Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2018, 04:52 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
Johnny, how does it handle highways?
Any tips for how to get the most out of this bus?
No problem on the interstate. Only thing is get used to getting passed. I travel at 60 MPH on the interstate and the bus is comfortable there. If you can find a shop that can plug in to your computer you can adjust a few settings to make it better.

Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:57 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
Johnny, how does it handle highways?
Any tips for how to get the most out of this bus?
Swap transmissions, upgrade the cooling system, and reflash for more hp.
Making a bus into what you want costs a lot more than finding a good one from the get-go.
I had a short bus with 175hp and 545. Was 23 feet long. It wasn't fun for what I use a bus for so I sold it and bought one with a 215hp DT466 and allison 2000.
Now I've got a Cat with a reman 545 and the bus only has 64k original miles. In 64k miles its already went through at least one 545 trying to keep up with atlanta interstate traffic speeds.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:50 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
When did you learn how to get more hp? I want some more hp!

finally figured out the right "sauce" for the computer and software to where every single setting is opened up. it all started with my trying to change my trans type from Allison AT/MT to allison MD (what navistar used for all 2000/3000 connected to 'E' engines)..

the HP rating parameter is simply an integer value where you can type from 2 to 500.. of course if you exceed your hardware you run a very high risk of damaging or destroying your engine.. as its going to fuel heavier without regard to EGT or the limits of your turbo / bottom end / injectors / lift pump / HPOP / etc..

the 230 /250 HP variant of the 444E uses a different turbo that includes a wastegate.. the 210 HP turbo doesnt have a wastegate or variable vane.

I havent looked to see if the wastegate is electronic or mechanical..

power-adding also puts more stress on the lower internals.. ive mentioned it before someplace from experience that heavy duty power adding to an old engine is really risky.. your engine spends its whole life at a certain RPM and fueling range.. rings seat in, bearings wear in, etc.. then when you heavily power add (more than 50 HP) you take that engine out of its comfort zone.. power adding to a newly or recently Reman engine is a much safer proposition.. so i dont plan on trying to get 230 or 250 HP out of my engine.. now if I have to rebuild or replace it? then all bets are off and id play..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:24 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
finally figured out the right "sauce" for the computer and software to where every single setting is opened up. it all started with my trying to change my trans type from Allison AT/MT to allison MD (what navistar used for all 2000/3000 connected to 'E' engines)..

the HP rating parameter is simply an integer value where you can type from 2 to 500.. of course if you exceed your hardware you run a very high risk of damaging or destroying your engine.. as its going to fuel heavier without regard to EGT or the limits of your turbo / bottom end / injectors / lift pump / HPOP / etc..
-Christopher
I have the Snap On Nequis IQ with the International and Allison software installed available at my work. Any way I can tweak the settings more with the software I have? I was able to turn off road speed limiter, enable cruise and set speed parameters, Disable EBP, etc but that is as far as I got. Something I am missing or do I need to make a road trip to see you?

How can you make a 190 HP T444E a 210 HP without dealer software?
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:42 PM   #25
Bus Geek

I’ve been a computer nerd since I was 11 or so. Around 1980 I got really into it - this stuff is natural to me.. I live it sleep it breathe it.
I can probably reflash any parameter your ECM has..
Christopher
Old 11-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Christopher can you bump my Vista to 210? Pretty please and sugar on top?
Old 11-01-2018, 08:18 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Here’s the thing about bumping the HP on AT545 equipped engines, will your transmission hold up?

Broke down- I’ve not tried on a 3 box system , it may be hard coded into the VPM. Be interesting to try though.
Christopher
Old 11-01-2018, 08:49 AM   #28
Bus Geek

I would expect an added cooler to offset the difference. I need to do a fluid and filter change soon anyway which would be a great time to add a cooler and temp sensor.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I would expect an added cooler to offset the difference. I need to do a fluid and filter change soon anyway which would be a great time to add a cooler and temp sensor.

do both filters.. the 545s have an internal filter and should also have a spin-on that is in the cooler line circuit. a bigger cooler and clean fluid will help but ultimately the torque issue on a 545 is the small input shaft sun shell. the 545 did live behind the 185 HP DTA-360. which is pretty torquey as its an I-6. so with a 444E it nay be fine as i think the torque numbers are a little lower per HP than the I6 engines.

im not sure what broke in my DEV bus, I havent taken the old trans apart yet to find out, that DTA360 is 185HP per Jasper. and I ran that bus all over the place like you run sport. sport is probably light enough that you wouldnt be hammering it as hard as a full size.

-Christopher
Old 11-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Now we just need to convince you to buy a 3126 Cat!
Old 11-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Now we just need to convince you to buy a 3126 Cat!

who? me?

find me a Shorty Thomas C2 with 3126, ally 2000, and factory A/C

-Christopher
Old 11-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Christopher are you still travelling between Ohio and Orlando? If that route takes you down 75 it would be awesome to have a visit. I'll buy you dinner at your restaurant of choice (choices here are limited!)
Old 11-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Christopher are you still travelling between Ohio and Orlando? If that route takes you down 75 it would be awesome to have a visit. I'll buy you dinner at your restaurant of choice (choices here are limited!)
I shot him a text about him coming to FL... Still waiting!!!
Old 11-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #34
Bus Geek

But did you try to lure him with food?
Old 11-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #35
Bus Geek

lol I hasve bneen travelling everywhere but FL this year.. but thats about to change.. im actively looking for an apt in WPB plus we have about 8 installs upcoming in FL.. (and more to follow after that).. im still trying to work out scheduling.. (theres an install in cayman thats likely going to go fast so I may end up flying to miami but going to try and drive down, ditch the bus at my office.. we are working details now..)..

Food never lures me but EXPRESSO does lolol and of course anything bus related..

crap I just hijacked another thread lolol
Old 11-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Since this thread has been largely derailed, I just want to pitch in an opinion for the OP.

We've put about 40k on our Vista. It's got the 175 rated T444E and the AT542 (basically at AT545 with a smaller fluid pan). Another Vista owner weighed his empty and it was about 12500, I figure all-in we're adding another 2500 all-in with people and furnishings and food and clothes and cats and our scooter on the back.

Overall it has been a very reliable setup. I've had to replace the alternator (old one fully failed), revamped a large portion of the air conditioners, a glow plug solenoid, and otherwise just normal maintenance. I've been at both temperature extremes, I've been at very high altitudes, I've climbed up and down mountains. It's obviously not a hot rod! If I could get some free HP I'd take it.. but the real limiter seems to be transmission heat. This series of transmission dumps a lot of your power into heat instead of making wheels roll when you're at highway speeds and especially climbing hills. With 1.95 tires and a 4.78:1 rear axle it has a cruising speed just under 60mph, and I believe a lower ratio axle would improve things all around by reducing engine and transmission rpm at highway speed, where both are operating more efficiently. This model uses a split radiator so engine heat and transmission heat are largely combines. Adding a transmission cooler before the main radiator should reduce transmission temperatures significantly as well as help lower engine temps. Heat is what kills both of them!

I absolutely wouldn't flinch about driving across the country again in this bus as it sits today. But horsepower is great and if I can get a bump for nearly free that's a no brainer, but as I mentioned a transmission cooler upgrade would have to go along with it!
Old 11-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
But did you try to lure him with food?
Food? Thats the one thing that doesn't work as Chris bait.
I do have a really sweet vintage Japanese triathlon bike for him next time I see him and I'm DESPERATE for more sets of eyes and opinions about this new bus of ours!
Old 11-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
lol I hasve bneen travelling everywhere but FL this year.. but thats about to change.. im actively looking for an apt in WPB plus we have about 8 installs upcoming in FL.. (and more to follow after that).. im still trying to work out scheduling.. (theres an install in cayman thats likely going to go fast so I may end up flying to miami but going to try and drive down, ditch the bus at my office.. we are working details now..)..

Food never lures me but EXPRESSO does lolol and of course anything bus related..

crap I just hijacked another thread lolol
Well please do! I NEED a reason to go to WPB. There are lots of MMJ locations in that area I want to try!
Old 11-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #39
Bus Geek

There's a solid chance I won't have the Sport Bus any more next time I see you it seems!
Old 11-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #40
Bus Geek

are you selling the sport bus once the wanderlounge is finished?