Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 10:49 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
I did it. I bought a bus

I am still in shock. i am excited and scared at the same time.

https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...ew?auc=2048134

I think I got a good price for a decent bus. Can't wait to bring her home. now the real work begins!!!

Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:30 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Not a bad looking little bus for a reasonable price.

Injector issues are not unknown for that engine, particularly one with that many miles. I would first try running some fuel conditioner through and changing the oil. The injectors work on high pressure engine oil. If the oil is dirty or the wrong viscosity the injectors won't work properly. The injector tips could be clogged up due to old fuel and not running very much recently.

In other words, before you spend a bunch of $$$ doing some major repairs do a little regular maintenance and then get it out and drive it a bit. It just might clear itself up.

The flat floor is a real plus and it appears to have rear air ride suspension which is another big plus.

The smaller 8-lug wheels and tires are a bit uncommon and will limit your tire choices. Limited choices means the tires will cost more than tires for a big bus--common=less expensive, less common=more expensive.

The seats with the inserts in them are built in booster seats. Pull down the insert and you will discover they are pretty much the same as the booster seats found in some Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth mini-vans.

So yes, I think you got a pretty nice bus at a very affordable price.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Not a bad looking little bus for a reasonable price.

Injector issues are not unknown for that engine, particularly one with that many miles. I would first try running some fuel conditioner through and changing the oil. The injectors work on high pressure engine oil. If the oil is dirty or the wrong viscosity the injectors won't work properly. The injector tips could be clogged up due to old fuel and not running very much recently.

In other words, before you spend a bunch of $$$ doing some major repairs do a little regular maintenance and then get it out and drive it a bit. It just might clear itself up.

The flat floor is a real plus and it appears to have rear air ride suspension which is another big plus.

The smaller 8-lug wheels and tires are a bit uncommon and will limit your tire choices. Limited choices means the tires will cost more than tires for a big bus--common=less expensive, less common=more expensive.

The seats with the inserts in them are built in booster seats. Pull down the insert and you will discover they are pretty much the same as the booster seats found in some Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth mini-vans.

So yes, I think you got a pretty nice bus at a very affordable price.

I am looking forward to this project. gonna do just the bare minimum at first. insulation, no holding tanks for the time being. I am thrilled with the booster seats for my 7 and 3 year old. I will keep 2 seats to make a dinette.

Good call on the maintenance. I will run some seafoam through it. I will get all the service records too.

I want to research possibly lifting the rear end a bit so I can get larger tires on it. the front would accommodate a larger tire without lifting it.
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:28 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Interior looks real clean. As said may find out what needs fixed and try to get done. Are you towing or driving home? May check to see what an injector runs may be an easy job,I have no idea. Best of luck,get it running right and scrubbed up make a home outa it.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:35 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post

I want to research possibly lifting the rear end a bit so I can get larger tires on it. the front would accommodate a larger tire without lifting it.
With an air ride rear suspension raising the rear end up isn't a big deal. What we did on one bus was to build some blocks to put between the bottom of the bags and the top of the support platform--easy, peasy. Finding longer shock absorbers--not so easy, peasy. Don't try to raise the rear of the bus just by adding more air to the air bag. That is a good way in which to blow up the bag.

If the rear wheels are 8-lug wheels like the front wheels your tire size choices are pretty limited. I don't think you will find any tires that will fit those wheels that are going to be appreciably taller. Or at least so tall as to require blocking up the air bags.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote