Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2007, 11:37 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800
Rated Cap: 36
I need help installing my roof vent!!!!!!

I bought a sureflo gold series roof vent for my bus, and now it seems to be much deeper than my roof. The Bus roof is about 2in. from outer to inner and the vent is about 3 3/4in. deep. How can I mount it without it looking wierd on the inside? Also I thought I could run the wiring in between the roofs, but the cross beams seem to be solid. How can I wire it without having exposed wires? Thanks for any help.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: I need help installing my roof vent!!!!!!

Is there a way to trim the depth off of the vertical pieces? I had to trim about 1 1/2" off of a carrier mounting plate for my roof top ac unit to get it to work. I would mount the vent on the roof with a couple of screws to hold it in place and trim the lower part (the part sticking out) to fit. Then slip the lower piece in and size it to fit and then trim it as well. Might even have to put in a piece of 1 x 2 to provide spacing for the two roof panels.

For running the wiring in the roof panels. I seriously doubt it. The ribs in my AmTrans body are pretty solid through out. What I did for the 12 volt wires was to put a couple of short walls in width from floor to ceiling and ran the wiring in them much like residential wiring. Then ran the wires up into the ceiling as it went past the roof top ac unit opening and then back out into the wall on the other side. For the 120 volt, I ran it along the base of the walls on both sides with a piece of 1" conduit running from side to side carrying the 120 volt wires.

HTH
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:06 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800
Rated Cap: 36
Re: I need help installing my roof vent!!!!!!

Thanks Eggman, but I can't trim enough off the vent to mount it flush on the roof. I'm thinking I'll use some spacing wood on the inside and paint it white. Maybe it won't look too bad. The wiring is going to be a problem. I also bought a carrier air-v and think I might have the same problems. Any other suggestions from you guys or gals is greatly appreciated!!!!!