Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2016, 11:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

I'm fond of the 2002 saf-t-liner hdx! Where do i find one near me though?

Hello Skoolie Community!

I hope all is well. Ok! After recieving some wise counsel from some of this forums members, I made the decision not to pursue the rust carrying Saf-T-Liner mentioned in my previous post. I'm in the market for a Saf-T-Liner HDX at a decent price point now. (Preferably a 2002 model with reasonable miles for the year; and little to no rust.)

The bus that I was entertaining previously was being offered at a price point of $1500+Tax through a local bus company here. I'd prefer to pay no more than double this price ($3000); and potentially another $500 in pick-up/delivery costs. The HDX is a great fit because it's a blend between school bus, modern RV and motorcoach tour bus in appearance to me. I do believe it has underbody storage as well!

It'll serve as a home on wheels; along with the traveling coach for daughter www.audreymaree.com's literacy appreciation initiative tour. Therefore, engine recommendations are welcome! Please notify me as to where I can find one of these buses (links would be appreciated) in the midwest (Wisconsin) or somewhere close that won't be a major hassle to pick up/purchase.

I've had this bus in mind for quite some time; and the dog ear mirrors are cool looking in many respects! I look forward to your feedback; but even more to purchasing a bus in the very near future!

-Mr. Neal

Mr. Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:38 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Well, the HDX didn't hit the market until 2004. Prior to '04, there was simply the HD. An HDX will have a Cummins (there are 2 I believe) or Benz (which I would skip). The tranny will be Allison-supplied; one of the modern auto 5-Spd/OD (with unlockable 6th gear). Any of the Cummins would be fine with the Allison tranny. I'd look for the ISC over the ISB, however.

The real problem is that HDXs are bound to still be in service. If you find one for sale, it's likely to have a serious problem(s) or be really expensive. All the desirable features are options; i.e. White roof, underbelly storage, air ride, air driver's seat, etc. They are produced in many different configs. Of which, pickings will be slim for a couple more years, I would think.

Good luck!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
10-12 years the magic number for a lot of schools unless a bus is particularly high mileage or has issues... some school systems run them 15+ years esp if a bus has been reliable and is in good shape.. all depoends on the district..

im seeing a lot of busses on the market now friom the 2004-2007 timeframe sso HDX's will shoq up... however i imagine secondary schools, churches, activity groups, etc may really want them and drive the prices up.. (as will bus dealers who will definitely want those on their lots{marked up of course})..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat nose conversion, no rust, saf-t-liner, skoolie, wisconsin