Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2016, 10:54 PM   #1
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,360
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Home defense Mossberg shotgun

Just realized my home defense shotgun may be illegal to transport loaded on my bus....

But what about when I'm stopped & set up?
It is still my home to defend!

I can empty it during travel, but once nightfall comes and I shut her down for the night... I gotta sleep with my sweetie.


What does everyone else do?
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:11 AM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,462
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
As long as the barrel is more than 18" it should be legal anywhere as far as I know.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:13 AM   #3
Skoolie
 
T-Bolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 186
Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
That is a class 3 firearm (NFA). It is regulated by the ATF-NFA branch just like a suppressor or machine gun. Some states (i.e. Indiana) they are completely illegal. Do some serious research before doing anything with it. The ATF is not forgiving.

*Knowledge from many years holding a Federal Firearms License and owning a retail store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
T-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:33 AM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,360
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
It's cut at 18.5", and documented with police department.

My issue is traveling with any home defense shotgun.

Technically, once I'm not traveling... The motorhome becomes my home again. So, I'll unload it for travel only.

I'll typically stay within my home state.
__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:58 AM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,596
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I haven't researched it with buses yet, but as a professional truck driver, it basically works like this: Anything in the sleeper (with curtains closed) is off limits without a search warrant. Cops may conduct "inspections" of the cab, controls, warning lights, etc ... all the typical D.O.T. stuff. Court rulings have determined the sleeper area is (paraphrasing) "an extension of one's home, and subject to the same privacy rules as one's home". I expect similar rules apply in RV's and our converted buses.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:21 AM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,360
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I haven't researched it with buses yet, but as a professional truck driver, it basically works like this: Anything in the sleeper (with curtains closed) is off limits without a search warrant. Cops may conduct "inspections" of the cab, controls, warning lights, etc ... all the typical D.O.T. stuff. Court rulings have determined the sleeper area is (paraphrasing) "an extension of one's home, and subject to the same privacy rules as one's home". I expect similar rules apply in RV's and our converted buses.

Makes sense, treated pretty much the same way as my buddy's heavy equipment service truck or my limousine.... It's still technically our "place of business" although it's mobile.

Was just wondering how everyone treats their weapons in their "mobile houses"

While I'm on the subject.... Something I don't really adhere to is when a private business bans concealed carry. They cannot guarantee my safety, and my carry weapon will not show a print, so they will never know I'm carrying.

I understand I cannot even guarantee my own safety by carrying... But, I refuse to be a soft target.
I will adhere to laws governing federal & state buildings.

I know... It's a slippery slope... But I'd rather be cited a violation , and fight my rights in court.
__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:05 AM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Garden State (rural NJ)
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Makes sense, treated pretty much the same way as my buddy's heavy equipment service truck or my limousine.... It's still technically our "place of business" although it's mobile.

Was just wondering how everyone treats their weapons in their "mobile houses"

While I'm on the subject.... Something I don't really adhere to is when a private business bans concealed carry. They cannot guarantee my safety, and my carry weapon will not show a print, so they will never know I'm carrying.

I understand I cannot even guarantee my own safety by carrying... But, I refuse to be a soft target.
I will adhere to laws governing federal & state buildings.

I know... It's a slippery slope... But I'd rather be cited a violation , and fight my rights in court.
18.5" should be fine in all 50 states but do your homework. If you have a CC permit in OK, some other states will honor it. Again, do your homework. Check your mag capacities. Some states have set limits lower than others. If you follow the local laws, wherever you are, you'll be fine. The onus is on you to know what the local laws are.

