Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Bus Nut

I would like some advice (not bus related)

I am working on making a couple of tools to use in my business. I would like to build them so I do not need electricity to use them. This will also help me not have to visit the gym, hopefully. I know there is a ton of knowledge on this board of things related to buses, vehicles, and the like. I also see that there is much knowledge of other subjects, that is what I need right now.

I cut and grind/polish used empty bottles into drinking glasses and vases and other needful things. I do this by hand, but as business is improving I need to mechanize to keep up with demand. I really don't want to add any more electricity based equipment, I would prefer to make my process greener, and more portable. This is an example of what I make:

What I am trying to make is a couple simple machines for cutting and grinding/polishing glass bottles. I was thinking of using something like this with modification for tabletop and circular wet diamond saw blade (like a wet tile saw)with water tub underneath.

What do you all think would be pro's and cons here? Suggestions?

The second machine I need seems a bit trickier to me. I need a machine that rotates a diamond grinding disk in the horizontal position with a gravity fed water system. Similar to this but powered by treadle and flywheel like the above machine:

I need it to handle a 12" disk. Water feed seems pretty simple, a hose and valve to control dripping. I am more concerned with the conversion of energy from the vertical to the horizontal. Has anyone ever made anything like these? Suggestions? Ideas? Thoughts?
I am also considering a combination machine like this:

But I don't want to grind on the vertical if I can avoid it. It makes getting a parallel to bottom surface harder.
Thanks in advance!!

Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72
Re: I would like some advice (not bus related)

For grinding or polishing you might use something like a pottery kick wheel. It has a large cement fly wheel under the table to "kick" with your foot to operate. If it is not fast enough you could gear it up, the fly wheel will help maintain speed.

http://www.madisonartshop.com/brentmode ... 4AodiVYA8g

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Re: I would like some advice (not bus related)

These come to mind

Lathe

Or perhaps easier to find.

This table saw looks fairly easy to build. Using construction materials like the lathe you showed.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote