Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Re: I'd like to introduce myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKing
I appreciate all the warm welcomes!

I live in washington state so the odds of my finding a crown for sale within a reasonable distance aren't too terribly bad. I know the local school district has a bus the kids call "the twinkie bus." I saw it a few times last year before I started paying attention to buses, but I'm sure it must be a crown.

Have any of you ever called school district offices directly to find out their procedure for decomissioning buses?
Chad, Yes you may get results from local school districts. Some of the schools here in Florida auction their busses thru a broker & they advertise it, but not heavily so you can get some great deals. Only one of the local districts sold their busses from the yard. Most say their liability insurance requires they sell thru a broker to avoid any legal action. That is about what I learned when researching! I agree with you on buying a bus that was just retired... The busses have to pass an annual DOT inspection & they always maintain the busses well as, well, there are kids inside!

Make sure you take the time to inspect the bus thoroughly & if possible, take a diesel mechanic with you or have it inspected at a shop... plus with a mechanic around you will learn alot!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Re: I'd like to introduce myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKing
I appreciate all the warm welcomes!

I live in washington state so the odds of my finding a crown for sale within a reasonable distance aren't too terribly bad. I know the local school district has a bus the kids call "the twinkie bus." I saw it a few times last year before I started paying attention to buses, but I'm sure it must be a crown.

Have any of you ever called school district offices directly to find out their procedure for decomissioning buses? I'm sure all school districts are different, but I'm curious if anyone has had any luck with such a direct approach. The two Blue Birds I mentioned at the start of this thread both have '09 inspection tags, and consecutive bus numbers from the district (even consecutive serial numbers from the factory) and they're basically just parked on the side of the road, so i have a pretty good idea of what the school district in the next town over is doing. It's not exactly "side of the road" but it's just a small gravel lot with a sign that says "Park and Sell" and a phone number under it that says "please call this number before leaving your vehicle here." Anyway, since they obviously don't contract with an outside seller or auction house I'm thinking maybe next spring before school lets out, I'll just call around the three school districts in my area and see if i can find who's in charge of such things and ask them if they have any buses they plan on retiring. I'd really like to get a bus that's freshly retired, since I imagine the school districts probably keep them well maintained right up until they retire them.
My bus was from an in town school district. I actually bought it from a guy who had purchaced it from the school six months earlier. (He made 400.00 profit for letting it sit for a couple months) Anyway, look for the local bus barns and go in and talk with the shop foreman, mechanics, whoevers in the know. They can tell you a lot. I have talked with the mec who serviced my bus for 12 years. Got him on retainer. Our school district (as I assume all others) have strict guideline on maintenence. You might even score the maint. records for a bus your looking at. And if there is an auction/sale coming up, you could get a heads up on which on is in the best shape.
Good luck.