Old 08-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
Site Team
Re: Horrible RV crash in Phoenix

I think it was a combo of two things. Out of round and balance left front tire due to bad alignment, worn front end parts. That combined with a 545 tranny not liking the hills. The problem was me misdiagnosing what was happening. I guess anything can happen when your brain is frying like overcooked scrambled eggs in the heat. When I was climbing the hills, I was going about 45 mph. Well, that turns out to be the sweet spot for the vibration from the tire. Plus the tranny was working overtime and getting hot on those long climbs. All of it together made me think I had one cylinder not firing properly. So my scrambled brain thought it would be a good idea to buy one of those laser thermometers. That just compounded the paranoia. Cylinder temps varied by 90*. Anyways, after I got in touch with a fuel injection guy back home that assured my that I was OK, I hit the road again.

I did stop in Mojave and have my front wheels balanced. That's when I found out how bad the left one was. I shouldn't have been babying the bus on the trip. It drives like a dream at 60 mph. I was just trying to conserve fuel.

So that's how you turn a short story into a long one.

To answer question about cost to fix. The king pins will run about $850 plus tax. The shocks cost $144 plus install for the fronts. Other front end parts will probably cost a few hundred plus install. Two new steers will cost about $700 for Chinese to maybe $1200 for better quality tires.
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Spend the money and get the better tires, Leave the Chinese tires for the Chinese......
We need you around here for awhile longer....
Roll - On...
GreyEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:34 AM   #13
Almost There
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA 360, Fuller 6-speed
Rated Cap: 53

RVs are rubbish. It's an unregulated industry. They put a little plaque on them saying they meet such and such standards, but it's their own standards.

I had a Winnebago and when I got kids and started thinking about traveling in it with them, and started pulling back things and digging into things--I realized I had a 24' Styrofoam cooler. I got rid of it immediately.

A real schoolbus is strong. It's really strong.
My bus conversion
Will is offline   Reply With Quote