Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Almost There

I use excessive motor oil.

I have an 86 international. It tends to use ALOT of oil, like 4 quarts every 500 miles, sometimes does better. Any ideas?

ParadigmCrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Is it burning the oil? Leaking into the coolant? Or just plain leaking out of a seal onto the ground?
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:01 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Steve asked the big 3 questions. Losing that much oil should be obvious if leaking out, or if burning, you should definately notice blue smoke both starting and running down the road at that rate -- and probably oil film on the body at the exhaust.
waywardfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I got an idea but its prolly not what you want to hear, Rebuild the engine and replace the rings, its alot of work but you will be glad you did! By the way what type of engine is it , international engines can be had for a decent price i have seen them anywhere from $1,400 to 2,500 but it depends on the engine type let me know and i will link you to a few sites with good prices.
77International is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
I've seen a good share of 6.9's that burned up to a gallon of oil between fill ups. (about 400 to 500 miles) I don't recall any blue smoke but I do recall loads of black smoke. We never did worry about the amount then when oil prices were at a 1/3 what they are today.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:41 PM   #6
Almost There

Well, occasionally I see blue smoke, but not always. I figured it was burning it, which means I should rebuild the engine.

Ive always wanted to rebuild a diesel anyways, so I;ll probably do that in a few months.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:11 AM   #7
Bus Geek

what type of motor?
Old 08-03-2006, 07:54 PM   #8
Bus Geek

you'll have to stop in grand rapids and visit phill and his bus on your way home.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:34 PM   #9
Almost There

I have a 6.9LD International. Sorry dont know more than that. Ive already driven it 4000+ miles from asheville NC, to virginia beach. across virginia, down towards texas, across texas, to sandiego CA.

I didnt have many problems, aside from the water pump breaking in durham NC, after I fixed that it was fine.. however it did burn lots of oil the whole way. I went through several gallons (good thing it runs on veg oil, cuz thats where I saved tons of money).

I am expereincing(automatic) transmission slippage now, not sure why. Didnt do that anywhere on the trip. I think the sandiego mountains may have something to do with it. Gonna dig into things next week.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:08 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: "Detroit 8.2 built to expell oil"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by convertabus
Recently I saw a description on eBay for a motorhome with an 8.2 that said the 8.2 was designed to expell oil. First of all, is there any truth to that? Secondly, if that is the case, is it because of poor design that it was designed that way?
I don't know about the 8.2, but being that it was Detroit's first attempt at a 4 cycle diesel, it does share a lot of design features (or quirks) with the old two strokers. The two stroke detroits earned a reputation as being "Leaktroits." They had breathers that weren't necessarily poorly designed...in fact, they worked the way they were supposed to in that they vented away excess oil....but they did lead to plenty oil puddles. As I recall this is more of a problem when they operated for extended time periods at higher RPM's like highway speeds or in stationary settings like gensets. Of course I'm not detroit mechanic....this is all stuff I've absorbed from talking to the people that are or have a lot of experience with them.

BTW....the 6.6 Ford hasn't used a measureable amount of oil since I've owned it, even with about 750 new miles on the ticker.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:16 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Black smoke is wasted fuel out the tailpipe...DEFINITELY something to have checked out! Drinking a quart in 100 miles would produce a blue cloud that would do a Hollywood smoke generator proud, in addition to having the back of the bus literally DRIPPING with it...I'm guessing it's leaking it. Oil pan, rear main seal, valve covers...I'd bet one or all of these are dumping it all over the place.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Yeah if it was burning that much you would probably have some serious smoke.

The two stroke detroits have "slobber tubes" that let slobber drain from the air box. The two strokes really like to mark their territory. They tend to leak at every gasket. Sort of like my old Mitsubishi Mighty Max.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:51 AM   #13
Almost There

No I rarely have blue smoke at all. My friend is a diesel mechanic and smelled the exhast saying it doesnt smell like there is much oil being burned.

There is no oil leakage anywhere. its like the oil is disappearing.. i dunno were gonna take a deeper look later.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:55 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
If it's not going out the exhaust or on the ground, the only other place it can going is in the coolant
Old 08-08-2006, 05:54 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:

The two stroke detroits have "slobber tubes" that let slobber drain from the air box. The two strokes really like to mark their territory. They tend to leak at every gasket.
i've been reading a lot of ebay adds lately scoping out a "new" tour bus. I notice many ads claim that they have a DD 71 or 92 series engine that "doesn't use any oil". whenever i read that, the credibility of the seller is diminished significantly.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:57 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Well they say it does not use any oil. They don't mention anything about leaking oil
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
I saw a Detroit 8V71 in a General tractor that used less than a gallon in 2500 miles. No leakage at all.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote