep things warm, wife says hot. Will those tiny wood stoves keep a fire going all night? In the last few days I have seen posts by people who are heating with wood and are freezing (don't know particulars of their build other than heating with one of the mini stoves)

Dick

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
Will those tiny wood stoves keep a fire going all night?

Dick
Nope, not a chance. It'll take the chill off during the daytime, for sure, but it needs to be fed every 1 1/2 to 2 hrs (optimistically) so it's not really something that'll let you get a full night's sleep without feeding it. The firebox on our Cubic Grizzly only accepts 6"-ish chunks of wood. We've slept in cool weather (30's at night) comfortably, but "comfort" is in the eye of the beholder.

We're exploring options to add some thermal mass to the outside of the stove but until we really start living in it, it's all speculation as to how it'll shake out. Perhaps a larger pot-belly stove is something we'll look into, I dunno.....we're assuming that both the bus and our lifestyle will morph as we're living in it. It'll be an evolution in many respects.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
My Cubic Grizzly Mini will not heat overnight - As Drew Bru mentioned - they have to be fed every hour or so. I use it to heat up the bus in the evening - it will get the bus nice and warm (70's) when it's about 30-40 outside. I still haven't been in a spot that is much colder.
I wake up to cold air - but then use the Mr. Buddy to warm up the bus in the morning for a bit. If it is going to stay cold - I will get the wood stove going in the morning.
It does use a fair amount of wood - I have yet to find wood that will burn slower...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0750.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	28055

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_c20.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	28056

I just need to find a gnome, troll, or elf to feed the fire every hour over night....
Old 12-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I use it to heat up the bus in the evening - it will get the bus nice and warm (70's) when it's about 30-40 outside. I still haven't been in a spot that is much colder.
I wake up to cold air - but then use the Mr. Buddy to warm up the bus in the morning for a bit. If it is going to stay cold - I will get the wood stove going in the morning

That's been our exact experience as well, we've used our Mr. Buddy heater to take the chill off in the morning and if we're going to hang around we'll get the stove going again. Between the two options, we've had a pretty good experience in 30s-40s weather......and if it's a sunny day the bus is easily 25 deg. above the outside air temp. and the Grizzly will keep us toasty. So it's nice to hear the perspective of a full-timer that has the same equipment as us. We'll have to pick your brain sometime about full-timing with dogs....we're still on the fence on that one.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Just got one of these for the bus. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Won't be great for all occasions but will do the trick on chilly nights.
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: FE 300
I have an even smaller bulkhead mount stove that needs to be restocked every 20min or so. Great for ambiance and surprisingly not bad on heat...
Attached Thumbnails
20181206_181308.jpg   20181206_192414.jpg   20181206_192435.jpg   20181209_134221.jpg  
_rideswell_ is offline   Reply With Quote