Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2019, 04:45 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
State Farm won’t insure a school bus if you ask them to so why would they do it under your auto policy?
I have insured three buses with State Farm. During conversion I got "commercial for personal use" policies. When finished they will move you to RV insurance.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
USAA told me I was covered and then when I got into a fender bender ten mins later they were like "eff you pal talk to our legal team lol". I ended up getting sued and paying for the restoration of an 83 landcruiser.
This is exactly what I'm saying. Insurance agents are just salespeople but they don't get to decide what is and isn't covered. If they're interested in keeping business then yeah it may require a little occasional work on their part to parse the finer points of a policy or make a phone call to clarify something but I wouldn't pin my legal defense on "well that's what my agent told me!" Personally I am more satisfied that my agent told me no and I can confirm they did their homework because they forwarded me the email conversation they had with underwriting department to clearly define what my intentions were. After its converted and retitled, absolutely they'll look at it as an RV but as far as they were concerned on the maiden voyage its a commercial vehicle and notwithstanding my qualified CDL endorsements for that class of vehicle they still couldn't provide me coverage for that trip. So absolutely I could take my chances but I also know my luck which tends to run about like ECCB's. Or perhaps its occupational hazard because every day I see how #!$@ed up most drivers behave as I sit behind the wheel of 80,000 pounds of rolling death. There is simply no excuse for their behavior but regardless when accidents occur they'll lie like the devil claiming you hit them and when a large vehicle is involved you as the driver are guilty until proven innocent.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
This is exactly what I'm saying. Insurance agents are just salespeople but they don't get to decide what is and isn't covered. If they're interested in keeping business then yeah it may require a little occasional work on their part to parse the finer points of a policy or make a phone call to clarify something but I wouldn't pin my legal defense on "well that's what my agent told me!" Personally I am more satisfied that my agent told me no and I can confirm they did their homework because they forwarded me the email conversation they had with underwriting department to clearly define what my intentions were. After its converted and retitled, absolutely they'll look at it as an RV but as far as they were concerned on the maiden voyage its a commercial vehicle and notwithstanding my qualified CDL endorsements for that class of vehicle they still couldn't provide me coverage for that trip. So absolutely I could take my chances but I also know my luck which tends to run about like ECCB's. Or perhaps its occupational hazard because every day I see how #!$@ed up most drivers behave as I sit behind the wheel of 80,000 pounds of rolling death. There is simply no excuse for their behavior but regardless when accidents occur they'll lie like the devil claiming you hit them and when a large vehicle is involved you as the driver are guilty until proven innocent.
What part of my personal experience with just this situation do you not believe? Bought a bus, had an accident in the 1st 10 minutes. They said I was at fault. They said they woud cover the damages.. What more do you need to know about State Farms policy?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:28 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
What part of my personal experience with just this situation do you not believe? Bought a bus, had an accident in the 1st 10 minutes. They said I was at fault. They said they woud cover the damages.. What more do you need to know about State Farms policy?
I'm not questioning the validity of your experience but I am asserting that your experience is not a good rationale for others to follow the same example. I think you got lucky in that situation and if its the account you shared in post #14 then I can see why it wasn't a big deal because it was just a pole you struck. But using that example to encourage others to follow suit in my opinion is the same as you surviving a fall from an airplane without a parachute so encouraging others to jump from planes because it worked out fine for you. If another vehicle had been involved that probably would have gone entirely different. You also stated that you cancelled the claim before payout so as long as no property owner followed up with a damage claim then you got away with it... Don't expect the same outcome from another vehicle owner. That's all I'm trying to say.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:29 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
I'm not questioning the validity of your experience but I am asserting that your experience is not a good rationale for others to follow the same example. I think you got lucky in that situation and if its the account you shared in post #14 then I can see why it wasn't a big deal because it was just a pole you struck. But using that example to encourage others to follow suit in my opinion is the same as you surviving a fall from an airplane without a parachute so encouraging others to jump from planes because it worked out fine for you. If another vehicle had been involved that probably would have gone entirely different. You also stated that you cancelled the claim before payout so as long as no property owner followed up with a damage claim then you got away with it... Don't expect the same outcome from another vehicle owner. That's all I'm trying to say.

an easy solution to this subject is check with your insurance company before assuming anything
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:45 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Insurance companies purposely LOOK for reasons NOT to pay out... any little mis-step and they deny a claim.. you are still responsible for the liability in an at-fault situation whether insurance or your checkbook pays it..

insurance companies asre now even partially denying claims if they take witness acouunts and surveillance video and determine that even though you werent at fault that you didnt do enough defensive maneuvers to try and avoid the crash... the cops may write a toilet paper roll of infractions against the other driver.. yet the insurance company may still only pay none or partial.. until you go. to court and sue them..

