Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Ford B-series AmTran
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L
Rated Cap: 65
How, were, can I install a cigarette lighter outlet?

Awlright all, I have a 96 ford b series amtran with a 5.9l 12 v cummins. I want to install a 12v cigarette plug to run an inverter off of. I'm using the bus for a moving vehicle at this time, and want to have power for a little flatscreen, and phone chargers and the like for the kids. I'm just looking for a simple solution, Anyone have any suggestions or alternative methods? I tried several times to hook up the lighter, but cant find a wire. can I go right off the battery? do I need a fuse installed? HOW DO I DO THIS? lol sorry, very frustrated.
Anybody?

headin2MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: How, were,

Making a connection for 12 volts is the best connecting to the battery. Ya gotta have a fuse on the new power line. Running a ground wire connected to the battery would make for a great power source. Use at least #12 wires with a 30 amp fuse/breaker. Ya can get it all at auto zone for cheap. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: How, were, can I install a cigarette lighter outlet?

We have always run them off the "hot" wire and grounded to the chassis. I would suggest you might want to consider sticking a fuse between the cig lighter and the "hot" wire. You can wire direct to the battery. Keep an eye on it. Those things are a little dangerous. They can over heat and cause damage. Why can't you either wire the inverter direct OR use an "odd" plug and matching receptacle? That is what many solar outfits recommend for 12vDC appliances. You can use a plug from the hardware store like a 20 or 30 amp with an odd plug configuration so that you can't accidentally plug a regular plug into it. That means you change out all the plugs on your stuff. Which is why most folks stick with the cig lighter type thingys.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Ford B-series AmTran
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L
Rated Cap: 65

Alleycat, sorry, I've been on and offshore for the last month, COULD you post pictures?
headin2MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #5

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

See what I did. Scroll down through the pics and you will see.

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtop...12674&start=75

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

My bus is old, I don't have a panel anything like his. I ran a hot wire about the size of a battery cable through the firewall to a solenoid located on the wall, on the right side near the door. I used it to power anything I want inside the bus. The solenoid looks like what's on an old ford, I just wired a toggle switch to it by the door so I can turn the power on and off, free of the keyswitch.

I got it at a place that rebuilds generators, alternators and about everything electrical outside of the house. Told the guy what I wanted to do and he set me up with this. I have the stereo, water pump, interior fan, cigerette lighter, etc, to it.
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

never run an inverter off of a cig lighter unless it is a tinsy tinsy one... inverters require large cables to the battery at the shortest distance possible not only to make it run correctly but for safety...
Old 07-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #8

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
never run an inverter off of a cig lighter unless it is a tinsy tinsy one... inverters require large cables to the battery at the shortest distance possible not only to make it run correctly but for safety...
That's true but the one I put in is for charging my cell phone, iPad and powering my gps. It comes off of a factory panel through a 10 amp fuse. My big inverter will come off it's own battery bank.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote