Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC000E View Post
Ahhh yes, I see those Dayton styles on older buses. I've generally had them on an "avoid" list. Many "what bus to buy" type of online articles advise to stay away from that kind of rim...I just kind of took their word for it...lol.

So, my bus definitely doesn't have those.
Daytons are many folks first choice of wheel.
Maybe you're thinking of the old split rims.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:46 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
its amazing how forgiving size-wise commercial vehicles are... when I got new tires i wanted to go up to 11R22.5's from the 10R22.5's my bus originally had.. for one my choice of tires grew by 5X!.. I was concerned the tandems might be too close together or the tires might "balloon" on the rims.. but after the tire change.. theres no difference in either... I did go from a Load range F to an H just because thats what tire I chose has..

its also interesting all the different sizes of wheels / tires that school busses had over the years and through the brands..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:34 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Daytons are many folks first choice of wheel.
Maybe you're thinking of the old split rims.
Yes, many old 20" (and other size wheels, both Dayton and otherwise) were of a so-called "split rim" design. Basically the rim has a lock ring that is pried off, enabling (relatively) easy removal of the tire. The ring serves as the flange holding the inflated tire on. If it's not seated properly or a mis-matched ring (there were 2 types, the details of which I forget), when inflating the tire, the ring can pop loose with tremendous force. They did not call these rims "Widowmakers" for nothing, countless tire techs, drivers and shade-tree mechanics have been injured or killed this way, and it is perhaps the main reason they have widely fallen from use.

Not all 20" rims are of the split rim design, the ones that aren't, the tire is mounted and dismounted much like their tubeless cousins.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #24
Skoolie

Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E450 #Vanlife
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I actually Love the dayton rims.. if you bang up a Rim they are cheapo and everywhere...

if you get a flat on a steer... one man CAN handle a dayton rim to make a swap of a tandem to the steer axle to limp you to a safe place without a truckdown service..

you can also carry a spare with daytons..

the ones that are on most people;s Avoid List are the old split rim daytons or the tab rim datytons which both used inner-tubes.. thos have been gone out of production since the early 80s and were required removed from semi trucks by I think it was 88 or 90.. but Dayton rims are mainly on older busses.. Budd's are common on a lot of busses in this forum (I have dayton's) and on all new stuff its hub-pilot style rims..

does your bus have full air ride suspsension ? if so flattening the air bag suspension is usually good for 3-6" depending on the bag setup.. mine is rear only but I tried letting al lthe air out of mine as an experiment for you and I Lost about 4-5" of height off my rear... I dont have front air suspension but I could easily see getting 4-5" by letting Most of the air outr of the steers.. mine are 11R22.5 fronts so a pretty tall tire...

-Christopher

Been out of town, so this thread moved along...so I'll try to respond through.

My bus has rear air, front leaf spring. It's going to come down to getting it here and actually seeing how much of a difference we're talking about. I'm looking at picking it up either late this week, or early next. Going to be interesting...lol.

I was definitely confused about the "split rim" and just assumed all those dayton appearing wheels were the split rim type. I see there is a difference though, reading through.
RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #25
Skoolie

Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E450 #Vanlife
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
It sounds like have have some weld/fab capabilities so make some wheel dollies that fit your hubs with out rims and use a winch or chain hoist to pull it in.
They make steel casters all day long that won't bend buckle or bow under the weight?
If you have a drop (like concrete to gravel) that would catch the casters going in then use some good lumber to make a smooth transition even if it is all the way back to the rear? With rear air bags maybe the front is your only problem?
If you are able pics of the garage entrance and of the door inside and out would help?
I have helped move equipment heavier than (because it wasnt built before the roof wenton ) with steel pipe, pinch bars and all kinds of old Egyptian style.
Yes 10'4" is 10'4" but if you are driving in on grade then 10'4" could be 11' or more 10'4 is only 10'4 if the entire bus is level and most unloaded are not.
You might know this and you might not.
You're also pointing out the issue I've been anticipating as well. Due to the length of the bus, and with a grade, there may be a time that between the axles, due to the grade, the bus might hit 11 ft. The grade is slight, but it's there.

The dolly idea is definitely possible and no issue to make but would come with some complexity on and off, then moving the bus around. My concrete is in great shape and they are high psi engineered slabs so..no issue.
RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Yes, many old 20" (and other size wheels, both Dayton and otherwise) were of a so-called "split rim" design. Basically the rim has a lock ring that is pried off, enabling (relatively) easy removal of the tire. The ring serves as the flange holding the inflated tire on. If it's not seated properly or a mis-matched ring (there were 2 types, the details of which I forget), when inflating the tire, the ring can pop loose with tremendous force. They did not call these rims "Widowmakers" for nothing, countless tire techs, drivers and shade-tree mechanics have been injured or killed this way, and it is perhaps the main reason they have widely fallen from use.
So this is the origin of the "inflation cages" that I've seen in truck shops? And you don't need them with the newer common Budd or Dayton wheels? I'd been wondering how to break that news to SWMBO; maybe I don't have to.

In other news: I've got the project green-lighted by both my wife and my money guy! I'm now in hard negotiations with the owner of the prison bus.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I have been told all split rim and clip style were ordered off the road by the mid - late 80s.. not just cease to manufacture but not even allowed on the road.. sicne these busses were made and had DOT stickers after that time.. id think none of them have split rims..

my bus has daytons but hand;es easily standard 11R22.5 tires... it came with 10R22.5 tires and i replaced all 6 with the larger so i could let my RPMs down just a bit on the highway and also had a MUCH lager selection of tires to choose from.. I have no clearance issues on my carpenter whatsoever.. even when the air suspension is flat over night it still has plenty of clearance on the 11R22.5's

Most mom and pop shops with old-timers working knw how to mount and align dayton rims.. new kids may very well not know how and you end up with wobble...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote