Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #11
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,128
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Its not a bad motor, but its lower in power than a 5.9 cummins or DT466.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #12
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Its not a bad motor, but its lower in power than a 5.9 cummins or DT466.
so other than rawr! power its still a decent engine? does it cost more to repair? are the parts harder to find? is there any factor other than the RAWR! power that comes into play? I do not really plan to go overboard on weight in the conversion. is there another consideration i am not considering?
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:34 AM   #13
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,128
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
They're reliable enough, for sure.
If it truly does 72mph then that's great. But don't expect it to do too well in the mountains.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:56 AM   #14
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
They're reliable enough, for sure.
If it truly does 72mph then that's great. But don't expect it to do too well in the mountains.
yeah it does i was in the bus while it was doing 72 sustained lol. Ahhh, so that's the catch. well that sucks in regards to going to colorado in general :-/
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:26 AM   #15
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,128
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I mean, my bus only has 190 hp and only does about 62 or 63. I wouldn't cross the rockies with it.
If it does 72 it sounds like it has plenty of power.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:35 AM   #16
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I mean, my bus only has 190 hp and only does about 62 or 63. I wouldn't cross the rockies with it.
If it does 72 it sounds like it has plenty of power.
yeah, the bus to me is, with consideration of the rust belt, in great shape. I think i can do Colorado but 0 mountain elevations past the initial city height. Now the more important part...how to scrounge up the monies, assuming i still have the giggles about it on tuesday lol
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:37 AM   #17
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,128
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
The buses in CO are pretty awesome, if a bit pricey.
I love it out there.
Have you looked at any proper mountain buses? The buses in CO come all come with driveline retarders and usually have higher HP ratings.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:42 AM   #18
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The buses in CO are pretty awesome, if a bit pricey.
I love it out there.
Have you looked at any proper mountain buses? The buses in CO come all come with driveline retarders and usually have higher HP ratings.
yeah....noooo, i am working hard to make $4k work. the buses there are far more expensive. granted my civic is from there and gets insane MPG compared to friends who bought theirs in chicago. but alas, my budget , she is a fickle lady. lol
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #19
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuleslight View Post
Yes, It mostly looks like surface rust, i am sure it is deeper in parts of the bus. The engine on this thing purrs, But without any documentation i suspect the engine needs to rebuilt and sooner rather than later. The batteries will need to be replaced as well and of course an oil change. With the rust I might be able to use those factors to get it below 4,000. But with a dealership, i doubt it.

Why do you say the 444 is under-powered? like it would not be able to carry the load of a conversion well?
Why do you think the engine will need to be rebuilt? 150k miles on a diesel is nothing. And as far as load of the conversion, you should be way under what the capacity of the bus is. Did you look to see how many rpm the engine was turning at 72mph? What condition are the tires in (tread, date code, cracking)? Since it's a dealer you can haggle......see if you can get them to perform scheduled maintenance on it as part of the deal (Fluid changes, possibly any belts that might need changing, etc). Worst thing they can say is no and you can always walk if you feel strong enough about it. They have dozens of these and just want to get rid of them as fast as they can, while you can take your time and shop around for the right deal. For $4k you can find what you want, just have patience.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #20
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 220
Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Why do you think the engine will need to be rebuilt? 150k miles on a diesel is nothing. And as far as load of the conversion, you should be way under what the capacity of the bus is. Did you look to see how many rpm the engine was turning at 72mph? What condition are the tires in (tread, date code, cracking)? Since it's a dealer you can haggle......see if you can get them to perform scheduled maintenance on it as part of the deal (Fluid changes, possibly any belts that might need changing, etc). Worst thing they can say is no and you can always walk if you feel strong enough about it. They have dozens of these and just want to get rid of them as fast as they can, while you can take your time and shop around for the right deal. For $4k you can find what you want, just have patience.
150 k without the engine being rebuilt at all, or at least no confirmation of any maintenance. so i have to be prepared to consider it as needed as i have no evidence to the contrary. Honestly, no not the entire time, it looked like it was under red but i cannot 100% confirm. The tires are in the pictures, No cracking, the code says they were made in 2012, the tread is deep. I thought the same, but i might just do some of that myself. I will have to learn how to do an oil change on it eventually. Yeah, they do, and i think i can get it for 4k without haggling and maybe 3-3.5k if i really point out all the issues. I am taking my time, i looked at school buses, RV's, U-hauls,and previously converted Schoolies. People are asking for a lot of money for poor craftsmanship in most instances. And it seems most logical to build to my tastes. Also, Most of the out of state places are offering similar prices for what i want. However, i dont have to drive 2000 miles to get this one locally, if the price came down to 3k i buy it now. lol
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.