Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Skoolie

I revised my TravelinWithUs.com Website

Hello all,

I am pretty much finished with my conversion as I stated in my conversion thread and I am just waiting a week or two before we take off on our first major voyage. I have been doing some trip planning and have been bouncing all over the web looking for truck stops, rest areas, campgrounds, dump stations etc to stop at on the way. I found a lot of information on the internet but it is scattered all over the place. So, I decided to revamp travelinwithus.com which I originally intended to be a blog website for our family to share our traveling experiences. I still am going to do that but I moved our family's blog to a sub domain and decided to utilize travelinwithus.com to create a resource for traveling. Sort of a one stop shop per say.

So far I have added some mapping functionality to the site that will display all the rest areas, Flying J and Pilot truck stops and all the rest areas with RV Dump stations. I am planning to add a map for campgrounds and then do a map that displays all these items on one map. I added a social type community component to the site and I also decided to let other families create a blog on the site if they decided to as well.

I haven't publicized this anywhere other than this forum as of yet. I really have come to like reading and participating on this forum and keeping up with all of your projects and have come to respect many of your opinions. If you would, take a look at http://www.travelinwithus.com and give me your input. I know there a some here that are fulltimers and some that are considering becoming a fulltimer and I am really interested in your opinions.

Let me know your thoughts and let me know if you can think of other resources that you would like to see on the site. Keep in mind that this was a thought that I had about 3 hours ago and I have only been working on it since then so the site is no where near complete. I just wanted to get some input as I am working on it.

Thank you for taking the time to take a peek and I am anxious to get your feedback.

-Brandon

travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: I revised my TravelinWithUs.com Website

Looked at your site....... Looks promising..........

Some things to consider........

Starting a list for .... Skoolie Friendly RV Campgrounds......

Free or cheap campgrounds ..... Low cost. Pretty sure we have a list started on skoolie.net.

List of Wal-Marts for overnighters.. not all Wal-marts are RV friendly/ or have city laws and or restrictions. Pretty sure this is posted on web too somewhere.

Will be nice to have all info available on one site.....

Good luck on your adventure/trip and best of luck with with web site..... I'm sure it will grow as the word gets out......
Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
Looked at your site....... Looks promising..........

Some things to consider........

Starting a list for .... Skoolie Friendly RV Campgrounds......

Free or cheap campgrounds ..... Low cost. Pretty sure we have a list started on skoolie.net.

List of Wal-Marts for overnighters.. not all Wal-marts are RV friendly/ or have city laws and or restrictions. Pretty sure this is posted on web too somewhere.

Will be nice to have all info available on one site.....

Good luck on your adventure/trip and best of luck with with web site..... I'm sure it will grow as the word gets out......
Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated and great suggestions. I have added two maps, one for Walmarts and Sam's Clubs that DO allow overnight parking and one for stores that DO NOT allow overnight parking. I will begin working on free or cheap campgrounds later today. I have to set the site to the side for a few hours and get a couple other things done.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Ichecked it out about 5 this morning,I actually signed up,just waiting to verify...I will check out the maps since they weren't there this morning,thanks for the work your doing/going to do
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Ichecked it out about 5 this morning,I actually signed up,just waiting to verify

I see you registered on the site, thank you. Did you get the confirmation email? If not I will manually activate you. If you didn't receive the activation email please let me know, you may want to check your "Junk Mail" folder as well.

Quote:
I will check out the maps since they weren't there this morning,thanks for the work your doing/going to do
You are welcome. I love doing data manipulation and web development. Maps are cool especially when you can get the info you want easily.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Skoolie

I have another question. Currently I have the community set to "Real Name". Do you think I should leave it or change it to display the account holder's username instead? Myself, I kind of lean toward username as it seems a little less intrusive.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinwithus
I have another question. Currently I have the community set to "Real Name". Do you think I should leave it or change it to display the account holder's username instead? Myself, I kind of lean toward username as it seems a little less intrusive.
USERNAME, No need to have one it you are not going to use it...... Where else will it show up other the your registration page?

Noticed than this am when I signed up....
Old 10-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
Quote:
USERNAME, No need to have one it you are not going to use it...... Where else will it show up other the your registration page?

Noticed than this am when I signed up....
Username it is. I have changed the setting on the site. With the configuration set to display username a user's real name will not display anywhere. Not to public or to friends. I didn't realize that it was even set to display real name until I saw your account profile. Privacy is an important issue to me so I think setting it to display username if for the best.

Again, thanks for the input.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
Bus Geek

If you could activate me manually that would be great...the validation email didn't have a "link" (phone) and I can't copy and paste it......its too much to type in on my phone
TIA
Old 10-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
If you could activate me manually that would be great...the validation email didn't have a "link" (phone) and I can't copy and paste it......its too much to type in on my phone
TIA
You are activated
Old 10-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Quote:
TIA
You are activated
Thank you Sir~
Cheers...and I wish luck to be with you and yours.....our paths may cross one day...I'll save "one" for you
Old 10-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
TIA
You are activated
Thank you Sir~
Cheers...and I wish luck to be with you and yours.....our paths may cross one day...I'll save "one" for you
Thank you and I look forward to the day!

I got 8,000 some campgrounds up on the site and 1824 Passport America campgrounds on a separate map. I'm thinking identifying Skoolie friendly sites is going to be a daunting task. I saw the post you referred to GreyEagle and there are a handful on there. I think I may put a submission form on the site so when someone with a Skoolie has a good or bad experience I can note it on the maps. Then again maybe I should just create a map with the info I have, even if it is only a few campsites and people will hopefully request to have locations added.

Don't mind me I am just thinking out loud again.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
Skoolie

In light of Hurricane Sandy and how important it is to track weather while traveling I added a United States Radar map to the site. http://travelinwithus.com/traveling-map ... r-map.html
Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

We live in northwestern ontario, cdn, went to wisconsin dells,no problem with camp grounds, same with minnesota, no problems with the skoolie. I sent emails to rv parks in florida(panama beach) the said no problems with the bus, 1 park did ask for a picture so i sent one the said come on down! and the rv parks in quartzsite no problem there(that should be a given). Im sure there are the snob rv parks that you have to have a half million dollar rv, dont want to be there anyway.
If you email parks in the area you want travell there really shouldnt be any problems, they want your money.

gbstewart
Old 10-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
Skoolie

I added a couple maps.

At the request of GreyEagle I added a CNG (compressed natural gas) fill location map: http://travelinwithus.com/traveling-map ... tions.html

At the request of my wife I added a laundromat location map: http://travelinwithus.com/traveling-map ... n-map.html

Also added a propane fill station map: http://travelinwithus.com/traveling-map ... n-map.html

Thanks for all your requests and input. Your input is making this a great resource for all of us "travelers". As I get more maps up I will be dividing them into groups to make the navigation easier.