Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2005, 11:28 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via MSN to headface
I think i found it maybe um i dunno

O K i am looking for my perfect skewl bus to buy i want to get the best i can so i am researching it extensivly before purchase

I wanted it to be greatly reliable so the dt466 is the engine i settled on any input on this good bad

what tranny should i look for i know the at545 or somthin like that is a slipper and just everything about it bad

what tranny should i look for dont care if its manual or auto

also do i need to worry about what kind of body or rear end it has anything i should avoid or look for

what i am saying is if there was a perfect skewl bus that you could put together what would if have on it

thanx and remember keep it in reason its not a leer jet thanx again

headface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:55 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Don't just look at the 466--International's 444IDI and T444E are also good engines, & so is the Cummins 5.9 litre B-series.

The only things I'd say to run away from are:
Detroit 8.2 litre (mostly GMC/Chevy, sen them in a few Fords)
International 9.0 litre (IH only)
AT 545 tranny (just about anything)
Anything with Lucas-Girling hydraulic brakes (late 80's-early 90's Fords)

Any lockup Allison (AT500, MT600 series) is fine.

I know of 3 Internationals for sale...they're described in the "classified" section here--if you're interested, let me know & I'll get some details.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:51 AM   #3
Bus Nut

I like the DT466 as well even the 360 and 366 are great. Look for a bus with the MT643 or a manual. If you care about fuel economy and top speed the rear end matters. Some school districts have a few buses for special trips and they usually have bigger engines and highway gears. Greg always has good buses and can find one that you want. His website is flbus.tripod.com. Give him a call and he can tell you anything about skoolies you want to know. As he will tell you watch out for rust buckets. Good luck in your search.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:01 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via MSN to headface
This is a joint project between me and my brother and this is where i really throw in somthing fun

as we are currently staring at stocks

hundreds of graphs and charts coming up with our own formula's that we will then program into a computer

with this program in the computer it will garentee us profit as long as the market follows the same trends it has for the last eighty years

so now with this financial system working

we need a hobby what better hobby then a sailboat right ???

then came the search to find the proper tow vehicle

i came to the conclusion that the vehicle would be under 10mpg

so hey why not a bus right we could have a skewlie towing our sailboat right

not with the boat being 25' long and another 10' in trailor tounge length that makes a 35' tow

the boat weighing in at anywhere between 3000 and 6000 depending on many things i decided this would be an easy tow for a bus

and with the proper driving skill it would be feasable to make this 60' of weight iron and dreams float down the road right

oh and also there will be a 1500lb geo metro in the rear ten feet of the bus for lighter transportation when we reach our destination

so lets hear som input now and please dont dash my dreams

this is possible right lol

thanx guys
headface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:15 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Most skoolies would handle the weight just fine. I would not tow that much weight behind a bus with hydraulic brakes though. Another thing is if you have an auto tranny you should install a BIG tranny cooler. Sounds like you will want a bigger engine as well like the DT466. If you look long enough you might even find a flat nose Blue Bird with a Cummins 8.3 front engine setup. The 8.3 is a great engine like the DT466. You also should look for a bus with a MT series tranny the AT545 is just too weak. Here is a good example of what I am talking about that I found at Gregs site.

http://flbus.tripod.com/genesis/genesisindex.html
busone is offline   Reply With Quote