Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: How many converters plan on full-timing or part-timing in their conversion?
Planning on full-timing in the near future 5 13.51%
Planning on Part-timing (6+ mo yearly) 2 5.41%
Already full-timing 7 18.92%
Already Part-timing 0 0%
Will never full-time 3 8.11%
"Weekenders" only 1 2.70%
Extended touring/travel 8 21.62%
Would you like to see more info on living full-time in a bus? 6 16.22%
Would you like to see more info on working on the road? 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
How many fulltimers are out there???

How many of you plan on living full-time or just part of the year in your bus? Are you already doing it? Would any of you like to see more info on living full-time and working "on the road"? Working on the road would encompass staying in one spot "long-term" for several days to several months. Would you like to see postings about jobs geared to RVers or asking for RVers? Seasonal jobs are often set up several months in advance... like pumpkin patches, Christmas tree lots and/or Christmas light hanging. And then there's Amazon!!! What about longer term jobs like Southern Cross or the gate guards?

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: How many fulltimers are out there???

Hmmmm . . Nothing between weekends only and 6+ months on the road per year? I would check Touring/extended travel if there was such a box.
EDIT: Now that it's been added, I voted!

What I've learned from my relatives and their SKP friends, is that the first months of full-timing for most people appears to be "vacation mode," keeping the wheels rolling in an attempt to see everything. They have the little colored maps filled in for all the states that they have passed through or slept in. After a couple of years, they fall into the routine you mentioned of winters in Florida/the Southwest/the Rio Grande Valley, and summers in xxxxxx.

After retiring, if the United States economy hasn't collapsed by then, it would be nice to do some extended traveling in "vacation mode" to experience the differences found in each region. Then, instead of full-timing, maybe turning around and returning to a permanent location.

I've got years left before that. We'll see . . . .
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

I've been living in vehicles for many decades. Low overhead allows me to do things that most people cannot. Here is a pic of the front half of my bus.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
Hmmmm . . Nothing between weekends only and 6+ months on the road per year? I would check Touring/extended travel if there was such a box...
There is now! I've never did a poll before.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

well ive been fulltiming over a year now but in the 40ft TT i bought. the bus sadly has been fixed nearly all the way for mechanical stuff.. its just getting a floor plan that works with leaving a set of seats in that is the problem. I want it to be more of a road tripper vehicle more then an RV i guess..

I DO however still plan to make the bus being fully able to tow that 12k lbs trailer for when I do decide to get the heck out of dodge and move on..
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

Quote:
I've never did a poll before.
Never responded to one 'til now - doubled the number of full-timers!

Took a little futzin' around to get this to work, haven't posted a picture in a while.
Home Sweet Home

I guess I'm a fulltimer, but probably not in the sense that 'regular' RVers use the term. I own the property I'm normally parked on and breeze off on trips when the urge strikes. It's off-grid, but the city airport, about two miles away, has a 'boutique' RV park (6 spots and never more than two filled at any time) that has a dump station. About once a week I head over and fill the water tank and dump the waste tank for $2.00 - 1 line, no waiting. Ace Hardware the other way for the weekly $15 propane fill up.

I'm probably about as far from half million dollar rolling McMansions lumbering from one concrete pad with full hookups and 50 amp electrical service to another as you can get. Seems like most on this board are as well.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

Thanks John. I put some pictures up on the conversion projects thing, the rolling motel room.
I ran outta camera batteries so I'll put some more up after a run to town.
Visitors always welcome ...

Tom
Old 11-25-2011, 05:43 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

Lorna. I think I have not seen the interior of your class C. I lived in a Dodge 27 footer for three years.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
Lorna. I think I have not seen the interior of your class C. I lived in a Dodge 27 footer for three years.
I have not taken any pics of the interior. Just of an item or two. And it's no longer my Class C!

We moved into the Class C in 2006. In 2009 we moved out west. On the almost 2 week trip out here, my daughter talked my husband into giving her the Class C when we moved into the bus. Since then it's been "her" Class C. She sleeps in the cabover bunk and we sleep in the rear bed. It's a tight fit for 3 adults to live in a 22 ft (19 ft behind the cab) Class C and virtually no privacy. Good thing she works a lot! She wants a skoolie that is a tad longer than the Class C. First, she has to spend a little time in the smaller space by herself with all her stuff to get an idea of what size she needs/wants. Her biggest complaint about full-timing in a small RV is book space (I have a similar problem... or addiction). But ebooks are really doing well and becoming more plentiful so that may becomes a non-issue in the very near future. Oddly enough, her Japanese Anime is not widely distributed in electronic form. I've told her that she needs to get a scanner and make her own ebooks from the paper ones. Like me, she has a hard time deliberately destroying a book even if it will "save" that book. Other than the book space issue, she loves living in RV parks and meeting the various people. She likes that if she wants, she can change her "front yard" simply by moving her "house". Like us, she wants to move back east. She has been looking at places to transfer to. She plans on transferring to another Family Dollar, someplace, as an assistant manager. It seems that you need to work at Family Dollar for only 1 year before you are eligible to be trained as management. And they are a company that will happily transfer their employees to another store, even cashiers. The pay isn't all that great. Plenty of other places to beat it, but she has learned to have no debt and can easily live on the pay plus tuck some back in her savings accounts. While her twin tends to be more of a homebody (she boomerangs on short trips in hotels and always needs to come home), Stacey had inherited the wanderlust that is so prevalent in my family. After about a year or so someplace... it time to go and we are all past due for leaving!
Old 11-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E

I dont think that we would full time, but will take a couple months in the summer and travell. till i can retire. hopefully in 5 years form now, (ill be 55) we would like to spend the winters somewhere warm for about 4-5 months, then back here to canada for the summer, some thing to look foward to.

gbstewart
Old 11-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Hoping to "retire" this year and join the Extended Touring crowd..."See the USA in my Chevrol...err...Bus"
Old 11-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
Almost There

Year: 1977
Chassis: International Harvester

The wife and I are talking about part-timing once we get the kids out of the house. The bus now is just for weekend/summer trips since the kids are still in school. Once the kids are on their own then we plan to buy a small piece of land. Put up a shed to house the utilities and whatever overflow of stuff we have. We want the setup so that we have a home base but can easily leave whenever we get the urge.
RavensOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

I have been fulltiming for just over 5 years (minus 10 months when I was fulltiming on my motorcycle... )

I think a lot of the fulltiming lifestyle/logistical/how-to/income questions are addressed on forums like Escapees and various work-from-home and freelance forums, but it could be fun to have a subforum here where people can ask those questions or post their bright ideas.