Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuleslight View Post
150 k without the engine being rebuilt at all, or at least no confirmation of any maintenance. so i have to be prepared to consider it as needed as i have no evidence to the contrary.
People are asking for a lot of money for poor craftsmanship in most instances. And it seems most logical to build to my tastes.
Also, Most of the out of state places are offering similar prices for what i want. However, i dont have to drive 2000 miles to get this one locally, if the price came down to 3k i buy it now. lol
As you probably know these engines easily go double or triple 150k miles so the chance of having to rebuild is low. And all buses have had regular maintenance performed, at least when the original school systems owned them. Just inspect the mechanicals carefully, and you can always get an oil analysis done to check the state of the engine, etc.
I agree with the traveling statement. You can easily spend the money you thought you were saving by buying a bus far away on plane ticket, hotel, fuel to get it back home, etc and most of the time you're buying sight unseen if it's that far away and an auction. To me $3k-$4k for a bus from a dealer that you can test drive, inspect thoroughly, haggle on the price as well as possible additional maintenance work/parts, lower cost to get it home, etc is well worth it.

dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

That looks like a great little bus if the price is under $5K.

Air brakes and air ride rear suspension are nice options.

The T444E is a great engine for what it is.

They came in HP ratings from below 200 HP to 250 HP. The transmissions were generally Allison AT540 or 2000 series transmissions.

When I say it is a great engine for what it is, generally speaking a V-type engine will not climb hills as well as an inline engine.

72 MPH sounds about right if it has the 2000 series transmission. 65 would sound more like top speed with an AT540 transmission.

If the price is right it should work very well for you.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
That looks like a great little bus if the price is under $5K.

Air brakes and air ride rear suspension are nice options.

The T444E is a great engine for what it is.

They came in HP ratings from below 200 HP to 250 HP. The transmissions were generally Allison AT540 or 2000 series transmissions.

When I say it is a great engine for what it is, generally speaking a V-type engine will not climb hills as well as an inline engine.

72 MPH sounds about right if it has the 2000 series transmission. 65 would sound more like top speed with an AT540 transmission.

If the price is right it should work very well for you.
yeah, im gathering the finances for it right now so that i can start as soon as possible on the project. My sleep on it method says i should buy it, the responses from you guys say i should buy it and of the busses i looked at, it was the best for the least. so when i get the bus i will post
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
yeah, im gathering the finances for it right now so that i can start as soon as possible on the project. My sleep on it method says i should buy it, the responses from you guys say i should buy it and of the busses i looked at, it was the best for the least. so when i get the bus i will post
Can't wait to see the pics, and let us know how the transaction goes with Don Brown Bus Sales for future reference. Feedback and personal references go a long way in determining if a seller gets future business from other like minded buyers.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #25
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Can't wait to see the pics, and let us know how the transaction goes with Don Brown Bus Sales for future reference. Feedback and personal references go a long way in determining if a seller gets future business from other like minded buyers.
Maybe i should use that as leverage when i negotiate a price. lol

I plan to also make youtube video's and at the end edit is all together as like a project piece. I need practice editing as well as wood working XD
Old 04-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
Maybe i should use that as leverage when i negotiate a price. lol

I plan to also make youtube video's and at the end edit is all together as like a project piece. I need practice editing as well as wood working XD
Seriously, mention it during talks/negotiations with the dealer. Mention you are a member of the THE site all skoolie builders (thousands) communicate on and you will be documenting every aspect of your purchase and build in real time. Might not make a difference in the final deal but can't hurt. You have the upper hand in all negotiations because you have the cash and can walk at any time and buy a bus elsewhere.
I had an email conversation going with the sales guy from Don Brown, Steven Van Heusen, getting some general info on them and what they offer. He followed up the next day asking if I wanted to work a deal on a bus even though I had mentioned I was still working on getting my finances straight. That tells me they're eager to turn the inventory over as soon as they can. A bus sitting on the lot isn't making them any $$$$. Good luck!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #27
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Seriously, mention it during talks/negotiations with the dealer. Mention you are a member of the THE site all skoolie builders (thousands) communicate on and you will be documenting every aspect of your purchase and build in real time. Might not make a difference in the final deal but can't hurt. You have the upper hand in all negotiations because you have the cash and can walk at any time and buy a bus elsewhere.
I had an email conversation going with the sales guy from Don Brown, Steven Van Heusen, getting some general info on them and what they offer. He followed up the next day asking if I wanted to work a deal on a bus even though I had mentioned I was still working on getting my finances straight. That tells me they're eager to turn the inventory over as soon as they can. A bus sitting on the lot isn't making them any $$$$. Good luck!
mine is a different company, but you are right a lot of buses sitting making no money. If this falls through, i can always look at your guy as well.