Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Help With Exterior Door Frame And Hinges

I plan on welding my stock school bus door halves together and putting a lock on it so it acts like a regular door. However, I don't know the best way to go about building a door frame.

The door is 86 3/4" tall, 27" wide, and 1 1/4" thick. The door opening is 85 1/2" tall and 32 3/8" wide. That in mind, I will either have to widen the door or build a really funky door frame, and either way I will have to shorten the door some. The door originally butted up against the first step rather than fitting over a threshold like a normal door, which I would like to change, as I don't think that's the best way to keep water and bugs out.

Could I just build a frame for the door to butt up against and put a gasket on it, or should I try for a more traditional door frame? How much of a gap should there be between the door and the door frame to keep out water but prevent excessive scrubbing? Should I install the sub floor or door frame first?

The door is also pretty heavy, and I doubt regular hinges would be able to hold it. The hinges would also be exposed to the elements and may rust. What kind of hinges would be best for this?

Old 05-24-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
Bus Nut

The door is also pretty heavy, and I doubt regular hinges would be able to hold it. The hinges would also be exposed to the elements and may rust. What kind of hinges would be best for this?

Use the original hinges, that is if you use part or all of the original door.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
Use the original hinges, that is if you use part or all of the original door.
I would, but they are very poor when it comes to keeping the weather out. They just had strips of rubber screwed over them, which didn't do much to help.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Someone else converted their bus door to a regular door last year. I don't remember if they used other hinges or the original ones. I do remember they said there was a degree of difficulty and time involved. I'd also like to do the door conversion at some point.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
Almost There

Oh, also worth mentioning:
My doorway is not even remotely square. How am I supposed to get around that?
wendysdrivethrudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Custom
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: International straight six
Rated Cap: Unknown

i built this door using 3/4 plywood with 3/4 T&G beadplank i also used the original hinge to seal the door i used door molding nailed all the way aroumd with weather stripping which is compressed tight when the door is closed i got all the materials at local home depot only afterthought i would of changed is to add a window its hard making a left turn across four lanes of traffic only seeing out the front windshield
Cabinbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Custom
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: International straight six
Rated Cap: Unknown
i would reccomend tracing the doorway by mounting your door material to the bus going to the other side and marking it where you want it if you cant do this then you find center and measure each direction from center then transfer to your door material keeping in mind you want a nickel to fit in the gap all the way around your door for ease of opening and closing the weather sstripping will seal this gap
Cabinbus is offline   Reply With Quote