Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2004, 01:19 PM   #1

i bought a bus...now what?

Hi everyone!

My friend and I just purchased a short bus for our cross country trip this summer. We plan to pick up the bus tomorrow, but we realize that we need to get insurance before picking it up. We are graduating from college next month and are very unaware of the process behind insuring vehicles. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips about how to get the vehicle registered and insured? We would appreciate any help and are just looking for a basic "step by step" outline of how to get our bus insured and all that. We can't wait to start working on the conversion of this bus into our summer home!

Thanks!

Abby

abbs681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:51 PM   #2

Thanks for the information, Kevin.

The main problem that we are having with the insurance issue is that neither my friend nor myself have any type of auto insurance as we don't own cars ourselves. We are both insured to drive cars that our parents own, but we do not have any policies under our own names. Therefore, we are going to have to open a new policy, either under my friend's name or my name. Do you think this is going to create a problem?

Also, about how much do any of you pay for insurance?

Abby
abbs681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 11:24 PM   #3
Bus Geek

call GMAC insurance. Yes, they sell insurance. Tell them you have a bus and plan to convert it to a motorhome. I live in michigan, and have not yet titled my bus (after a year and a half) as a motor home. It's simply a non-commercial bus. GMAC will insure your bus with the code BUS C which i think stands for conversion. My insurance is about 50 bucks a month, but i'm 25, you're cost could be higher.

It took a long time for people at the michigan secretary of state (dmv for michigan) to figure out how to liscense the bus, since it was not a motorhome, but wasn't a commercial vehicle either. When all was said and done, registration was only 27 dollars for a year. I hope you have the same good fortune..
Old 04-19-2004, 12:35 AM   #4
Bus Nut

You say it is a short bus, how short? Almost all insurance policies will cover you when you buy a new vehicle and bring it home. There are limits though. In most states the vehicle has to be under 10,000# not have air breaks etc. If this is one of those half van half bus short buses you may be able to just drive it home and be covered. Though since the title probably says it is a bus you may have a problem. Best bet is to call your insurance agent and find out what your options are. You can always call a different company and find out what it would cost for a temporary deal like a trip permit. Also check with your state to find out if you can just buy a trip permit and not have to worry about insurance. In some states you can do that. Remember when you get the bus insured it is a "motorhome" not a bus. Insurance companies don't like the work "bus." If the title says it is a motorhome than it is.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:01 AM   #5
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
I have a short bus (half-bus) and my insurance agent knows what it is and he insured it as a GMC 1 ton van. No hassles at all.
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote