Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2006, 12:11 AM   #41

yo driver
can't believe this happened.....
but there again....
so skoolies ah!
any of you thinking of going to burning man this year?
maybe jason could hitch a ride instead of driving all the way himself, what da ya reacon?
we always need a paramedic around, just in case we get stuck on a beach or in a desert and then attacked by a great white shark.....with blinky lites...

i say this, as we at the black rock burner hostel, need the bus driver and he needs to be there..

one day i'm going to buy a bus and travel all over the states and see your beautiful land and pick up people to take them to bm just before the man burns woooooowwww...

anyhow this is a pretty cool board and keep it up you skoolies
laters
kiwi

Old 03-23-2006, 02:33 AM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
[
I suggest taking it to a truck wash (failing that, rent the biggest pressure-washer you can) and blasting every inch of the underside thoroughly. When you're done, take it to the towing company & pressure-wash the crooks who pulled it out.
If he does that, he is gong to force the sand and salt into little cracks and crevaces inteh body that he didn't know existed. The best thing is low pressure water, like from a garden hose.
Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:11 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via AIM to mike
Just how much water before it floats?

Well its happened to me once got caught out on an island when the tide was coming in while on vacation in Plymouth Mass. the water got so deep I had to remove the fan belts , after burning up the alternator , starter ,and the rear axle which was full of salt water failed coming thru Richmound Va. after getting home it took me a week to wash and wax the truck,Well I ended up totaling it the following month. The salt was going to eat it up anyways so the end result was a blessing. I was a lot deeper than you all, the hardest part was feeling the water covered road couldn't see nothing but shore line. Just glad you made it back to hard ground and whats a road trip with out some little excitement, now comes the harder part of cleaning it.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:27 PM   #44
Bus Geek

so far i have noticed no ill effects from the bus vs ocean fight of the century, other than a few small rust spots here or there. Looks like i'll probably repaint the bus before summer is over....UGGG

That's allright though, I like the paint that phill used on his bus so much, that I think i'll also use automotive paint this time around. It'll cost a bit more...but wow! IT sure looks nice.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:32 PM   #45
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Did you change the oil in your tans and rear end? Wonder how your wheel bearings are holding up...
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:45 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Ok, I was hesistant to post my reply to this thread, because it was still a little close. I'm hoping it will be received in the spirit I send it. Or at least the sting is far enough past I can say this.

I read this whole story while I was waiting to buy my first bus. As an outsider and as a newbie, this was really funny. Like hilarious, laughing and getting weird looks from coworkers funny. And I know if it was my bus, I'd have been seriously angry, and I'd have probably wounded anyone who laughed at the situation, especially in the heat of it.

Understand - it's not funny. I know it's not funny. The ocean almost ate your bus, with all the time, energy and investment involved and everything. Not Funny.

Except it was really funny to read. And to see the pics of the sand coming in the front door. And the bus stuck in the sand photos were funny. The tow truck drivers and their incompetence was hilarious. Almost losing the bus but not losing the bus was funny. All Very Funny.

The whole story was a perfect example of how One Small Thing can escalate into a Really Big Deal, and I think this story should be mandatory reading for anyone ever intending to go through a conversion, or drive a bus, or drive an RV, or go to the beach. "Kids, Don't Do This. Seriously."

And I seriously don't mean this as an insult to the bus driver or owner. I love the bus. I'm glad it survived. But the story is still hilarious. It all starts off with a Simple Mistake Anyone Could Make, and turns into Nature Hates You All And Wants You To Die.

The story would have been less funny if Nature had won though.
sneakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:44 AM   #47
Skoolie

Engine: CAT 3208 NA
So ease your guilt by Paypal-ing him a few bucks for the tow fund and then laugh hard and long!

Jake.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #48
Bus Geek

It is a reasonably amusing story......People laugh all the time when i tell them about driving hte bus on the beach.

Even though the situation was bad at the time, we were at least trapped in paradise while it was freezing cold back home.

i'm not offended at all by the fact that yo uare amused by the story
Old 05-29-2006, 10:42 PM   #49
Almost There

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American FE
Engine: Cummins 555 9.1 L diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Glad you're bus doesn't swim with the fishes

Sent 1%...you may be at 95 or 94% now... sorry to hear about the adventure.

Branden
Old 03-18-2007, 12:54 PM   #50
Bus Geek

all total between skoolie, burningman folks, and a few other sources i was able to bring in about $800 in donations toward the tow truck fund. I think that is simply amazing! It was totally unexpected. I thought i might get a hundred bucks or something.

It actually ended up costing a total of $3,500 for the tow truck. That sucked a lot!....but it's not the end of the world. At least i'm fortunate enough to have a good job so i can pay for things like this.

I can't begin to express my appreciation to all the people who donated. A couple people gave $100 each, some only gave $5. It all meant a lot to me. I figure that the guy who donated $5 actually gave a larger percentage of his net worth than the guy who gave $100. To see the support that complete strangers, friends, and aquaintances gave was almost enough to make me cry.

THANKS!
Old 03-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #51
Bus Nut

... Glad to help... All the best...
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote