Old 03-17-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Help!! Jasons bus is being eaten by the Ocean!!

So were still in south padre island & Jason decided to take his bus north along the beach and camp out last night, while the rest of us stayed behind & camped in my bus here at the campground.

Jason walked up this morning & told us that his bus is stuck on the beach & the waves are eroding the sand from under his bus. It's buried up to the frame & waves are crashing aginst the side of the bus during hi tide. I guess he was up most of the night trying to dig it out. Now were sitting in my bus here in the campground waiting for the tow truck driver to come so he can drive us out there to assess the situation but he estimates it to be about $1,500 to get it out.

Oh yeah his bus is about 20 miles north of the last (northrnmost) access point off the main road on the island.

I called about renting a dozer to get it out but it will cost about $1,250 to have a cat D5 but then we have to worry about getting that stuck on the beach.... ugggggg. My bus is way worse in the sand than Jasons bus is, he has already had to pull me out several times while on the beach, so thats not an option.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get it out.

I'll post pictures later...
Old 03-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Also, make sure a price is agreed upon based on the effort and required equipment for extraction. Bare in mind there will be some snafus so it may be more expensive than you expect, but make sure they have adequate equipment from the getgo and that they know what they're doing. I'd hate to see you pay an hourly charge while the tower works to get his own rig out or while you wait for him to get more/heavier equipment out there.

That said...maybe renting the D5 isn't sure a bad idea....it won't get stuck IMHO. If it doesn't get the bus out, atleast you can give it a proper burial anyway .

What.....no AAA?
Old 03-17-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 366 Gas
I would go with the dozer......Has anyone heard how they are coming???
Old 03-18-2006, 01:58 AM   #5
Bus Nut

To whom this may concern regarding Jason's sinkage in the sand,

SOOOOOO....Here we are 24 hours later and a tow truck came out and got stuck.....a guy in a suzuki laughed about getting us out.....anyways at high tide the waves where coming in the door....at low tide the bumper was mostly out of the water...... nothing has worked....the tow truck eventually ended up snaping a suppose to be 60,000 lb cable..........No luck but it is 1 am here and don't know what to do.......Right now Jason and the tow truck are trying to pull it out at this very moment......well we will let you know how this all come out

p.s.--- the engine has been running for twenty four hours because of the exhaust under the water.......well thats it for now........
Old 03-18-2006, 02:15 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Empty the hot tub. That's a lot of weight on the back wheels pushing you into the sand.
If the rear axle is in the sand, you better dig it out before your try again.

I'd go with the Cat.

Don't try and pull it out with your bus. One bus lost in the surf is bad enough.
Photos?
Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:33 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I think Im going to cry if you dont get that bus out of the sand
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:36 AM   #8
Bus Nut

The bus is about 28 miles from the nearest road, so getting traction on pavement is not an option.

Theres no way to get anything under the bus with out a lot of digging because the bus is resting on the frame. more than half of his rear tires were under the sand, the rear of his driveshaft is submerged, his fuel tank, trans pan & oil pan are all resting on the ground. There was sand up to the 2nd step inside the door & quite a bit of digging was needed to free the door enough so it can open & close again.

My bus was way worse in the sand than Jasons was, so using my bus is not an option. Becides I think its happy here in the RV park.

The hot tub was empied within a few minuts of the bus being stuck.

Low tide was at about 10pm tonight, I was out there till about 11:15pm & the bus hadn't moved an inch yet.

Jason dosent like the bulldozer idea because it would be even worse if we sank the bulldozer out there along with the bus.

I have some pics but I dont have anyway to get them from my digital camera to Jasons crappy laptop, so I will have to post them when I get home.... whenever that is....
Old 03-18-2006, 04:30 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Solid ground is the best place for your bus. You may be going home one bus short.

The bulldozer may be the only way out of this, or possibly a backhoe to dig it out. Or maybe a crane to pick it up.

Your going to have to dig out the frame and axle and make a path for the wheels to roll in and get it towed all during low tide. the high tide is going to fill it all back in. There's got to be a heavy duty beach wrecker service down there. Maybe someone who has converted an old Army duece and a half into a wrecker. Can you get the wrecker that broke his cable back out there?

Sel the bus as soon as you get back home.
Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:51 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: IHC
Engine: 9.0
Rated Cap: 76
the cat....

yo I used to drive a d-7 in us army and we bad em on the beach all the time I'd go for the cat or even a large tractor would proably work