Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
as an RV alot of stuff goes out the window.. at least for now.. as most know some lawmakers want RV's to follow the same regulations as any vehicle its size...
Now, if only RV manufacturers would take a page out of the bus coach body companies and build them to bus standards, instead of S&S

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #12
Skoolie

Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Now, if only RV manufacturers would take a page out of the bus coach body companies and build them to bus standards, instead of S&S
Then they might be worth half of what they charge for the rv's.

Also i have to make sure but in ill i believe anything over 26,001 lbs requires a CDL without an RV registration. Yes it would be glorious to register the bus as a car or van. If i wait to register the bus i wont be able to drive it, but i will save on all the fees until it is done being converted. Or so my hope goes i have to ask.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Wow, I had mine retitled in Ill & DMV said you want it as a Bus we'll title it as a Bus, you want it as a RV we'll title it as a RV you want it titled as a Submarine we'll title it as a Submarine, this is what it will cost.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Oooooohhh! I WANT a submarine title! Imagine flashing that at some highway patrol.

"You have no jurisdiction over this vehicle officer. I only answer the The Department of the Navy".
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #15
Skoolie

Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Wow, I had mine retitled in Ill & DMV said you want it as a Bus we'll title it as a Bus, you want it as a RV we'll title it as a RV you want it titled as a Submarine we'll title it as a Submarine, this is what it will cost.
After you finished the conversion right?
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
This may play into it in my case. My bus was a special needs bus. A wheel chair bus with only enough seating for the attendant and driver. A DMV representative did inspect the bus immediately after purchase and agreed it did not have a passenger capacity, as I don't have a bunch of handicapped friends, and neither was it practical for hauling freight in a commercial sense. Hence, the DMV titled this medium size FE ('97 TC1000) as a van. They did rattle off about four requirements for it to be considered an RV. I told them I didn't intend to go with a conversion. This is my fishing van, a dry cabin with a wood stove by a high mountain lake. No apparent regulations about wood stoves in buses, other than general caution about co2 emissions from fueled heating devices. They decided this was not a commercial van and was not practical as a bus without considerable modifications. Therefor as a POV it's a truck, car or van. Maxi-van in my suggestion. Now titled as a van, insured as a POV. Yes, technically I need to get a class "B" Oregon license, and I currently only have a class "C" license with motorcycle endorsement. Class B licenses are required here for anything with air brakes to insure that you are aware of how to deal with the air brakes so you don't cause a great big crash. I understand it's basically a test where you walk around the vehicle with the DMV representative and identify braking mechanisms as well as answer associated questions.
I do have a very old license with numerous vehicles listed that include many with air brakes, so you probably don't have to fear for your safety from me.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:57 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
This may play into it in my case. My bus was a special needs bus. A wheel chair bus with only enough seating for the attendant and driver. A DMV representative did inspect the bus immediately after purchase and agreed it did not have a passenger capacity, as I don't have a bunch of handicapped friends, and neither was it practical for hauling freight in a commercial sense. Hence, the DMV titled this medium size FE ('97 TC1000) as a van. They did rattle off about four requirements for it to be considered an RV. I told them I didn't intend to go with a conversion. This is my fishing van, a dry cabin with a wood stove by a high mountain lake. No apparent regulations about wood stoves in buses, other than general caution about co2 emissions from fueled heating devices. They decided this was not a commercial van and was not practical as a bus without considerable modifications. Therefor as a POV it's a truck, car or van. Maxi-van in my suggestion. Now titled as a van, insured as a POV. Yes, technically I need to get a class "B" Oregon license, and I currently only have a class "C" license with motorcycle endorsement. Class B licenses are required here for anything with air brakes to insure that you are aware of how to deal with the air brakes so you don't cause a great big crash. I understand it's basically a test where you walk around the vehicle with the DMV representative and identify braking mechanisms as well as answer associated questions.
I do have a very old license with numerous vehicles listed that include many with air brakes, so you probably don't have to fear for your safety from me.
thats ultimately the way out for anyone who cant get titled as an RV is to get a CDL.. however each state is different in terms of what you have to do to actually operate the vehicle.. ie do you have to maintain a DOT sticker and therefore maintain DOT sticker, log books, adhere to driver hour restrictions, etc.. some states allow for a ommercial vehicle operated permanently still requiring a CDL but not requiring the DOT compliances...

in ohio its purely by GVWR.. if i want to register it as a Bus and its over 26000 lbs I need a CDL.. the laws read very uncear about whether I have to maintain DOT certification.. as an RV all that goes out the window.. and like i have mentioned ohio is quite lax because there are "RV's" skoolies all over that have only the lights painted over and some of the seats removed.. or seats replaced with just plain sofas... (ie Ohio state tailgating busses are everywhere in the fall)..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #18
Bus Geek

It's a POV, operated just like a POV. No DOT certification, just common sense maintenance like your car or truck or even van. No commercial insurance policy either.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
I do not think Ohio will let me get away with the passenger car thing even though my bus only ever had 3 seats and places for like 5 wheel chairs
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:47 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Yeah, you never know until you try. And watch your wording. It helps if you fill out the forms yourself too.