Good luck!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:47 AM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I haven't researched it with buses yet, but as a professional truck driver, it basically works like this: Anything in the sleeper (with curtains closed) is off limits without a search warrant. Cops may conduct "inspections" of the cab, controls, warning lights, etc ... all the typical D.O.T. stuff. Court rulings have determined the sleeper area is (paraphrasing) "an extension of one's home, and subject to the same privacy rules as one's home". I expect similar rules apply in RV's and our converted buses.
Agreed. Another aspect of transport and peaceful passage laws is that while you may not be licensed to carry on your person, transporting in a given state is still supposed to be respected. The specifics vary by state but basically the weapon is unloaded and not accessible from the driving compartment. For a skoolie that's usually anything forward of the standee line.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #9
Bus Nut
 
Dapplecreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: near Christiansburg VA
Posts: 692
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...s=945j404561j4

Handgunlaw.us
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 861
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
It also has to be at least 26 inches in overall length, just keep it unloaded in a locked gun case while driving and stay out of new jersey
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #11
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,360
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Thanks guys!
I know I'm within legal limits physically.
Gunsmith modified with detailed receipt of mods.
__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,341
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
It also has to be at least 26 inches in overall length, just keep it unloaded in a locked gun case while driving and stay out of new jersey
I cannot speak to the 26" requirement but the advice to keep it unloaded and locked in a case while traveling down the road is excellent advice.

I have traveled in my RV with guns to 40+ states and done plenty of research so as to avoid going to jail....

My best understanding is that, while you are driving down the highway, will view your RV as a motor vehicle and treat it as such. When you park and step out of the drivers seat it becomes your domicile.

It may be that the living area SHOULD always be treated as your home but my personal experience has been otherwise.

And by all means, when you stop for the night, unlock the case and load the gun.... (provided it is allowed locally) Most would be assailants won't give you a three minute head start to find the keys and load your gun....

Just my $0.02 (Sorry no refunds)
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #13
Bus Nut
 
Dapplecreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: near Christiansburg VA
Posts: 692
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
...and stay out of new jersey
And going through NJ (and maybe San Francisco?), use up your hollow points for practice before going.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #14
Bus Crazy
 
Stu & Filo. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vacaville, Ca
Posts: 1,623
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Makes sense, treated pretty much the same way as my buddy's heavy equipment service truck or my limousine.... It's still technically our "place of business" although it's mobile.

Was just wondering how everyone treats their weapons in their "mobile houses"

While I'm on the subject.... Something I don't really adhere to is when a private business bans concealed carry. They cannot guarantee my safety, and my carry weapon will not show a print, so they will never know I'm carrying.

I understand I cannot even guarantee my own safety by carrying... But, I refuse to be a soft target.
I will adhere to laws governing federal & state buildings.

I know... It's a slippery slope... But I'd rather be cited a violation , and fight my rights in court.
I read back on July 5, Tennessee passed a law that as a business if a person who has a ccw is disarmed to come into your business & is injured or killed because they had to disarm to come in then you the business owner will be held liable.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #15
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,360
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
I read back on July 5, Tennessee passed a law that as a business if a person who has a ccw is disarmed to come into your business & is injured or killed because they had to disarm to come in then you the business owner will be held liable.

As well it should be
__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:58 PM   #16
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NUNYA
Posts: 4,233
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Some states are a nightmare when it comes to gun laws and some states are like heaven. California is really bad and getting worse all the time. 50 states is like 50 counties plus don't forget Uncle Sam. That's where the 26 inch overall length comes in. If you have a semi-auto shotgun, it must be a minimum of 30 inches in California.

The last place you should relying on for gun laws is a school bus site...at least if you are trying to stay out of jail. I think the main thing is that a shotgun is legal in all 50 states...as far as I know.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:48 PM   #17
Bus Nut
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 847
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
The last place you should relying on for gun laws is a school bus site...
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:35 AM   #18
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,814
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Some states are a nightmare when it comes to gun laws and some states are like heaven. California is really bad and getting worse all the time. 50 states is like 50 counties plus don't forget Uncle Sam. That's where the 26 inch overall length comes in. If you have a semi-auto shotgun, it must be a minimum of 30 inches in California.

The last place you should relying on for gun laws is a school bus site...at least if you are trying to stay out of jail. I think the main thing is that a shotgun is legal in all 50 states...as far as I know.
I've been posting on the firing line forum for years.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/index.php
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×