Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I hate people

Had to run into walmart for some paint

parked behind a truck with a bumper sticker that read:
"Somewhere in Kenya, a village has lost it's idiot"

I walked past the truck, and a beautiful black and white collie is panting like crazy. running back and forth from driver's side to passenger's side sticking it's nose out the 1/2 inch window gap trying to get some air. I said "hey buddy" and he kind made this whining noise.

I verified the engine was not running, before I called PD as I walked in the store.
I found the idiot! And so did animal control!

I was in the store 30 minutes, and when I walked out, I saw the animal control officer had blocked the truck in... the passenger of the truck didn't have a key, but was unloading his basket into the back of the truck ahead of the driver...

I had met one officer walking in, as I was walking out and I asked him if he found the owner... he said "we're still trying to locate him."

the thermometer in my truck said it was 93 degrees.
I started thinking while I was in the store, that I didn't want to get anyone in trouble... But, by the time I came out, I realized the dog was the victim of an idiot, so I didn't feel so bad for the driver! Of course I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but I won't stand by and watch an animal suffer

Old 07-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9; MT643
Rated Cap: (was) 44; (now) 2
Some people just do not think. ever. apparently.

Good on you.
Seroflorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Honestly, if you blow out the window, the cops aren't going to care. And, if anything indemnify you in the event the owner decides to sue

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
I've called the cops at least a half dozen times. When the owner has come out before the cops came, they usually say I was only gone for 5 minutes. Yeah, right.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #5

And I hate people too!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 07-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9; MT643
Rated Cap: (was) 44; (now) 2
Bill Bryson said it best, "if you were going to choose a creature to steward the rest of the world...you wouldn't choose humans."
Seroflorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I go ape$hat on anyone who leaves their dog in a vehicle. Of course, its bad here in Fl.
I've cursed out "sweet" little old ladies over this.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: happy camper RV repair
Chassis: international
Engine: 360 international
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Maybe you should bust out a window and then the other window and another....and when asked why you busted so many windows to get the dog out, just tell them he was by this window and I busted it , then he ran over there so I busted that one .......
Old 07-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Had to run into walmart for some paint

parked behind a truck with a bumper sticker that read:
"Somewhere in Kenya, a village has lost it's idiot"

I walked past the truck, and a beautiful black and white collie is panting like crazy. running back and forth from driver's side to passenger's side sticking it's nose out the 1/2 inch window gap trying to get some air. I said "hey buddy" and he kind made this whining noise.
. . .

the thermometer in my truck said it was 93 degrees.
I started thinking while I was in the store, that I didn't want to get anyone in trouble... But, by the time I came out, I realized the dog was the victim of an idiot, so I didn't feel so bad for the driver! Of course I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but I won't stand by and watch an animal suffer
Good for you! We gotta look out for the animals when they can't look out for themselves. Reminds me of a few days ago when I had a much nicer experience: was in The Home Depot in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and a lady in there had her dog with her in the shopping cart while it was about 93 out. The THD associates were very kind to the canine and his keeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Honestly, if you blow out the window, the cops aren't going to care. And, if anything indemnify you in the event the owner decides to sue
Guess the same isn't true if you scratched out the "Kenya" on that bumper sticker and wrote above it the name of whatever state matched the truck's license plates.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:41 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Good job.

I would have taken some pics, and blown that window out with a large socket. Key is to throw it so hard, the socket go's right through the vehicle, taking out both front windows. Then pull the string line I tied to it, so you don't loose the socket.

Then I would have loaded the dog in my ride, and left. I would either keep it, or pass it to someone I know that is looking for a dog.

Reason being? If he is mistreating and putting The dog's life in danger now, what is going to change in the future?

In many of my pics, some of you have seen a short legged, long body, long haired, black and white dog. His name is "Swiper".

My kids named him from the kids cartoon "Dora The explorer". He was named after the fox, due to his cute slender little face.

My dog Swiper go's everywhere with me. Job sites, shopping, ect. If he is not allowed on a work site, I work somewhere else.

It's only 32 C here and 70% humidity at worst. If my dog must stay in the car, I stay with him. Also, none of my vehicles have AC.

In real hot times of travel I wet Swiper and myself down when hot. This allows him to cool somewhere other than his panting, and my any water I splash on my self is moisture my body won't have to sweat out.

I have had kidney stones more than once, and this time of year hydration in the first thing I think about every morning. So every morning a YETI cooler is loaded full of ice, bottled water, and pure fruit juices.

When I'm working, if Swiper can't run free, I chain him to the car, with my cooler open to him to drink the ice water at his pace. He lays in the shade of the car, and I give him a sign saying "I have everything I need, Please don't start drama". I spend my breaks with him, and he gets to meet many people and other dogs. Children are his favorite as he likes the energy they give off.

My little buddy sleeps under my bed, and in my car at night when away from home. Unlike in most southern places, it gets nice and cool at night, so this is not a heat issue.
Swiper has never bitten anyone in his life. He just don't have it in him. The kids in the passed have been awful to him, but never a chomp.

He hates people on hard drugs, and will sniff the drugs out if someone has any that is approaching, then loose it on them as soon as he has located it. This I never trained him, he just started doing it on his own when we lived in the hotel the summer and fall of 2014. He is also defensive against people that have over consumed alcohol.

No one ever steps in his poop. He only poops in long grass or bushes. Again, I never trained him to do that.

Swiper only barks when acting as a guard dog, chained up, or if some one is carrying bad energy. When chain up as a guard dog, he uses a different tone of bark for the different distances of the intruders he has detected. This I trained him to do.

His breed is almost half Border Collie, about a quarter Corgi, and some wiener dog. The father was a full Border Collie and his Mom was the Corgi / wiener dag.

He is nine, and I'm seeing him slow down a bit. I love the little guy as he was our family dog from my previous marriage. So really he belongs to my kids. Everyday with our fur friend is a blessing. He brings great energy to most places we go.

Please folks continue to watch out for kids and pets in vehicles.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #11

I don't know what is wrong with these people. Look how many kids have died being left in the car. One was a CEO of a hospital. She can run a hospital but can't take care of her kid.

https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 07-10-2015, 08:30 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
I don't know what is wrong with these people. Look how many kids have died being left in the car. One was a CEO of a hospital. She can run a hospital but can't take care of her kid.

I've often wondered about this also...
I read about the latest one that died because everyone unloaded groceries and went inside, only to wonder where the kid was after an hour. Tragic.

I've also wondered.... We have glass breakage monitors, noise detector alarms, motion detectors, and the "help, I've fallen and I can't get up alarm"....
Why can't there be a monitor placed in a vehicle that listens for crying and motion when the ignition is turned off?
flashing lights, honking horn, smartphone app, call to the PD

It could even be trained for a particular baby's crying voice. Hell, they've had voice to text software for years!!!

Police officer's have motion detectors that send a signal if the officer is motionless for so many seconds!

there's even range monitors for parents for when their child wanders beyond it's parameters!

swimming pool monitors detect breaking the water's surface.

I know society shouldn't be in this situation where it needs to rely on devices.... but, the loss of just one child's life is worth it!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
It would surprise folks how often this happens-
Gulf Shores police dog died from being left in hot patrol car (updated) | AL.com
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Police officer's have motion detectors that send a signal if the officer is motionless for so many seconds!
That's only because they are worried about the officer choking a a donut.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 07-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
you made me cry!
K9's are very close to my heart.

I organized an "All-Star T-ball Tournament" one weekend when I was Baseball league president for the county.... took 2 players from each team in the league and put 4 teams together. It was so humbling. It's purpose was to get a K9 for the County Sheriff's Dept.
We raised $4500 in one afternoon.

"Astra" is a Belgian Malinois, with multiple certifications.... the money we raised was about a third of her down payment

About 2 months ago I read an article where a small Arkansas PD was trying to raise money for a K9, I looked up their info, called them up and visited with their mayor. He loved the idea, and said he could make it happen also! I think they were going more toward a police officer's softball tournament with many teams from their county... and I told him if he need volunteers, to holler!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
That's only because they are worried about the officer choking a a donut.
everybody's a comedian.....

Old 07-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
everybody's a comedian.....

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 07-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:

saturday......
Police: Boy found dead in hot car was Arkansas judge's son

July 17th
http://news.yahoo.com/texas-toddler-...221412590.html
Old 07-27-2015, 08:16 PM   #19

This is beyond words for me.

I remember one time some lady came up to me when I was working on my moms rental. She looked out her window and saw my Rottweiler sitting in my Excursion. She complained that my dog was in the truck with the windows rolled up and it was over 80* outside. I thanked her for her concern and informed her that the truck was running with both front and rear A/C was on full blast and probably about 65* inside the truck. She then complained that I was ruining the environment by leaving the truck running. At that point any courtesy that I had extended to her went out the window and I won't repeat what I said to her.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 07-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
This is beyond words for me.

I remember one time some lady came up to me when I was working on my moms rental. She looked out her window and saw my Rottweiler sitting in my Excursion. She complained that my dog was in the truck with the windows rolled up and it was over 80* outside. I thanked her for her concern and informed her that the truck was running with both front and rear A/C was on full blast and probably about 65* inside the truck. She then complained that I was ruining the environment by leaving the truck running. At that point any courtesy that I had extended to her went out the window and I won't repeat what I said to her.

huge reason I'm moving to the hills Saturday!
Getting to where I hate being around people

they're going to mess around a make me a casualty of their idiocy!