Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Ice Storm!

The weatherman said we were going to have some ice, but damn! I have lived in Oklahoma for most of my life and I've never seen an ice storm this bad. There is at least 3/4" of ice on everything. Power lines, blades of grass, and every little twig on a tree. I'd say that at least half of the trees on base here are destroyed. The rest of them are going to be terribly scarred. There is a giant tree out in my front yard. It was looking pretty pathetic this morning. I moved my wife's car about 5 minutes before a big branch came down where it was sitting! I can't get my bus out of my driveway because the tree has fallen apart behind it. When the tree branches break, it sounds like a shotgun blast and then the branch comes crashing down. It's pretty incredible. There's a couple cars that have trees sitting on them. A quarter of a million people in the Oklahoma City area are without power. My power keeps flickering, but we still have it. I have a generator if it goes out. I went to check on my grandma earlier. She has a giant tree in her front yard that's about 75 feet tall. It is probably over 100 years old, and it's totally destroyed. Fortunately, it didn't fall on her house. She has another big tree in her back yard that is crushing her shed and patio. Driving around town, there isn't one tree that doesn't have significant damage. This place is going to have some jacked up trees for years after this is over. Oh, and it's still coming down and is supposed to do this tonight too. It's a real mess! Check out some pictures I took. My camera doesn't do any justice though. It looks a lot worse when you can see all of the damage at once.

This tree is in a lot worse shape now than when I took the picture. You can't even drive down the street.

Looking down my street. These trees don't look as bad as some of the others around the base and around town. Different types of trees break easier than others. Cottonwood's aren't doing so hot. That gay car in the photo isn't mine by the way.

The next street over. Check out the Bonneville with a big tree branch sitting on it. This is (was) a nice car too.

Here's a power pole down the street from me. This is how a lot of them are looking. I don't know why I still have power!

Looking down my street towards my house.

Looking out into my back yard.

The neighbors.

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Ice Storm!

This storm is a lot like one we had here in January of 2001. These are the worst kind of storms we get. We are lucky to still have power - lots of people are out including my mother-in-law. Standing outside, you can hear trees crashing in the woods around the house every few minutes. Pics from our house:

dentarthurdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I was still living in New Jersey when the ice storm hit in 2001. Out by Ft. Cobb lake about an hour west of here, the trees still look absolutely horrible from that ice storm. I remember back in 1987, we had a bad ice storm right at Christmas time. I got a new bicycle for Christmas and I wanted to ride it really bad. This bike had a little speedometer and odometer on it. My dad backed the cars out of the garage and I rode that bike in circles for 22 miles! HA! The cars slid down the hill and into the woods. Today when I was at my grandma's house, her driveway is on a slope. I pulled my truck in and put the E-brake on. I came back out later and it was halfway in the street! DOH! I'm glad nobody hit it!

I was just watching the news, and a guy from the fire department was on there telling people not to be using charcoal grills inside the house. They wouldn't be saying it if there weren't idiots that were doing it.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief
I was just watching the news, and a guy from the fire department was on there telling people not to be using charcoal grills inside the house. They wouldn't be saying it if there weren't idiots that were doing it.
Darwinism at it's finest.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Here's a story on the storm on Fox news.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316271,00.html

edit: CNN has a story on it too... Says 600,000 without power!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/weather/12/1 ... index.html
Old 12-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I love the Christmas wreath on the front of the bus. Drivers up here actually do that on their regular route buses. I've seen wreaths, Santa heads, reindeer, even a Menorah. Separation of Church and State, yada yada yada...I think it's a neat thing to do. Santa does a great job of taking the place of a weather front or shutters I bet.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Skoolie

Great pics. I'm 6 hours south of you in Abilene. Light ice here, nothing bad. Hey when spring comes we need to meet at Witchita Mtns. refuge and camp, hike and drink. Great place!
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprobate
Great pics. I'm 6 hours south of you in Abilene. Light ice here, nothing bad. Hey when spring comes we need to meet at Witchita Mtns. refuge and camp, hike and drink. Great place!
Did somebody say drink? I've camped there several times and it is an awesome place! Pretty too. Sounds like a plan!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
Skoolie

I'm there. And I'll bring that welding GF of mine. I love bourbon and make a great margarita!
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:56 PM   #10
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
I love the Christmas wreath on the front of the bus. Drivers up here actually do that on their regular route buses. I've seen wreaths, Santa heads, reindeer, even a Menorah. Separation of Church and State, yada yada yada...I think it's a neat thing to do. Santa does a great job of taking the place of a weather front or shutters I bet.
We always used to put wreaths on the push-bumpers of our squads when I was on the night shift. We had a fun crew back then.

Sorry to see the damage down there. We have relatives in OK and haven't heard from them. Hopefully all is well.
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Wait a minute...you're a COP in Duluth? It's probably a good thing I got out of that town.

I lived in a neighborhood that might have been considered "busy" by LEOs.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #12
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm

I live in Duluth and work in Superior.
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:33 AM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 84

We went to the city this evening to get some supplies. The nearby town of Luther (pop. ~1100) was completely dark as was most of Route 66. There were places where fallen trees had blocked the road on 66 but had been cleared enough to pass. Fortunately the roads were pretty clear as the temp has been just above freezing since this afternoon. Makes me think I need to get the bus done sooner - would be nice to have a home on wheels to use if we lost power or to get out of the way of tornadoes, etc.
dentarthurdent is offline   Reply With Quote