Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
Bus Nut

History show about an old hippy bus

Barry Wand <b_j_wand@...> Date: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:02 pm Subject: The Merry Pranksters' bus
Mark your calendars. The History Channel will be airing an episode of'History's Lost & Found' that will feature 'The Merry Pranksters' bus'on Sunday, April 9. For me they say it will air at 5AM, but you need tocheck your listing for local times.Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia about The Merry Pranksters:"The Merry Pranksters were a circle of people who collected aroundAmerican novelist Ken Kesey and Beat literature figurehead Neal Cassady,as well as main cohort Ken Babbs.They are remembered chiefly for travelling across the United States in apsychedelic painted school bus enigmatically labelled "Furthur." Theoriginal purpose of the bus trip was to visit the World's Fair in NewYork City which took place in 1964. The Pranksters were heavy users ofmarijuana and LSD, and in the process of their journey they are said tohave "turned on" many people whom they introduced to these drugs.<snip>The Pranksters' travels continued until 1969, when the bus (withoutKesey) made it to the Woodstock rock festival. The original Pranksterbus was returned to Kesey's rural home in Oregon. The SmithsonianInstitution sought to acquire the bus, which is no longer operable, butKesey refused to give or sell it to them. In true form, Kesey attemptedto prank the venerable Smithsonian by passing off a phony bus. Theydidn't fall for it."For those who don't recognize the name 'Ken Kesey', he wrote 'One FlewOver The Cuckoo's Nest'. Oh! THAT Ken Kesey!Barry

frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

From what I understand, "Further" was pulled out of the swamp behind Kesey's place in Oregon late last year. Ken's son and some of the surviving Pranksters are raising funds to restore it, a true piece of Hippie Era Americana.
Kesey's inspired trek with the Merry Pranksters to hook up with the "Tune in, turn on, drop out" guru, Timothy Leary at his institute in Upstate New York was meant as a symbolic link up the West Coast and East Coast factions of the Counter Culture, Hippie community.
Kesey's troupe was a little disappointed when they were not welcomed as enthusicastically as they had expected they might be. In an era before cell phones, they failed to notify Leary of their intended arrival date. When they finally made it there, they found Leary and company recovering from a wicked all-night acid trip and in no shape to entertain, much less welcome, unexpected visitors. Undaunted, the Merry Pranksters continued on, ever seeking to go "further" and weeks later found themselves back on the West Coast after blazing a psychedelic trail across America.
1993 Amtran (Ward) 77 Passenger body on an International frame. DT360, Allison 545 AT. The avatar is my first skoolie, "The Rocket" may it Rust In Peace. Follow the links at the bottom to see the horrible details at https://www.gentlekharma.com
Be Amazing
Zen Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I would have loved to be a part of restoring that bus. It always made me sad to see the pictures of it out the woods growing moss.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Yep here's the article on that

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10792061/from/RL.5/

I went to the library today & got "The Electric kool-aid acid test" which is supposed to be about that bus. I'm not a hippy but I figured its about a bus it must be cool. I'm going to try to read it but no guarantees.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Quote:
“People think of a bus as transportation,” Zane Kesey says. “No. It’s a platform, a way to get your messages across.”
Isn't that the way we see our buses, a platform to express ourselves.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:31 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I wasn't really a fan of the 'electric koolaid acid test' <-- I just assumed it was mandatory reading for anyone driving around in a rainbow colored bus.... but I found it to be a bit it to be too disjointed/acid inspired for
wonderkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

ps. that being said I think it was a BEAUTIFUL bus..... and I have been looking for a poster of it with a photograph of it and the quote 'the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began' (sort of like the stickers they sell on the kesey website) for years.

(I have also been looking for a poster of the electric mayhem bus from the muppets for years..... but I digress )
wonderkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #8
Skoolie

acid test

i must be getting old, but i dont see a whole lot of raibow colored buses no more. every body asked me if i was going to paint my 64 international / wayne 20 foot bus like a hippie bus. instead i did a little glow in the dark stars and moons stick ons on the inside cielling. although i enjoy seeing a old hippie bus going down the road, i personally didnt want mine like that. to much hassel from the cops. :P
westport_wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:50 AM   #9
Skoolie

magic bus web site

hey wonderkaty, go to http://www.key-z.com for all magic bus stuff
westport_wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by westport_wayne View Post
i must be getting old, but i dont see a whole lot of raibow colored buses no more. every body asked me if i was going to paint my 64 international / wayne 20 foot bus like a hippie bus. instead i did a little glow in the dark stars and moons stick ons on the inside cielling. although i enjoy seeing a old hippie bus going down the road, i personally didnt want mine like that. to much hassel from the cops. :P
See, I want to do exactly that, paint my bus exterior in a Galaxy/Stars/Glow in the Dark kind of thing. But I don't wanna get heck just for doing it. I don't see why you would get heckled by the cops just because of a creative paint job on your vehicle. One guy in here posted a picture of his bus with a sort of desert and sky mural on the side.

Ok so lemme propose this: what about a normal looking paint job on the outside by day, but by night the glow in the dark stuff shows up and it looks super cool?
DreamWeaverBus is offline   Reply With Quote