its a damn good idea to talk to the actual insurance company vs the agent once you write a policy and read the fine print... they are not "on your side" they are "on their pocket-book's side" pure and simple..

those carrying progressive commercial for personal use and then taking the seats out of their bus and beginning as conversion are likely NOT covered in a real accident.. since they specifically state no school bus conversions.. I do know they pay out if a bus still has seats as someone I know got hit by an uninsured driver and their bus with seats was covered and repaired...

state farm paid out 5 years ago or so when my shorty was damaged in a garage fire.. that bus still had seats... state farm in my area no longer insures school busses at all except for a real business...

you must read the fine print and talk to the COMPANY not the agent..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:32 AM   #27
Bus Geek

State Farm has taken very good care of me.

I have had several claims over the last 20 years including two on buses.

Heck, they paid me $2200 when a tree fell on my $2500 shorty..

When I wrecked my truck they paid for a truck rental for a month while I looked for a replacement. When I couldn't find a comparable truck for the $$that they gave me they gave me more.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
an easy solution to this subject is check with your insurance company before assuming anything
Quote:
Dude, It's State Farms policy, has nothing to do with rational. Maybe you should call them directly to tell them their lying when they tell you you're covered.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Dude, It's State Farms policy, has nothing to do with rational. Maybe you should call them directly to tell them their lying when they tell you you're covered.
He said 'rationale', not 'rational'. This is like the third time you've used that word incorrectly....look it up. Of course the first two times you claimed it was a typo....

It's 'they're' lying, not 'their' lying......another typo? Again?

For someone who claims to be a master of the English language, you rarely show it. Maybe instead of correcting others all the time, you could use that time to study, and sharpen your own skills.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:54 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
He said 'rationale', not 'rational'. This is like the third time you've used that word incorrectly....look it up. Of course the first two times you claimed it was a typo....

It's 'they're' lying, not 'their' lying......another typo? Again?

For someone who claims to be a master of the English language, you rarely show it. Maybe instead of correcting others all the time, you could use that time to study, and sharpen your own skills.
I have to laugh at myself.....

In my youth my grammar and spelling skills where exelent. As I have "matured" my ability to spell has definitely taken a hit.

Math skills as well. Things that came easily 30 years ago frustrate me now.

I thought that we were supposed to get smarter with age

Edit: I rest my case.... I had to edit my post to correct a spelling error....
Old 10-22-2019, 11:46 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
You need to get a life if all you can do is come to bitch about a couple spelling errors, you're so sad. Never anything of value in your posts. Just curious, how many Thank you PM's have you received? I asked before and you didn't answer.
I've never commented on anyone's spelling or word usage but yours....you seem to be the only one with an overwhelming need to do so.....you may be compensating for something. And then when you get called out, you whine about it.

Don't remember you asking, but no problem. To date I've received 26 thank-yous.......18 for ideas/thoughts/help, and 8 thanking me for treating you like you treat others.

As far as questions not answered.....I asked you to prove your 'claimed' 2 NASCAR championships and 20 feature race wins, and you disappeared. All I could find was one 7 mile race you won against 6 other drivers.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:51 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
I've never commented on anyone's spelling or word usage but yours....you seem to be the only one with an overwhelming need to do so.....you may be compensating for something. And then when you get called out, you whine about it.

Don't remember you asking, but no problem. To date I've received 26 thank-yous.......18 for ideas/thoughts/help, and 8 thanking me for treating you like you treat others.

As far as questions not answered.....I asked you to prove your 'claimed' 2 NASCAR championships and 20 feature race wins, and you disappeared. All I could find was one 7 mile race you won against 6 other drivers.
You got your numbers wrong, it was actually 60 feature wins. Here's the 2 Champion plaques, sold all the trophies last year for sports movie props. I have at this point over 70 thank you's. So I value my presence here by that, not by what you think. Now show me how clueless you are by telling me how easy it was to accomplish those results.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191023_014217959.jpg  
Old 10-23-2019, 04:36 AM   #33
Bus Nut

Can we get back to bus topics please?
Old 10-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

I always looked around the auction and stole some exempt plates in Texas. There were usually a set laying in the auctioneer’s truck. I never had any problems if I had a plate or not. The only time I ever had a problem was when I put a temporary plate on. I placed it on the inside of the back glass. A sheriff’s deputy said that was the wrong place. I told him if I put it in the right place someone would take it. He agreed and I went on my way.
Lkn4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:51 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Can we get back to bus topics please?

........................................... ...
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote