Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #21

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Ford E-350
Engine: 351W EFI Ford1
Re: How do YOU drive this thing?

Quote:
Twas terrifying to say the least at 40mph.
It should be terrifying. The speed LIMIT is 25mph! The lanes are nine feet, most buses (and trucks) are 8 feet, plus mirrors.

The grating causes some tires/vehicles to "squirm" around, and be hard ro steer accurately. The 18 wheeler I used to drive over it 6-8 times a day was one of those vehicles.

Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

My scariest time to date was driving in the Twin Cities in rush hour traffic after the collapse of the 35-W bridge. The highways were all rerouted on top of the construction. Lanes and the shoulders were narrowed to add another lane for traffic to flow. The lanes were all of 9 feet wide which gives you NO breathing room. On top of that the speed limit is 70 or 75 and people with little Audis and such have no respect for you. I can't accelerate or stop as well as those little cars. Heck, I couldn't even see them half the time. Thank god for truckers, bus drivers, and a few responsible drivers that would give you a courtesy flash of the lights or run blocker for you...
Old 05-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

It should be terrifying. The speed LIMIT is 25mph!

Yeah and the speed limit is 65 to 75 in most places and yeah thats what everyone drives.........huh! I was going way slower than all the other vehicles and "truck drivers"! Either way the point was that that bridge should be avoided by anyone that doesn't "NEED" to drive it like multiple times in a day. The speed limit was not 25 either! RECYCLER
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote