Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2019, 09:23 AM   #21

Year: 02
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International 30'
Engine: 7.6lt dt466e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleb36 View Post
I see some partially or totally finished skoolies for sale for between 30K-50K...

Please tell me your thoughts...Are these people crazy asking these prices for an old school bus with some interior work.....

I can't believe these buses are worth that type of money....I mean how much does it really cost to put some wood, a fridge, a stove, etc etc....in an old bus....

Am I crazy for thinking this people are out of their minds wanting this much for the buses?
Well I guess when you get a bus and put time the hours in I guess you'll find out! Besides all the tools you'll need, the materials aren't cheap, I've got thousands invested in my tools, luckily for me I'm all ready in the trades. I've got so many hours in my bus and it's still in the demo phase.

jassr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I paid $4500 for my school bus - and spent over $10K in materials / tools - If I was to sell, I would not worry about the labor put into it - since that was part of the fun of converting into a Skoolie - but I would likely sell for about $20K if I found someone willing to pay that. Heck - I'd sell it for $50K if someone was willing to pay that. I would build another Skoolie or Tiny Home.
Luckily, you can usually find converted or partially converted buses closer to what you are looking to pay. Some will sell for over $50K some for under $5K. Some are cheaply built and some are very well built. It's pretty much like houses.
Value is different to people. I don't judge people who will pay $50k for a converted bus - or $500K for a Phaeton RV. I just would rather spend a lot less - because I don't make nearly enough money to afford that.

That said - since Skoolies aren't factory produced or manufactured - value is all in the eye of the seller and the willing buyer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8507.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	628.2 KB
ID:	32526

That being said:
2000 International with 7.3L V8 Turbo diesel 210HP with Allison 2000 transmission. 330,000 miles.
Runs and drives like a bus.
$20,000 (dog not included).

Name:	eQILrqj+T6uVmmMlriXXIw.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	32527

Name:	fullsizeoutput_eed.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	32528

Name:	IMG_0480.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	32529
(just kidding - I'm not selling my home. I'd be homeless).
Old 04-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleb36 View Post
Oh dear! That looks like a blind person picked out the interior design. I have seen people use nothing but barn wood and trash and show a better looking interior. Honestly, what you are willing to pay for the work they have done. Obviously the seats are out. Have they done the engine work and the electrical. For me, the seats being out is a big deal, because I can't do that myself. Also the engine and electrical stuff. Decorating I can do. There is a lot of interior stuff that I would change on this one. To me, the bathroom is hideous, but I can fix that. I can paint and sew cushions and make curtains. What kind of insulation did they use if any. It depends on what all those things are worth to you and can you afford it?
VBanaszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:46 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBanaszak View Post
Oh dear! That looks like a blind person picked out the interior design. I have seen people use nothing but barn wood and trash and show a better looking interior. Honestly, what you are willing to pay for the work they have done. Obviously the seats are out. Have they done the engine work and the electrical. For me, the seats being out is a big deal, because I can't do that myself. Also the engine and electrical stuff. Decorating I can do. There is a lot of interior stuff that I would change on this one. To me, the bathroom is hideous, but I can fix that. I can paint and sew cushions and make curtains. What kind of insulation did they use if any. It depends on what all those things are worth to you and can you afford it?

Forget that, it looks like the ORIGINAL ceiling - which means there's no insulation up there. It doesn't even look like they washed, no less painted it...look at all the dirt by the seams. It's not I mind having a metal ceiling, or that all builds HAVE to be insulated - but when people don't do something like that, you start to wonder what OTHER things they didn't do that they really should have.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
Forget that, it looks like the ORIGINAL ceiling - which means there's no insulation up there. It doesn't even look like they washed, no less painted it...look at all the dirt by the seams. It's not I mind having a metal ceiling, or that all builds HAVE to be insulated - but when people don't do something like that, you start to wonder what OTHER things they didn't do that they really should have.
LOL I was too distracted by all the changes I would have to make and didn't even notice that.
VBanaszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:15 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post

I didn’t replace the insulation in the ceiling for my bus - and it has been fine. I checked it in spots - and it was very good for a 17 year old bus. The lower walls and floor were the only area that I found lacking in insulation. Well, the windows and door don’t help keep out the cold or heat...