Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Are you a hippie skoolie or a redneck skoolie?
hippie full timer 2 5.26%
hippie weekender 2 5.26%
redneck full timer 1 2.63%
redneck weekender 5 13.16%
none of the above 6 15.79%
a little bit of all 22 57.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Re: Hippie or redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC
R I have one child left in public school, and next year she too will be homeschooled.
Homeschoolers unite! YAY!

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Actually, a church/school, Bethel. My wife and I would like to go to a school they have there to further prepare us for missions, our eventual goal I also LOVE the area. I know it's a ways away, but I work in Lodi a lot and love it. Don't have much time for Socal, but I like most of Northern California. The Shasta area is a pretty perfect picture of what my wife and I love.

Where in TN? I also work just south of Nashville a lot.
Jake

30 miles east of Nashville. If you are ever in the area, PM me. We can meet and go to Cracker Barrel. Yum.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #23
Skoolie

Just ran across this... Figured it would fit nicely in this thread:

Redneck Recliner

travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

If we use those instead of lawn chairs..... do you think the politically correct anti-sitting-in-lawn-chairs-while-overnighting-in-a-Wal-Mart-parking-lot RVers would get upset?

I want to park the bus in a Wal-Mart parking lot, crank up the open frame contractor generator, fire up the little table top gas grill, throw a couple burgers on the grill, pour a beverage into a wide mouth quart sized canning jar, get out a couple of wheel barrows to sit in... and relax while we watch the "air show" (bats chasing bugs around the parking lot lights). We don't have an awning on the bus, so we can't open the awning up.

If we did that, do you think anyone would say anything to us?
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion

Jake

30 miles east of Nashville. If you are ever in the area, PM me. We can meet and go to Cracker Barrel. Yum.
Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Mel
Quote:
I have one child left in public school, and next year she too will be homeschooled.
Homeschoolers unite! YAY!
Haha...yup! I LOVE the flexibility it offers and the opportunities it opens up. We have let them all decide what they wanted to do, with one exception (my oldest hit a rough patch in 8th grade), and I am very happy they have now all decided to be homeschooled. We have even asked our oldest a couple times if she wants to try public again, and she looks at us like we are crazy. This fits us

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinwithus
Just ran across this... Figured it would fit nicely in this thread:

Redneck Recliner

That...is fairly awesome, lol

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Maybe make a cushion to fit in the wheel barrow to soften up the seat. Something with ruffles and lace?

What does a wheel barrow go for nowadays? I'm serious. This sounds like fun. Maybe I can design a folding chair that just LOOKS like a wheelbarrow from a distance. I gotta go find a pencil and some paper.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Something with ruffles and lace?
Gah, no ruffles and lace, please.

On the other hand; I double-dog dare ya to do it.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:35 AM   #28

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Definitely not hippie, just plain redneck. Wasn't born that way. I grew into it. The west coast kind, not the W. VA kind.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Re: Hippie or redneck . . . or Yankee?

I think I checked "A little bit of all" the other day. On the hippie side, I had listened to eclectic "underground radio" in high school when my classmates were listening to "Bubblegum" pop. My hair was long enough to get paged into the principal's office for inspection with the superintendent, but not quite long enough that I was told not to come back without a haircut. I did a little bit of couch surfing in college, but not much.

What I really think I am is part Yankee. No, not those nasty boys in blue who created so much trouble for Dixie almost two centuries ago, or the fat bankers who sent them there. All my ancestors were still living across the pond then. And no, not those clean-shaven millionaires wearing pinstripes and playing a children's game in the Bronx.

What I am talking about is the northern equivalent of an "Appalachian American." One who lives in an area where the two seasons are winter and August, or perhaps in gentler climates where the seasons are snow, mud, black fly, mosquito, and leaves. The kind of person who stubbornly keeps farming on soil whose only reliable crop is chunks of granite.

Why do I identify this way, you ask? Because one can usually find a pile of things out back of a Yankee's lair that in themselves don't work, but are recognized as having a few valuable parts that are not broken. Through "Yankee Ingenuity," salvaged parts can be used to resurrect a dying piece of apparatus, or combined to make a totally new and "interesting" one.

Like a Skoolie.

For example, I once bought a used Ford Festiva to commute in, after leaving a job that provided a company truck. The old Festiva made quite a noise whenever I pushed in the clutch to up-shift. It turns out the front motor mount was hanging in the air, because the front body beam that was supposed to be under the radiator had been rusted by road salt and was completely gone. More precisely, the front end of the front-to-rear engine carrier was lying on top of the torsion or anti-sway bar. When I accelerated, the engine lifted in the air, hinged from the firewall end mount. When I stepped on the clutch, it dropped back down with a "clunk."

An afternoon with a hacksaw and electric drill, plus some angle iron cut from a salvaged bed spring frame, and it was better than new. The bed frame angle iron bolted up between the remaining frame and the torsion bar mounts, and the front motor mount bolted nicely onto the bed spring frame, which was much stronger than the original old-style Korean steel. A fitting repair for a Yankee or a Redneck.

Being a radio guy, I have garages full of "dead radios" that might have good switches, knobs, LEDs, relays, or bits of colored wire that might be useful some day. I suppose I have a few mechanical treasures too, but not so much. Finding time to sort through the piles is getting harder and harder, but every time I pull a few parts out of a pile and solve a household problem, I am a hero.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Quote:
one can usually find a pile of things out back of a Yankee's lair that in themselves don't work, but are recognized as having a few valuable parts that are not broken.
I resemble that.

I am amazed at how much of that stuff is now going into the skoolie.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #31
Bus Geek

What we used to call "making do with what you got" is now called " recycled", "upcycling" and/or "repurposing".
Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
What we used to call "making do with what you got" is now called " recycled", "upcycling" and/or "repurposing".
Speacking of upcycling, did you submit a photo of your bus for the Home Depot Employees' "upcycling" contest?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus
Quote:
Speaking of upcycling, did you submit a photo of your bus for the Home Depot Employees' "upcycling" contest?
Nope. They think I'm pretty odd as it is. I don't need to confirm it. Besides, the bus isn't finished yet. No expose' until it's done.