Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Hey DWB,

If you're ever by Houston in the next year or so I can teach you everything you need to know about driving a bus safely. I taught my ex from Cali, Colombia how to drive my '94 International 9600 with a 72 inch condo on the back how to safely drive, sight-side back, blind-side back, and straight-line back that semi with a 53' trailer fully extended and fully retracted rear tandems. It was the FIRST vehicle she EVER drove. She was 35 at the time, never been behind a steering wheel. She later told me though she was terrified, the way I explained everything completely put her at ease and knew I'd always explain things before ever moving.

I'd be happy to help you in the way that works best for you. I have a Masters in Education, and LOVE to teach. With 2.5 million miles of safe driving I'm sure I can help you with any concern you may have.

My two cents,

M

Old 07-31-2017, 11:21 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Well, h*ll! That's really nice of you!

I've spent a few years behind the wheel of flat-nosed 1st gen Ford Econolines and Dodge A-100's, and I'm not particularly nervous about driving whatever I end up with. But I'd be happy to grab whatever expertise might be available. So if we ever cross paths, expect me to bribe you with your drug of choice (beer, bbq, single malt, whatever) for some lessons.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:01 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Well, h*ll! That's really nice of you!
There are a fair number of decent buses coming out of TX. Just gotta find one that the exporters haven't seen.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:10 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
grab a rand mcnally truck atlas as it will show staa approved truck routes, low bridges and overpasses (you hit it you buy it)and weight restricted state and federal highways. (do not cross a 5 ton bridge with any bus)find a person that drives for your local school as they will be better info than us here and i agree some here are snotty
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:14 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
also try to buy directly from a school so you get service records, manuals and a better price. Last month i got a 71 passenger 1998 bluebird 112,000 miles, cat engine 4 wheel disk brakes for 3 grand im really happy as i been in the market for a year
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:41 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
(do not cross a 5 ton bridge with any bus
I did that with a 10 ton bus and didn't fall in the water.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:14 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
grab a rand mcnally truck atlas as it will show staa approved truck routes, low bridges and overpasses (you hit it you buy it)and weight restricted state and federal highways. (do not cross a 5 ton bridge with any bus)find a person that drives for your local school as they will be better info than us here and i agree some here are snotty
would like to tell school dist to not have bus cross home made bridge...drove over one rickety one of those for yrs... but i guess if the tractor can, a bus can. lol
Old 07-31-2017, 07:25 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojiewoojie View Post
You mentioned how much you like the visibility out of your van. Well, a school bus has even more visibility.

Once you've had a few hours behind a flat nose bus it will seem easier to drive than a car. Dog nose not so much.

And right turns on a flat nose aren't that much more difficult than a car. Don't swing wide, just pull out a little farther.

Seriously, after 50 ~ 100 hours of driving experience you'll start to realize you can drive it in almost the same spaces as a car.

Adding a cheap back up camera would give you a little peace of mind I'm sure.
I figured a bus would have more visibility, but I plan on taking out about half of the windows, and when it comes to rear viewing, I wasn't sure I would actually be able to use the rear mirror to see all the way through to the back of my bus, especially since I plan on putting my bed are there. Do you have better visibility despite all that?

Interesting you say a FLAT NOSE bus is easier to drive than a DOG NOSE bus...

50-100 hours of driving? I think I can hang on that long to build experience.. Especially since I'm lucky enough to have largely empty country roads to practice on.

I'll definitely have the sense to stay out of tight spaces, if I want fast food I'll park and walk over lol

M1031A1 I appreciate your offer! But by the time I drove to TX I'd probably be leaving ameteur-ville behind in Southern Illinois! Thank you!

mmoore6856 a Trucker atlas is a great idea! I just found it online, I'll grab one sometime!
DreamWeaverBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:39 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I ran over a bush and a few curbs lol
One thing i love is that no one bullies from behind.
I see 'em back there tailgating and mad because i am going slower and i just giggle.
They may go around if they dont like it but they can get as mad as they like and still not bully a bus out of the way.

In intersections i find people are quite polite and accomodating if i need more room.
Love that Southern hospitality

The kid in me is so happy driving the bus, i have been looking for a shorter one as a daily driver.

Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:47 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 71
I reckon I'll really enjoy laughing at people who wanna bully me but can't. I'll really enjoy not being bullied on the road. As for hospitality, I'm in Southern Illinois and lots of people around here drive like jerks, tailgating with brights on, never using turn signals, speeding and getting away with it, ugh. I don't count on manners but at least I'll be one of the biggest drivers on the road!
DreamWeaverBus is offline   Reply With Quote